Way Huge - Aqua-Puss  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
disorder
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by disorder »

are the red boards much different than the original blue order?

abfackeln
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by abfackeln »

disorder wrote:are the red boards much different than the original blue order?
The red boards were identical to the blue boards, except for the ground connections that were overlooked on the blue board.

B_of_H
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by B_of_H »

are there boards available still?

i'm still really interested in giving this one a shot.

disorder
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by disorder »

got my hands on a scope and function generator and tried setting it up that way. I followed the directions on the Boss DM-2 schematic and ran into just one problem.

It says you need to adjust the clock trimmer (step one on the instructions) so that the square wave has a period of T=146us. Now if you look at the picture of the knobs, it shows the REPEAT RATE knobs at minimum. With this knob at minimum, I could only get the period of the square wave to go from 5us to 11us. With the knob at maximum, I could easily get the square wave to have a period of 146us (the trimmer let me go from 130us to 192us).

I haven't played through it after the setup but what could cause this? Is the Boss schem/instructions wrong?
Attachments
DM2PG2.jpg

Ed22
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Ed22 »

Hi,

I've built the Aquapuss project. It's the mini Version from Bajaman. I 've had problems with it but it works now with Baja' help. There is a last issue with it : i play a lespaul (so 2 humbuckers) and the delay repeats tend to distort specially with the bridge pick-up, with strong attack. this issue is not as intense with the neck pick-up. These pick-ups are stock. Anyone have an idea to decrease the gain of the delay input? looking at the schematic of the wet cat, i guess i should change one or two values on the input part (first part of the op-275G).

thanks for any kind of help,

cheers,

Ed.

my7of9
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by my7of9 »

I have had mine built for a while and I have poured over the entire thread more than once and I am have a technical difficulty I cannot seem to put my finger with anyone else here.
There is a (hard to describe OK) leftover klunk when I play sometimes. Especially noticeable when doing some pinch harmonics. At first I thought it was the result of my hand slapping back to the strings for a quick palm mute because that is almost what it sounds like but that is not it. I purposely played some pinch harmonics without palm muting and the offending klunk is still there. The klunk itself is almost as loud as the original signal so it is very annoying when it happens. Does not happen every single thing I play but often enough. Mostly when playing something funky or pinch harmonics. I have several other delays and none of them even come close to doing this when I play ever! It does not sound like anything grounded improperly or noisy like that but it is more in syncopation with what I am playing when it occurs and it is always a delayed effect in other words I play and then it happens. It is always 1 klunk and not multiple repeats. Honestly it is not my hand slapping back to the bridge or strings that I can tell.

I hope someone here has some ideas because other than this it sounds great and I had no problems building it or setting it up with the trimmers.

If you need pictures let me know.

Thanks,

Barry

Reginald
Information

Post by Reginald »

I think it's about time I post some pics of my build. I've had it working for about 2 months now. It sounds great, I could use a bit more tweaking on the trimpots, but thanks for all the hard work to everyone involved in supplying the boards, chips etc. :applause:

My super rare and valuable first edition board. :lol:

my7of9
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by my7of9 »

Does anyone have any ideas or thoughts about this please. Thanks for any help! :scratch:

my7of9 wrote:I have had mine built for a while and I have poured over the entire thread more than once and I am have a technical difficulty I cannot seem to put my finger with anyone else here.
There is a (hard to describe OK) leftover klunk when I play sometimes. Especially noticeable when doing some pinch harmonics. At first I thought it was the result of my hand slapping back to the strings for a quick palm mute because that is almost what it sounds like but that is not it. I purposely played some pinch harmonics without palm muting and the offending klunk is still there. The klunk itself is almost as loud as the original signal so it is very annoying when it happens. Does not happen every single thing I play but often enough. Mostly when playing something funky or pinch harmonics. I have several other delays and none of them even come close to doing this when I play ever! It does not sound like anything grounded improperly or noisy like that but it is more in syncopation with what I am playing when it occurs and it is always a delayed effect in other words I play and then it happens. It is always 1 klunk and not multiple repeats. Honestly it is not my hand slapping back to the bridge or strings that I can tell.

I hope someone here has some ideas because other than this it sounds great and I had no problems building it or setting it up with the trimmers.

If you need pictures let me know.

Thanks,

Barry

Jason13
Information

Post by Jason13 »

Hi guys. I just found this forum and think it is great! Usually I hang out at another forum. Anyway does anyone have any pcbs available? I know it is a little late. Thanks.

sinner
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by sinner »

Jason13 wrote:Hi guys. I just found this forum and think it is great! Usually I hang out at another forum. Anyway does anyone have any pcbs available? I know it is a little late. Thanks.
Hi :) try this viewtopic.php?f=17&t=4562&p=78411#p78411

jrod
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by jrod »

Fellas,
Any tips on soldering pcb mount pots to this board? I am wondering if it is best to mount the pots in the enclosure first. I've not used pcb mount pots before.
Thanks,
Jared

abfackeln
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by abfackeln »

Pages 19 and 20 from these BYOC analog delay instructions show one way to do it.....

http://buildyourownclone.com/analogdela ... ctions.pdf

jrod
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by jrod »

abfackeln wrote:Pages 19 and 20 from these BYOC analog delay instructions show one way to do it.....

http://buildyourownclone.com/analogdela ... ctions.pdf
Great! Thanks! :thumbsup

chris_88
Information

Post by chris_88 »

Hi,
Thats such a coooool project!!! :applause:
I have to build it.
Abfackeln would you please post the latest version of the PCB? please!!!! :mrgreen:
Or are there any more group-orders planned in the next time?

Sorry for my bad english.
Best regards
Christoph

sinner
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by sinner »

chris_88 wrote:Hi,
Thats such a coooool project!!! :applause:
I have to build it.
Abfackeln would you please post the latest version of the PCB? please!!!! :mrgreen:
Or are there any more group-orders planned in the next time?

Sorry for my bad english.
Best regards
Christoph

https://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic ... 981#p82981

chris_88
Information

Post by chris_88 »

Ok perfect... thats what I was searching for.
Thanks!

abfackeln
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by abfackeln »

That's pretty cool - thanks for the tip.
As far as the replicating effect, it should be pretty straightforward with most any graphics program. I use Adobe Flash for a lot of my pedal graphics, mostly because I used to use it for web design stuff, and I'm comfortable with it - took about 2 minutes to mock this up:

I imagine you can do similar in Photoshop, Fireworks, etc. For this example, I just made 3 instances of the phrase, and then used an "Inner Glow" effect on 2 of them, making the "glow" white, and the text itself the same color as the background... if you've got something in mind, and don't have availability to a graphics program, I'd be happy to whip something up for you.

sergedeep
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by sergedeep »

Guys, help me out here for a sec...

I'm trying to calibrate an aqua puss I just built, but get readings ranging between 50-140kHz on pin 4 of the MN3101(depending on where I set the delay knob), instead of the expected 6,8kHz. As this is about 10 times higher than what it is supposed to be, my guess is that I have put in a wrong value for a capacitor somewhere, but I have double checked everything and just don't see it. Anyone who can give me pointers as to where to look?

slash555
Information

Post by slash555 »

i have issue with pedal. build it, biased with no problem, everything is working normally except repeats are little distorted. i used cool audio v3205/3102

plop
Information

Post by plop »

First, Thank you to everyone for this tread !
I read all the tread but I couldn't find the layout to "impress" the PCB ( my english is really bad and I don't know the real name for this, sorry )
Can someone give me the right file ?

Thanks a lott