Clay Jones Overdrive [ goop-alarm ]  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
madbean
Information

Post by madbean »

Well, are the mids at least "haunting"?

lrgrbt
Information

Post by lrgrbt »

bacaruda wrote:
guiltyspark wrote:Guess Clay didn't like the LED clipping and went right for the symmetrical diodes.

That probably came about because I told him I liked things about the Landgraff in 2 of the modes (switch position all the way up & all the way down) and that I could not use them on the fly. That is why I had 2 Landgraff's at that time. He said he could combine the 2 setting and hard wire it so to speak...

So.. this is probably why you see the S Diodes.

BB

lrgrbt
Information

Post by lrgrbt »

bacaruda wrote:Wow . . . I feel like a little kid who just found out that Santa isn't real.

Wonder if this will affect the used price at all? Methinks there might be some purple people on TGP when word gets out.

Thanks for the photo Bob, and thanks for working on the schem AG!
It should not affect the value of the originals because there is still a question unanswered. Did he build all of them this way or did he use another design? This is just one example and my OD he built for me. I knew going in mine was a TS variant. I just did not know how much he had borrowed from John - and other modders before.

So, the mystery still remains to a great degree...

Ghandi
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Ghandi »

lrgrbt,
would you be so kind to tell us the values of the components in your cj screamer, please?

I'm wondering how close it is to a landgraff/ts, cos as we know a few value changes can make a "big" difference to the sound... :wink:

...thanks to the rumble mod, eternity, lgw and so on...

anyway, thanks man!

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

lrgrbt wrote:
bacaruda wrote:Wow . . . I feel like a little kid who just found out that Santa isn't real.

Wonder if this will affect the used price at all? Methinks there might be some purple people on TGP when word gets out.

It should not affect the value of the originals because there is still a question unanswered. Did he build all of them this way or did he use another design? This is just one example and my OD he built for me. I knew going in mine was a TS variant. I just did not know how much he had borrowed from John - and other modders before.

So, the mystery still remains to a great degree...
At least 4 units are build as shown in my tracing....
No. B11 for Donner Husk
No. B17 for smudged
and two others

and I assume they are built with two LED´s symmetrical clipping.

analogguru
There´s a sucker born every minute - and too many of them end up in the bootweak pedal biz.

guiltyspark
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by guiltyspark »

bacaruda wrote:
guiltyspark wrote:Guess Clay didn't like the LED clipping and went right for the symmetrical diodes.
it looks to me like there are three diodes in the feedback loop. :)
You might be right, I see 2 diodes clearly, can't really tell if it's a 3rd diode or straight wire in the 3rd socket. No LED's, that for sure-

Guiltyspark

lrgrbt
Information

Post by lrgrbt »

At least 4 units are build as shown in my tracing....
No. B11 for Donner Husk
No. B17 for smudged
and two others

and I assume they are built with two LED´s symmetrical clipping.

analogguru

Exactly.... I simply provided the front view so you (Analogguru) could verify. You have done so and from this point on, folks will have to make their own reasonable deductions on this matter.
Last edited by lrgrbt on 01 Feb 2008, 18:23, edited 1 time in total.

lrgrbt
Information

Post by lrgrbt »

Ghandi wrote:lrgrbt,
would you be so kind to tell us the values of the components in your cj screamer, please?

I'm wondering how close it is to a landgraff/ts, cos as we know a few value changes can make a "big" difference to the sound... :wink:

...thanks to the rumble mod, eternity, lgw and so on...

anyway, thanks man!
With all due respect, I will not share that info.

I shared the top shot for verification only.

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

This is like if you would ask:
"lrgbt,
would you please be so kind and disclose the values of the gooped Bob Burt overdrive ?"
The result (w)could be the same.....

But I tell you something:
The two big (coupling) capacitors are 1µF and in the same position as in the Landgraff.....
The gain resistor (to U/2) of the first opamp is 1k - as in the landgraff....
The series resistor to the gain poti is 10k - as in the landgraff....
There are three diodes and they will be configured like the asymetric mode..... in the landgraff....

So take the landgraff schematic and remove the mode switch together with the 3 diodes - and you will have the production model of the CJOD.

Or you take the landgraff schematic and remove the mode switch with the 2 leds and you will have the Bob-Burt-version of the CJOD.... or is this version already the gooped Bob-Burt-Overdrive ? Maybe you have to increase one or two capacitors in size for more bass ?

analogguru
There´s a sucker born every minute - and too many of them end up in the bootweak pedal biz.

KHELSTROM
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by KHELSTROM »

What do you mean Santa isn't real? :lol:

lautmaschine
Information

Post by lautmaschine »

Hmrf. Missed the photo -- and I was even checking for it last night! Can someone PM me or repost? Many thanks

lrgrbt
Information

Post by lrgrbt »

analogguru wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

This is like if you would ask:
"lrgbt,
would you please be so kind and disclose the values of the gooped Bob Burt overdrive ?"
The result (w)could be the same.....

But I tell you something:
The two big (coupling) capacitors are 1µF and in the same position as in the Landgraff.....
The gain resistor (to U/2) of the first opamp is 1k - as in the landgraff....
The series resistor to the gain poti is 10k - as in the landgraff....
There are three diodes and they will be configured like the asymetric mode..... in the landgraff....

So take the landgraff schematic and remove the mode switch together with the 3 diodes - and you will have the production model of the CJOD.

Or you take the landgraff schematic and remove the mode switch with the 2 leds and you will have the Bob-Burt-version of the CJOD.... or is this version already the gooped Bob-Burt-Overdrive ? Maybe you have to increase one or two capacitors in size for more bass ?

analogguru
You try to be helpful and share... hahahah

Have fun with it guys...

Peace - Over and out...
Last edited by lrgrbt on 01 Feb 2008, 21:33, edited 2 times in total.

noelgrassy
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: MOTS Magnatone & Trainwreck
Completed builds: Tonebender Mk II w/ 3 OC75's, Burns BuzzAround w/NKT 275,Rangemaster w/ OC44, Fuzz Face w/ SKS363's, CJOD, Harmonic Percolator w/2N404A & 2N3635(vintage correct box,sliding pots, 1%glass resistors),Stack-O-Dimes & Whipple Wahs,

Post by noelgrassy »

Awe crap! I've been reading this f?cker from the begining and when I got to the "money shot" it'd been pulled a few minutes prior. I trust AG or modman secured a copy you can post to keep this thread complete. Apparently it still doesn't disclose all the values so I'm going back to building the LORD Briggs so generously shared with us. Thanks Bob, love the cabinetry!
Copyright does not protect facts, ideas, systems, or methods of operation, although it may protect the way these things are expressed. US Copyright Office

Deaj
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Deaj »

analogguru wrote:
...So take the landgraff schematic and remove the mode switch together with the 3 diodes - and you will have the production model of the CJOD.

...analogguru
My Landgraff DO clone (using the LED clippers) does sound very close to what I remember my CJOD sounding like (sold the CJOD a while back).

Greg
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Tophat Emplexador & Supreme 16.
Completed builds: LOTS..

Post by Greg »

lrgrbt wrote:
Greg_G wrote:If Bob Burt posts the pictures he promised of his un-gooped CJOD, and they match the gooped layout AG posted.... I think that will be the ballgame over.

How did you go with that camera Bob ?
Hey Greg,

I am a man of my word. It took me a while to get a good picture for starters.

Edited

* Photo posted for several hours. I am sure copies were made so now, please share it amongst yourselves via PM etc.

BB
Bob

I want to thank you for sharing the pic.

If anyone wants a copy, drop me a PM (please include an email address so i can send the pic directly to you).

Greg

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

Here we go for a bargain-deal:
https://cgi.ebay.com/Clay-Jones-Overdri ... dZViewItem

"the-seattle-rocker" is selling his CJOD/Landgraff/TS-CLone for a starting price of only $750,--. If you are lucky, you can get it for this money and study everything inside the clone of a clone of a TS.

analogguru

Greg
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Greg »

analogguru wrote:Here we go for a bargain-deal:
https://cgi.ebay.com/Clay-Jones-Overdri ... dZViewItem

"the-seattle-rocker" is selling his CJOD/Landgraff/TS-CLone for a starting price of only $750,--. If you are lucky, you can get it for this money and study everything inside the clone of a clone of a TS.

analogguru
Lots more pics of this one here:- http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showth ... p?t=345147

I think some people are starting to realise what the CJOD actually is, and starting to panick about them dropping in value.

This story is a sad reflection on all those who let a pretty paint job and a reputation override their ears and their common sense IMO.
All those who made out the CJOD was the be all and end all of Overdrives, when if they'd been honest with themselves and others... they would have known it was a TS design.

The spin from the builder and the owners... and all the BS !!

Greg
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Greg »

And now Donner has his CJOD for sale on TGP :-

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showth ... p?t=347618

(and he's already sold his Bob burt OD)

:D :P :twisted:

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

Greg_G wrote:And now Donner has his CJOD for sale on TGP :-

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showth ... p?t=347618

(and he's already sold his Bob burt OD)

:D :P :twisted:
I think I have to change my mind concerning Donner:

Respect, this man seems to know what he is doing......
Do you remember the "Idolmaker" ?:
"...Remove the piss from the shit and box the rest for sale...."

:lol: :lol: :lol:

analogguru

Stressfest
Information

Post by Stressfest »

I don't think they were all TS derivitives somehow...I a/b mine against the LDO and it definately sounded more compressor like than a screamer imho. They were really as different sounding as two pedal could be... :wink: