Brian May's Deacy Amp secrets revealed  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
claus h
Information

Post by claus h »

grolschie wrote:
claus h wrote:
grolschie wrote:What is your guitar Claus? What pups? Thanks in advance.
It's Ibanez S-series mahogany body with an Dimarzio Air Norton pickup I played with a coin to get that May sound :)

Later

Claus
Brilliant. Thanks. Neck or bridge? Coil split/tapped? So the coin is a massive factor in getting the sound? I tried once and found it very hard to play with a coin. :)
Bridge in humbucker mode :) the coin makes a diffrence not huge but does a bit I think I am very close to the sound :)

grolschie
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by grolschie »

Your vibrato also helps achieve the sound. It does indeed sound very good. Somehow it has that hollow but in-your-face Brian May tone. BTW, I love "The Millionaires Waltz". Good job! Do you also do "Lazing on a Sunday Afternoon"?

claus h
Information

Post by claus h »

grolschie wrote:Your vibrato also helps achieve the sound. It does indeed sound very good. Somehow it has that hollow but in-your-face Brian May tone. BTW, I love "The Millionaires Waltz". Good job! Do you also do "Lazing on a Sunday Afternoon"?
Thanks mate :)

Setlist for the musical that I played in..

It´s a beautifull day, Let me live, Heaven is here for everyone, Somebody to love, Killer Queen, Love of my life, It´s a Kind of Magic, Friends will be friends, Best Friend, Millionaire Waltz, Innuendo, Too much love will kill You, You take my breath away..
Break
One Vision, Bohemian Rhapsody, Death on 2 legs, Who wants to live forever, We are the Champions, The Show must go on..

:) I don't play Lazing on a Sunday Afternoon but been know'n to play "Good Company" on the ukulele..

Later and thanks again

Claus

grolschie
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by grolschie »

Sounds like a fun band to go listen to.

claus h wrote:
vanessa wrote: Hey Claus, There's already a Brian May Treble Boost (si) built into the amp in the very first stage (you can't miss it). Yes it's an ok amp. The add on SS 10W power amp is pretty cool as without it there's not a whole lot of output from this circuit. They should have had it where you could bypass it if you wanted.
Yes it has a treble booster build in but, I think my homemade one sounds better sorry :)

Later

Claus
Are you willing to post the schematic for us please? If that's cool with you, that is. :-)

claus h
Information

Post by claus h »

grolschie wrote:Sounds like a fun band to go listen to.

claus h wrote:
vanessa wrote: Hey Claus, There's already a Brian May Treble Boost (si) built into the amp in the very first stage (you can't miss it). Yes it's an ok amp. The add on SS 10W power amp is pretty cool as without it there's not a whole lot of output from this circuit. They should have had it where you could bypass it if you wanted.
Yes it has a treble booster build in but, I think my homemade one sounds better sorry :)

Later

Claus
Are you willing to post the schematic for us please? If that's cool with you, that is. :-)
The schem is this Image

found at geofex..

I have a 10K resistor on the collector not the 6.8K I used a BC549C transistor.. that's it...

claus h
Information

Post by claus h »

This is the same guitar and the Vox Brian May Special Edition amp into a SM57 mic off axis..
http://www.hottubes.dk/samples/sample.mp3

Claus

grolschie
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by grolschie »

Nasty! Your diy treble booster sounds infinitely more like Brian's recordings than that Vox. Thanks for the schematic. Keep rockin'! :-)

vanessa
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by vanessa »

grolschie wrote:Nasty! Your diy treble booster sounds infinitely more like Brian's recordings than that Vox. Thanks for the schematic. Keep rockin'! :-)
What's funny is I have traced the "Deacy" Vox and that is the exact treble booster they use in the amp.

Mayniac
Information

Post by Mayniac »

claus h wrote:Setlist for the musical that I played in..
Hi Claus, did you by any chance play in the "We will rock you" musical? :shock: 8) :D

grolschie
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by grolschie »

vanessa wrote:
grolschie wrote:Nasty! Your diy treble booster sounds infinitely more like Brian's recordings than that Vox. Thanks for the schematic. Keep rockin'! :-)
What's funny is I have traced the "Deacy" Vox and that is the exact treble booster they use in the amp.
What about the rest of the amp? Speaker? Maybe the magic combo is Deacy/TrebleBooster + Vox AC30?

vanessa
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by vanessa »

grolschie wrote:
vanessa wrote:
What about the rest of the amp? Speaker? Maybe the magic combo is Deacy/TrebleBooster + Vox AC30?
If you speak of the VOX reissue Deacy amp, the stock speaker is crap (maybe $1 from China). all the rest of the amp is that schematic I posted (opamps subbed for the transformers) into a 10 SS amp for added power.

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

Here:
https://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff1 ... a/BMTB.gif

somebody posted a pcb-layout for the Brian May Treble Boost derivate (without input buffer).

Even when there is written for Q1: BC182L the PCB-layout is not constructed for the BC182L. The BC182L has the collector in the middle, the layout is drawn for base in the middle.

analogguru
There´s a sucker born every minute - and too many of them end up in the bootweak pedal biz.

grolschie
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by grolschie »

Thanks AG. :-)

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

Ok, here it is for the Brian-May-addicts, the original:

Guild Brian May Box schematic
from 1993, designed by Pete Cornish.

Funny that the Treble Booster in the Vox Cooltron Booster uses the same incorrect (2k4 instead of 2k2 emitter-resistor, 1n instead of 100p etc.) values which were posted before on the web.

enjoy,
analogguru
Last edited by analogguru on 29 Aug 2007, 10:15, edited 1 time in total.
There´s a sucker born every minute - and too many of them end up in the bootweak pedal biz.

bajaman
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by bajaman »

Mmmmmmm
buffered bypass, individual decoupling and base emitter high frequency roll off :wink:
I did not know this one existed :? It sure aint a treble booster :lol:
bajaman

grolschie
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by grolschie »

What's in Fryer's version? Anyone seen that one?

JHS
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by JHS »

For a "real" BM-TB look into the VOX AC30 BM.

The sound with the onboard TB is nearly identical to the sound with the TB-83 in front of it (the TB-83 is slightly more rude).

BTW: the Electrolead comp. sells copies of the Cornish stuff...

JHS

estragon
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by estragon »

Slightly OT, but I'm curious about the "Deacy" word.

Is it the name of the guy who first assembled such amp for guitar use, is it a brand, or maybe an english word I am not aware of?

In summary, where did the "Deacy Amp" get its name?

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

"Deacy" is a nickname/lovely word for John "Deacon" who was engaged about 1971 as a bassist for queen and who - is rumoured - should have built the first issue of such an amp which should be responsible for brian may´s sound.

More info you can find in this thread - only some pages back.

analogguru

estragon
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by estragon »

analogguru wrote:"Deacy" is a nickname/lovely word for John "Deacon" who was engaged about 1971 as a bassist for queen and who - is rumoured - should have built the first issue of such an amp which should be responsible for brian may´s sound.

More info you can find in this thread - only some pages back.

analogguru
Thanks AG. I had read that part of the story, but wasn't capable of making the Deacy-Deacon association as english is not my native tongue.