Mellowtone - Wolf Computer  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
culturejam
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by culturejam »

WhiteKeyHole wrote:Look to the Fuzz Face.
I did. I can't imagine how 101K feedback resistance would sound noticeably different form 100K.

Is there some other difference between a 1% deviation, or is it more of an issue of being correct to the exact Fuzz Face circuit?

WhiteKeyHole
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by WhiteKeyHole »

That's just it, as is drawn, the 100K resistor is no longer passing feedback from the emitter of Q3 to the base of Q2. How can it be, it is connected directly to ground.

culturejam
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by culturejam »

WhiteKeyHole wrote:That's just it, as is drawn, the 100K resistor is no longer passing feedback from the emitter of Q3 to the base of Q2. How can it be, it is connected directly to ground.

Yes, you are correct. I'll fix it later today. Thanks. It was late and I drew it up in about 5 minutes.

Actually, I first drew R5 correctly and then changed it to be wrong. I was looking back and forth between a couple screens (no printout). :slap:

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

looks about right once you fix the mistake. pretty simple circuit. I wonder if you could add an oscillation switch by switching in a filter cap from Vcc to Gr.
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

culturejam
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by culturejam »

Alright, this should do it.

///
Attachments
lupine_calculator_v1_schem.png
lupine_calculator_v1_schem.png (4.2 KiB) Viewed 3021 times

Greenmachine
Cap Cooler
Information
my favorite amplifier: Fender Blackface Deluxe Reverb
Completed builds: Electra Distortion
Roger Mayer Octavia
Klon Centaur (Bajaman/Soulsonic)
DOD 440 Envelope Filter
MXR Phase 90
DOD FET Preamp
Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face
Soulsonic Hunny Bunny Overdrive
BYOC Analog Delay
Craig Anderton Headphone Amp
Anderton Mini Amp
Bajaman Real Tube Overdrive
Fender Deluxe 5E3 with Tone Stack Mod.
Fender Princeton 5F2-a
Keen Neovibe
Aquapuss Delay
Anderton AMS-100 Guitar Synth (abandoned)
DOD 280 Compressor
Weird Sound Generator
Beavis Audio Noisy Cricket
80's Rat
ROG Thor
Big Muff
Green Ringer
Shin-Ei Fuzz
MXR Dynacomp
COT50
Really Cheap Compressor

Post by Greenmachine »

Thanks Culturejam (et al). I'm gonna build this neato thing sometime. :applause:
"[Y]ou want sketchy, dude? I breadboard on a door." -- RnFR, 2011
"This amp is freakin loud, like crazy, I'm going to kill pets loud." -- mich, 2011

IvIark
Tube Twister
Information

Post by IvIark »

Thanks cj, here's a quick layout if anyone wants to try it:

"If anyone is a 'genius' for putting jacks in such a pedal in the only spot where they could physically fit, then I assume I too am a genius for correctly inserting my legs into my pants this morning." - candletears7 - TGP

fuzzmax
Information

Post by fuzzmax »

Tried this vero....nothing....no sounds.....has someone else tried it??

IvIark
Tube Twister
Information

Post by IvIark »

I just checked it again and it certainly seems to match up with the schematic unless I've lost the plot. Did you put the hidden track cut in between the bottom leads of the 2M2 and 100n, and are you sure whatever transistors you've used are orientated CBE from top to bottom?
"If anyone is a 'genius' for putting jacks in such a pedal in the only spot where they could physically fit, then I assume I too am a genius for correctly inserting my legs into my pants this morning." - candletears7 - TGP

fuzzmax
Information

Post by fuzzmax »

yep, my track cuts are there and my 2n3904 are oriented the right way, at least they are like on the layout (straight side to the right). My offboard wiring is like this:

3pdt: 1-input
2-input jack tip
3-link with lug 6
4-output
5-ouput jack tip
7,8,9-nothing yet

battery snap: +9 to the board like the layout suggest
-9 to the sleeve on input jack
output jack: sleeve to the ground on vero board

Is this right??

IvIark
Tube Twister
Information

Post by IvIark »

Yes well the 2N3904 I have are orientated like that, so assuming there aren't variations from different manufacturers that should be ok. And you switch wiring sounds ok to me too assuming you're numbering the lugs like this:

1-4-7
2-5-8
3-6-9

If you check for continuity with a multimeter, are you seeing continuity between both socket sleeves and ground on the vero? You didn't mention whether or not you had the socket sleeves linked by wire and so I'm wondering whether there is a robust enough contact to ground through the case.

Is the switch passing the signal in the bypass position?

And if you didn't test it before soldering up the switch, while you've got the multimeter out, are you definitely getting the contacts switching over on the switch?

Failing all that can you take a front and back pic of the board just to see if anything jumps out.

fuzzmax
Information

Post by fuzzmax »

the grounding through the case is ok and yes I get a signal through bypass mode. When I touch the solder contacts and the transistors, there is some crackle but no wet signal. I took shots of it but wonder if its going to serve you!!
IMGP1493.JPG
IMGP1493.JPG (269.24 KiB) Viewed 2919 times
IMGP1490.JPG
IMGP1490.JPG (252.97 KiB) Viewed 2919 times
IMGP1491.JPG
IMGP1491.JPG (258.24 KiB) Viewed 2919 times

IvIark
Tube Twister
Information

Post by IvIark »

Nothing is jumping out as misplaced, are you sure those cuts are all the way through and you've not left a small bridge across any of them? If you've got a multimeter what voltages are you reading between Sag lug 1 and ground and Bias lug 3 and ground? I'm just thinking that if there is anything wrong with either of those pots then that would be a problem straight away as there may be nothing getting to the circuit. Assuming they're ok, what voltages are you reading between all the transistor pins and ground?

fuzzmax
Information

Post by fuzzmax »

sag lug 1= 3.93V (+9v connects direct to sag lug 3 and linked with lug 2 but I get no voltage when checking lug 2 to ground!!)
bias lug 3= 3.93V

Q1= no voltage!!
Q2= base .49V and nothing else
Q3= collector .63V, base 1.27V and emmitor 0.59V

the measurements are somewhat "non stable"?!?

could it be the solder??

IvIark
Tube Twister
Information

Post by IvIark »

fuzzmax wrote:sag lug 1= 3.93V (+9v connects direct to sag lug 3 and linked with lug 2 but I get no voltage when checking lug 2 to ground!!)
bias lug 3= 3.93V

Q1= no voltage!!
Q2= base .49V and nothing else
Q3= collector .63V, base 1.27V and emmitor 0.59V

the measurements are somewhat "non stable"?!?

could it be the solder??
Sounds very strange, you should be getting 9V (or whatever the battery voltage is) on Sag lugs 2 and 3. Are you sure the battery isn't duff? Bias lug 3 being the same as Sag lug 1 is what you would expect because they're physically linked, what voltage are you getting on Bias lug 1? Sag lug 2 should be reading exactly the same as lug 3 which suggests there could be a soldering issue with that link. Some of the soldering on the board looked like it didn't flow too well and that can certainly cause problems, but if you're getting these strange readings from the Sag pot then that at least looks like a likely cause for the problem, and is worth investigating first.

fuzzmax
Information

Post by fuzzmax »

when the sag pot is all the way clockwise, i get 9.3v on lug 3 and 2 and 3.89v on lug 1 (and bias lug 3 and 2).... bias 1 reads 1.27v.
when it is turned all the way counterclockwise, i get 9.27v on lug 3, 2 and 1 and bias lug 3 and 2. bias lug 1 reads 2.15v.

IvIark
Tube Twister
Information

Post by IvIark »

Well there's definitely something strange with the Sag pot. It should go all the way down to zero (or at least a lot closer than 3.87V) in one direction and up to the full battery voltage in the other.

I'll try and build it up later and see what I get.

fuzzmax
Information

Post by fuzzmax »

have anyone done this verolayout with successful results??

fuzzmax
Information

Post by fuzzmax »

I have redone it with extra super duper careness and it worked!!!!!but i think something is wrong....sag and fuzz pot are working backwards.....minimum voltage with the pot fully clockwise and minimum fuzz same thing. It does really well the motorboating sound but a little difficult to get a good fuzz sound...I suspect some shitty components, even the pots!!!

teej212
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by teej212 »

i think if you just wire the pots backwards then it will work how you want it to,