Mid-Fi Electronics - Clari(not)

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
rosettastoned
Information

Post by rosettastoned »

frequencycentral did you fix this board?? u knoe de r13 problem and how big is this borad?? can any gime some size??

thanks.

frequencycentral
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by frequencycentral »

Yeah the board is fixed and re-uploaded. The corrected version says 'RDH 06/10' bottom right of the board. To print the pnp the correct size people are using a .1 inch grid in photoshop. An ICs pin spacing will match the grid when correctly sized.

rosettastoned
Information

Post by rosettastoned »

pretty thanks... i'll post any review of this project.

the3secondrule
Solder Soldier
Information
Completed builds: GGG Phase45
Fuzz Factory Clone
Shin Ei Companion Fuzz
EHX LPB
Fuzz Face
Zvex Machine
GGG Green Ringer
woolly mammoth
SHO
Microamp
Noise swash
Phaseur Fleur
Catalinbread SVT
valvecaster
CE2 Chorus
Aquapuss

Post by the3secondrule »

Just built the Clari(not) - my first perfbuild, I used the vactrol vtl5c2, and did the fuzz lift mod.

I can confirm that with my vactrol, the envelope still tracks really well on the clean setting...
"Rock music is mostly about moving big black boxes from one side of town to the other in the back of your car."

stanimal08
Information

Post by stanimal08 »

Yo Freq,
so i have built two of your clarinot cubed deluxe pcb's in an effort to get a super-mega-midfi monster pedal i'm working on the edge it needs to be a one of a kind beast and after many weeks troubleshooting it i've found the following:

with the design as it stands, i cannot get any sound out of it, i think due in large part to the clarinot needing all 9volts of power in order to work properly (i have found that in the past i've tried to use the real clarinot with a 9volt battery plugged into a makeshift jack and it wouldn't run at all if the battery was even remotely drained) and since you have the LFO piggy-backing the voltage to the clarinot it is causing some sort of issue with power....

in order to test my theory i jumpered the 4001 diode directly to the lm7805 (as opposed to the power going through the LFO first) and it came to life FINALLY....

thoughts....?

frequencycentral
Cap Cooler
Information

I didn't build that layout ever, but guy over at DIYSB did, and verified it. So I guess you either hve an error somewhere, or the power issue you mention is because your power supply isn't delivering enough ma.........?

stanimal08
Information

Post by stanimal08 »

Ummm yeah.... Might have something to do with my dumbass misreading your parts list and dropping a TL072 into the LFO instead of 062 which I do not currently have... Although those aren't that different, it's possible its affecting the voltage going to the clairinot portion of the circuit....

But everything else is exactly like it should be... I'm ordering the 062's tonight and if that's the prob I'll be posting a "my apologies" post to you shortly...

For what it's worth, with the jumper currently in place the circuit works beautifully and is a lot of fun to sit and dial in the different delay modulation....

Hides-His-Eyes
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Hides-His-Eyes »

sounds more like a mistake in the power section to be honest. I think for anything we'd be doing an 072 is a perfectly acceptable sub for an 062.
Testing, testing, won too fwee

stanimal08
Information

Post by stanimal08 »

Hides-His-Eyes wrote:sounds more like a mistake in the power section to be honest. I think for anything we'd be doing an 072 is a perfectly acceptable sub for an 062.
Thanks.... i wasn't so sure... to be safe i'm getting some 062's and then going back and retracing all the tracks to make sure they match up correctly... it wouldn't be the first time i drilled a hole for a resistor that was meant to go to another track.... :slap:

i'm curious about the pot size for the speed control (i may have missed it if someone mentioned it in the thread already) as i used 100kb....

kinski
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by kinski »

Okay, so I'm going to be building Frequency Centrals' Clari(not) Cubed Deluxe. His layout did not include pot values. Will these work?

TRACK 1kB
DELAY 100kB
DEPTH 100kB
VOL 100kA
BLEND 25kB
SPEED 100kB

Also, are both the Fuzz Lift and LFO/ENV switch DPDT?

stanimal08
Information

Post by stanimal08 »

kinski wrote:Okay, so I'm going to be building Frequency Centrals' Clari(not) Cubed Deluxe. His layout did not include pot values. Will these work?

TRACK 1kB
DELAY 100kB
DEPTH 100kB
VOL 100kA
BLEND 25kB
SPEED 100kB

Also, are both the Fuzz Lift and LFO/ENV switch DPDT?
Those are the correct pot values and I used a 100kb for my speed pot and may tinker with different values to see if i get any more control over the rate.... the switches can be SPST....

kinski
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by kinski »

Hey, finally had the time to put this together. THe PCB and Layout work just fine. Very cool pedal. Thanks!

stanimal08
Information

Post by stanimal08 »

frequencycentral wrote:I didn't build that layout ever, but guy over at DIYSB did, and verified it. So I guess you either hve an error somewhere, or the power issue you mention is because your power supply isn't delivering enough ma.........?
You are absolutely correct, the error was definitely mine, i found a strip of mis-labeled resistors in a drawer and discovered i had placed a 2.2 ohm resistor where the 2.2 MEG resistor should have been... now it's 100% functional and a lot of fun....

as always, great work Frequency Central!! :applause: :applause: :applause:

kinski
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by kinski »

Yeah! Thanks to Doug and Frequency Central for an awesome circuit!

This was also the first PCB I etched on my own! :horsey:

7763matt
Information

Post by 7763matt »

Hey, I just tried building this pedal from madbean's pcb. Problem is, I'm not getting any signal from the entire left side of the PT2399 chip or the photoresistor or anything in the middle of the circuit. I accidentally plugged a 12v adapter into it when I first tried it as well, so I was wondering if I royally screwed myself here. This is the layout so you know what I mean when I say the middle of the pcb.

kinski
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by kinski »

Hi all, still love this pedal...however....

With the fuzz lifted, the repeats come with a lot of white noise behind them. Is there a way to fix this? Or is this just the nature of the beast?

Threepwood
Information

Post by Threepwood »

Apologies if I'm being incredibly thick but is the SPST switch in the Madbean version On-On?

G5120fx
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by G5120fx »

Build this amazing circuit yesterday! Is the tracking Pot very subtle or did I make a mistake? I build it with Haralds Layout: http://www.sabrotone.com/wp-content/upl ... arinot.gif

frequencycentral
Cap Cooler
Information

Here's my recent version of the Cubed Deluxe:

...and a prize for guessing what the background is on the gut shot....

using this layout:

I'm gonna do a short run of PCBs if anyone's interested. PCBs are £10 GBP each including shipping (to anywhere). Paypal GIFT please to;

rickholt22 (AT) hotmail (DOT) com

Please state your forum name and postal address in the Paypal thingy.

rousejeremy
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by rousejeremy »

A big ass roll of rainbow wire that you used to use on everything?