BlackStar - HT-DUAL

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.

BlackStar - HT-DUAL

Postby Barata » 23 Dec 2008, 18:59

Hi,
I recently purchased one BlackStar HT DUAL.
The stompbox is amazing, nice clean tones and also heavy distortions! Really incredible, it transformers my selfmade 18w into a metal beast \m/ :evil: :evil:
If anyone is interested in his guts I could possible provide some hi-resolution photos. From the frame that it has in the top I can see a green PCB filled up with tons of components!

link: http://www.blackstaramps.co.uk/products/ht/htdual.html
Image
Barata
 
Posts: 22
Joined: 24 Aug 2007, 17:20
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 2 times

Re: BlackStar HT DUAL

Postby moltenmetalburn » 23 Dec 2008, 19:09

oh please do post pics of both sides of the circuit :applause: board!
"The Humans Will Never Destroy Us"
User avatar
moltenmetalburn
Resistor Ronker
 
Posts: 300
Joined: 03 Nov 2008, 15:01
Location: Dirty Jersey
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 3 times

Re: BlackStar HT DUAL

Postby jumper » 23 Dec 2008, 19:56

:applause: :applause: :applause:
jumper
 
Posts: 6
Joined: 04 Nov 2008, 10:18
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 0 time

Re: BlackStar HT DUAL

Postby Barata » 24 Dec 2008, 01:48

Hi once again!
I doubt that some one here will have enough patience to back engineer this all hole thing but even so here are the pics!
Unfortunately I didn't have the time to unscrew the second board so this first take only will show photos of the power supply board (both sides) and pre-board (circuit side).
It seems that it isn't a double side board but I didn't take to much attention.
So here it is some teasers:
Image
Image

and here the links to the extended photoshot
http://www.filefactory.com/file/affg3gb/n/2_zip
http://www.filefactory.com/file/affg30d/n/3_zip
http://www.filefactory.com/file/ag216h4/n/1_zip

I'll try to take photos from the pre-amp board (the interesting part indeed) as soon as possible.
If some one out there will try to make a schematic I can possible measure some values or take some more photos.

Mery Christmas for all of you and I hope that helped the community getting bigger! 8)

For this message the author Barata has received thanks:
modman (11 Oct 2011, 16:52)
Barata
 
Posts: 22
Joined: 24 Aug 2007, 17:20
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 2 times

Re: BlackStar HT DUAL

Postby Hanglow » 28 Dec 2008, 19:13

Here is their patent application for the ISF control. No parts values but has the tonestack schem. assuming its the same for the pedal as it is for the amp, which according to their webste it is
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

For this message the author Hanglow has received thanks:
modman (11 Oct 2011, 16:53)
Hanglow
 
Posts: 38
Joined: 30 Dec 2007, 21:25
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 1 time

Re: BlackStar HT DUAL

Postby kusi » 22 Jan 2009, 14:37

hey barata,

do you have any news for us? ;) i would like to see pictures of the preamp-board.

thanks a lot,
kusi
User avatar
kusi
Breadboard Brother
 
Posts: 111
Joined: 15 Aug 2007, 21:45
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 39 times

Re: BlackStar HT DUAL

Postby moltenmetalburn » 28 Jan 2009, 21:24

yes Id love to build one of these, please share more!
"The Humans Will Never Destroy Us"
User avatar
moltenmetalburn
Resistor Ronker
 
Posts: 300
Joined: 03 Nov 2008, 15:01
Location: Dirty Jersey
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 3 times

Re: BlackStar - HT-DUAL

Postby Barata » 29 Jan 2009, 14:25

Sorry guys I'm about to finish my last exam so I promise to take more photos from the preamp board asap....
I don't know if it worth the work to draw a schematic for this stombox cuz as you can see in the zipped files this pedal seems complex... (but I'm not an expert)
I hope to have some more news in the middle of the next week!
Barata
 
Posts: 22
Joined: 24 Aug 2007, 17:20
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 2 times

Re: BlackStar - HT-DUAL

Postby moltenmetalburn » 29 Jan 2009, 14:31

Barata wrote:Sorry guys I'm about to finish my last exam so I promise to take more photos from the preamp board asap....
I don't know if it worth the work to draw a schematic for this stombox cuz as you can see in the zipped files this pedal seems complex... (but I'm not an expert)
I hope to have some more news in the middle of the next week!



Take your time! no rush we just want to see this one continue to move. :D And IMO Anything that sounds good is worth REing no mater how complex someone here can definitely wade through it. we will need pics of equal quality of the preamp board and pot board if they're mounted.

Whats your opinion on this box, I cant seem to find a bad review anywhere! everyone that has one loves it. the sounds samples Ive heard are VERY convincing and the only negative comment Ive found was based around the "feel" of the pedal not the sound. Have you used the recording output? that gets rave reviews as well. :hmmm:

There is even a 5 watt amp version of this pedal. Its hte pedal mated with a 5 watt single bhz7 push pull poweramp. :secret:
"The Humans Will Never Destroy Us"
User avatar
moltenmetalburn
Resistor Ronker
 
Posts: 300
Joined: 03 Nov 2008, 15:01
Location: Dirty Jersey
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 3 times

Re: BlackStar - HT-DUAL

Postby alteredsounds » 29 Jan 2009, 21:43

Picked up a HT-DISTX about a week ago out of interest really and to have in the studio. Very very nice pedal, even the 'cab sim' output is very useable. I could post pics but I think the HT-Dual is the same thing but with more? If I'm wrong on that then sure I'll get some pics here.
User avatar
alteredsounds
Resistor Ronker
 
Posts: 256
Joined: 01 Oct 2007, 13:28
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 6 times

Re: BlackStar - HT-DUAL

Postby Barata » 07 Feb 2009, 15:44

moltenmetalburn wrote:
Barata wrote:Sorry guys I'm about to finish my last exam so I promise to take more photos from the preamp board asap....
I don't know if it worth the work to draw a schematic for this stombox cuz as you can see in the zipped files this pedal seems complex... (but I'm not an expert)
I hope to have some more news in the middle of the next week!



Take your time! no rush we just want to see this one continue to move. :D And IMO Anything that sounds good is worth REing no mater how complex someone here can definitely wade through it. we will need pics of equal quality of the preamp board and pot board if they're mounted.

Whats your opinion on this box, I cant seem to find a bad review anywhere! everyone that has one loves it. the sounds samples Ive heard are VERY convincing and the only negative comment Ive found was based around the "feel" of the pedal not the sound. Have you used the recording output? that gets rave reviews as well. :hmmm:

There is even a 5 watt amp version of this pedal. Its hte pedal mated with a 5 watt single bhz7 push pull poweramp. :secret:


I've never used the recording output but I've recently purchase a Toneport by Line6 and I'm sure that i'm going use it soon because the hi-gains sounds of the HT are much more realistic.
It isn't easy to make a fair judge about the clean sounds because I don't know how much "colour" is it really putting on the signal, but it really sounds good perhaps manly because I like the stock sound of the 18w. Now the good part, pressing down the crush button we can get a really nice overdrive sound, adjusting the level and gain pots I can easily get the sound of Dire Straits (soft overdrive), Deep Purple (sound of the main riff form the song "Knoking on your back door") and so on.....
The second channel, the one I use the most, can definitely get us into the metal world, adjusting the ISF to the Amercian side we can get that sound from Images n Words of Dream Theatre that I really love. Unfortunately my amp is filled with one celestion GreenBack so it doesn't have the V30 punch as you might expect. This pedal is really a must have!!

alteredsounds wrote:Picked up a HT-DISTX about a week ago out of interest really and to have in the studio. Very very nice pedal, even the 'cab sim' output is very useable. I could post pics but I think the HT-Dual is the same thing but with more? If I'm wrong on that then sure I'll get some pics here.


The HT-Distx is manly the second channel of HT but for simplifying this project it would be nice if you share as well.

I'm just uploding the pics in a few minutes I'm post the link! :applause:
Barata
 
Posts: 22
Joined: 24 Aug 2007, 17:20
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 2 times

Re: BlackStar - HT-DUAL

Postby Barata » 07 Feb 2009, 16:27

Photo Shot PART II
http://www.filefactory.com/file/afg8622/n/BlackstarHT_rar
During the next 24h I'll not cover or mount it back so feel free to ask me any values or any IC numbers that you cant see or some part that you wish to see it better!

Let the game begin! :popcorn:

For this message the author Barata has received thanks:
modman (11 Oct 2011, 16:53)
Barata
 
Posts: 22
Joined: 24 Aug 2007, 17:20
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 2 times

Re: BlackStar - HT-DUAL

Postby moltenmetalburn » 07 Feb 2009, 17:33

I cant download the pics it wants me to join a paid service, any reason you cant just upload em here at FSB?
"The Humans Will Never Destroy Us"
User avatar
moltenmetalburn
Resistor Ronker
 
Posts: 300
Joined: 03 Nov 2008, 15:01
Location: Dirty Jersey
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 3 times

Re: BlackStar - HT-DUAL

Postby Barata » 07 Feb 2009, 17:59

moltenmetalburn wrote:I cant download the pics it wants me to join a paid service, any reason you cant just upload em here at FSB?

If you scroll down you will seel something like "Try FileFactory's Basic service" click on it and type the password that you will see above.
You asked me for Hi-quality pics so I have you, and all the community, a 128 megas pack of them. Hope you like it....
Barata
 
Posts: 22
Joined: 24 Aug 2007, 17:20
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 2 times

Re: BlackStar - HT-DUAL

Postby bajaman » 08 Feb 2009, 00:06

okay - this looks like it may take some time to RE but I'm going to make a start on it tonight.
cheers
bajaman
be kind to all animals - especially human beings
User avatar
bajaman
Old Solderhand
 
Posts: 4263
Joined: 26 Jun 2007, 22:18
Location: New Brighton, Christchurch, NZ
Has thanked: 411 times
Have thanks: 1389 times

Re: BlackStar - HT-DUAL

Postby moltenmetalburn » 08 Feb 2009, 18:03

Barata wrote:
moltenmetalburn wrote:I cant download the pics it wants me to join a paid service, any reason you cant just upload em here at FSB?

If you scroll down you will seel something like "Try FileFactory's Basic service" click on it and type the password that you will see above.
You asked me for Hi-quality pics so I have you, and all the community, a 128 megas pack of them. Hope you like it....



Hmm seems like it just wasn't working when I was trying , got em now thanks! :thumbsup


and YAY! Bajaman to the rescue on this one! :applause:
"The Humans Will Never Destroy Us"
User avatar
moltenmetalburn
Resistor Ronker
 
Posts: 300
Joined: 03 Nov 2008, 15:01
Location: Dirty Jersey
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 3 times

Re: BlackStar - HT-DUAL

Postby Barata » 09 Feb 2009, 00:30

bajaman wrote:okay - this looks like it may take some time to RE but I'm going to make a start on it tonight.
cheers
bajaman


Let me try to help you:
IC1 - TL072
IC2 - TL072
IC3 - TL072
IC4 - TL072
IC5 - TL071 here is a mistake in the artwork there is some other ic5 in the power section an that one is a 3843AN
IC6 - TL072
IC7 - TL072
IC8 - TL072
IC9 - TL072

FET1 - J175
FET2 - J175
FET3 - J175 PRE-AMP Board
FET4 - J175
FET5 - J175

TR1 - MPSA13 PRE-AMP Board
TR2 - MPSA13

Fet6 - IRF830 Power board

REG1 - KA7815
REG2 - Ka7915 Power board

POTS
Gain - 50k A and 220K A
Bass - 30K A
Level - 10K A
Treble - 50k A
ISF - 10K
Middle - 10K A
Barata
 
Posts: 22
Joined: 24 Aug 2007, 17:20
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 2 times

Re: BlackStar - HT-DUAL

Postby bajaman » 09 Feb 2009, 06:34

thanks Barata - this one is gonna take a few weeks I think.
cheers
bajaman
be kind to all animals - especially human beings
User avatar
bajaman
Old Solderhand
 
Posts: 4263
Joined: 26 Jun 2007, 22:18
Location: New Brighton, Christchurch, NZ
Has thanked: 411 times
Have thanks: 1389 times

Re: BlackStar - HT-DUAL

Postby bajaman » 20 Mar 2009, 05:24

Okay folks
I have made some considerable progress - here is the schematic for the high voltage smps supply.
http://freestompboxes.org/members/bajam ... /Blackstar
I will release other pieces of the circuit bit by bit as my time allows.
I will design a pcb and component layout for the power supply section if anyone is interested in using it.
CAUTION: this is a high voltage (270 - 300v DC) switching supply it can give you a nasty kick like a mule if you are not careful with it.
I will be building a prototype when the parts arrive and I will publish it as a stand alone DIY project.
cheers
bajaman
be kind to all animals - especially human beings

For this message the author bajaman has received thanks: 2
atreidesheir (11 May 2013, 14:01), modman (11 Oct 2011, 16:53)
User avatar
bajaman
Old Solderhand
 
Posts: 4263
Joined: 26 Jun 2007, 22:18
Location: New Brighton, Christchurch, NZ
Has thanked: 411 times
Have thanks: 1389 times

Re: BlackStar - HT-DUAL

Postby soulsonic » 20 Mar 2009, 06:14

Thanks Bajaman! This could be a very useful building block for all sorts of valve-related things.

For this message the author soulsonic has received thanks:
ultralord (09 Dec 2017, 11:47)
User avatar
soulsonic
Old Solderhand
 
Posts: 3530
Joined: 27 Jun 2007, 04:38
Location: Buffalo, NY
Has thanked: 56 times
Have thanks: 267 times

Next

Return to Boutique Stompboxes dissected...

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

cron