Way Huge - Aqua-Puss  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
mysticwhiskey
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by mysticwhiskey »

Try Bajaman's 'Wet Cat' build: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4310

hbo
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by hbo »

Someone asked me to do a vero layout for this effect. Thought I'd share it with the lot of you:

This is also reportedly verified (not by myself though).

jimmybjj
Information

Post by jimmybjj »

Do you think the 2n5089 would be a good sub for the transistor. I don't pay $8 shipping for 50 cents work of parts. Thanks to anybody that can help.

k1rkyd
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by k1rkyd »

hbo wrote:Someone asked me to do a vero layout for this effect. Thought I'd share it with the lot of you:

I noticed on the origional it says "67 cuts", now the number has changed! How many people has this been verified by? With what results?
I think it would be great if we could get someone who has built this and place it into a build report folder just like what they have done with the Klon.
I may put one together just for clarification for everybody that wants to build one of these, but i will need some build reports if thats ok with everyone?
My email address is supershad_1991@hotmail.com if you would like to send me some info. This process just makes it easier.

Thanks guys,
K1RKYD
I stepped up on the platform; a man gave me the news; he said "You must be joking son, where did you get those shoes?"

benobo
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by benobo »

k1rkyd wrote:
hbo wrote:Someone asked me to do a vero layout for this effect. Thought I'd share it with the lot of you:

I noticed on the origional it says "67 cuts", now the number has changed! How many people has this been verified by? With what results?
I think it would be great if we could get someone who has built this and place it into a build report folder just like what they have done with the Klon.
I may put one together just for clarification for everybody that wants to build one of these, but i will need some build reports if thats ok with everyone?
My email address is supershad_1991@hotmail.com if you would like to send me some info. This process just makes it easier.

Thanks guys,
K1RKYD

The Vero is verified. I have done it, it works like a charm.

theehman
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by theehman »

Got some of the original blue boards for sale here: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=13736
Ron Neely II
Electro-Harmonix info: http://electroharmonix.vintageusaguitars.com
Home of RonSound effects: http://www.ronsound.com
fx schematics and repairs

k1rkyd
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by k1rkyd »

Hey guys, I have built the vero version of this circuit and have noticed it doesn't really sound all that good! I have checked everything to; component values, cuts, component position etc. and everything seems to be in place! There is a high pitched whine, which i can't get rid of. Any clue as to why my pedal doesn't sound like the ones on youtube??

Any help is much appreciated.

K1rkyd
I stepped up on the platform; a man gave me the news; he said "You must be joking son, where did you get those shoes?"

k1rkyd
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by k1rkyd »

It's not often i have an oscilloscope right in front of me, but i have been trying to build this delay for some days now and it's getting frustrating.
I have the pedal on a bench with the scope next to it. I was just wondering if anyone could give me an idea of what i'm looking for in regards to biasing the trimpots?
If it was just the one trimpot, then i'd probably be ok, but on this occasion i'm not really sure how one would set all three! Any help would just be perfect.

K1RKYD

abfackeln
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by abfackeln »

Have you read my post back around page 14 of this thread? It's the rough way of setting these up, although I'm sure if you sub in a signal generator and your scope, you would quickly be able to figure out what's what......

KindaFuzzy
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by KindaFuzzy »

There's scope pictures, and some basic explanations in my flickr gallery: http://www.flickr.com/photos/35422385@N ... 332241798/

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Self-Built Valve Amp Head :)
Completed builds: Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face,Tone Bender Professional Mk 3,Tone Bender 3-Knob,Baja BK Butler Tube Driver,Baja Real Tube Overdrive,Roger Mayer Octavia,EH Soul Preacher,Tech 21 XXL Distortion,MFOS Weird Sound Generator.

Post by DrNomis »

dap9 wrote:
MrHuge wrote:Also, use multi-turn trimmers if you want to get the best calibration.
-Mr. Huge
Anyone care school me about why these are a good choice? I went ahead and ordered some, but don't really know the difference btween these and the other kinds. Thanks.

Basically, because the adjusting screw takes lots of 360 degree turns to adjust the trimpot through it's entire range, the adjustment is much finer and,or precise.... :thumbsup
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.

sadrew
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by sadrew »

Hi everybody, I've made this pedal using bajaman wet cat layout.

I got the pedal working and delay ok, but I can't make it going into self-oscillation.

Something am I missing?

k1rkyd
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by k1rkyd »

Hey guys. For a long time now i have been pulling my hair out over this thread! I have built the vero layout and i am getting some delay...... Just very distorted!
I chose to leave this project for some time, and mucked about with some distortion pedals to rejuvenate my enthusiasm :horsey: I have just this second picked up my build, and noticed that i am using a; 78L05 and not the 78L08 voltage regulator. How much difference will this make??
To save time, i have checked the datasheets for both but i'm not sure what kinds of voltages the v3205 needs? The links to the data sheets are below;

78L08
http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datashe ... /78L08.pdf

78L05
http://pdf.chinaicmart.com/78L/78L05.pdf

If anyone could point me in the right direction i would be EXTREMELY grateful :thumbsup

Cheers guys. :hug:

phibes
Transistor Tuner
Information
my favorite amplifier: HIWATT motherfucker!

Post by phibes »

Big difference, from what I remember and saw scanning is the xxx08 puts out 8V and the xxx05 puts out 5V. The v3205 doesn't operate right at 5V so that could be your problem. What I remember from working with v3205 circuits is that they operate best at about 7.2V-8.2V. Swapping that part out should do it.
GuitarlCarl - "TGP = The Gear Polishers"

Image Ken

k1rkyd
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by k1rkyd »

Thanks man :lol: I replaced the 05 with the 08 and it works perfectly well :hug: I was glad i saw that. The only component wrong on the board...

Thanks again
Kirk Dalton

LaceSensor
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by LaceSensor »

How essential is the 22 ohm resistor (R37 on the fabbed board, I have v1(?) the blue one)

Seems to be omitted from the vero...and its a value i dont have(!)

LaceSensor
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by LaceSensor »

Got this boxed up. Not done the design for the front.
A massive thanks to all the contributors in this thread for all the information and work supporting this project.

Seiche
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Seiche »

now that i ordered the dmm, I'm a little sad that i missed this. :(

Krinkle
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Krinkle »

Hi Guys,

I hope it's okay if I hijack a little bit. I have the red(ish) pcb and the IC that I would like to sell as I will never get around to building this, sadly. I would like to get what I paid for them plus shipping. I am in Toronto. PM me if you are interested.

Darrin

LaceSensor
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by LaceSensor »

Hey guys

sorry for the resurrection.
I just built the red version 2 board, having previously made the blue v1 (perfect).

I have an issue that bypass its fine, when switched in, it works all as it should. However, the volume is LOWERED a lot from the bypass.
This is quite a problem, as it means when you use the pedal, overall levels are dropped.

This is regardless of where the mix control is set. The straight signal is always there, as expected, and the repeats get louder as you turn it up of course, but the overall volume is less.
Fullly CCW, the straight signal is much lower.

Any tips what to check first?

Thanks