Catalinbread - Dirty Little Secret  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
roseblood11
Tube Twister
Information

Post by roseblood11 »

R9=680R CC, R21=33K CC

roseblood11
Tube Twister
Information

Post by roseblood11 »

found a few errors...
Everything checked twice, but not built yet.
Attachments
Catalinbread DLS MkIIIl.gif

roseblood11
Tube Twister
Information

Post by roseblood11 »

This is now VERIFIED:

Maybe a moderator could delete the 3 posts above this one?
Attachments
dls mk3.jpg
Voltage Doubler m LED und Filter Cap.gif
Voltage Doubler m LED und Filter Cap.gif (14.13 KiB) Viewed 5130 times
Catalinbread DLS MkIIIl.gif

atreidesheir
Diode Debunker
Information
my favorite amplifier: thd univalve

Post by atreidesheir »

That graphic is simple yet awesome.
"Contemplate it - on the tree of woe." :Thulsa Doom

roseblood11
Tube Twister
Information

Post by roseblood11 »

It's taken from a set of pictogram cards that my wife uses in the classroom. This one meant "Speak with your neighbour", I just had to add the eyes.
My first version DLS looks better, but the Mk3 is a huge step forward soundwise!
http://forum.musikding.de/cpg/albums/us ... Secret.jpg

roseblood11
Tube Twister
Information

Post by roseblood11 »

My pedal is based on mmolteratx' schematic, with the aforementioned corrections (R3=1k, R9=680R):
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4668&hilit=catalinb ... 20#p218577
dls mk3 guts.jpg

tiagojoy
Information
my favorite amplifier: fender

Post by tiagojoy »

my DLS layout by madbeans ..
Attachments
bzcf (1).jpg

rasta_maleek
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by rasta_maleek »

Great post. I will try to do the DSL.
Thanks for sharing to all

Intripped
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by Intripped »

i've built this effect, finally!
...what are your impressions about the sound?
i've used 2N5457 on mine and i have a HUGE distortion, a wall of saturation, with massive bass freqs and kind of scooped mids (it depends a lot on how you set the mid pot and the internal trimmer) - the sound with gain at max reaches the border-line of fuzz, good fuzz, slightly big-muffish but with it's own character. I REALLY LIKE IT!!! despite having a LOT of bass freqs i find the sound quite defined and clear. better with single coils than humbuckers IMO.

also i have noticed that the internal trimmer is VERY effective: it acts like a presence ctrl, it could be interesting to use an external pot instead.

maksabass
Information

Post by maksabass »

I made the semi DLS mk3 you made with transistors 2n5457.To sounds very bass especially when added to gain.Not sure I really need that has a low frequency, as well as for bass too. Guess I'm se.Replace C5 2u2 (2.2 micro farads) with 0.22uf (220n), and got a decent sound.thank you

attiu7
Information

Post by attiu7 »

Hi.I'm making MKIII and I have a question.

I'd like to add Gain2 and Mid2 pot. Can I change Gain1 to Gain2 and Mid1 to Mid2 with one 3pdt foot switch? I want to change Clean (a lot of middle) to Crunch (few middle) in chorus. I edit schematic. Please check this one.
DLS mkIII. idea for add Gain2 and Mid2.
DLS mkIII. idea for add Gain2 and Mid2.
I wonder if GND can share 789 pin. I want to use 3pdt that's why share it. Do you recommend separate this?
(I dont need LEDs for check Gain1/Mid1 or Gain2/Mid2.)

If this schem have other problems, tell me please. thank you.
P.S. I use mmolteratx's schem.thanks a lot.

deltafred
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by deltafred »

I am pretty sure you cannot do that without affecting the operation of the circuit.

Please post a copy or link for any schematics you are referring to, I have no idea which schematic your bit fits in.
Politics is the art of so plucking the goose as to obtain the most feathers with the least squawking. - R.G. 2011
Jeez, she's an ugly bastard, she makes my socks hurt. I hope it's no ones missus here. - Ice-9 2012

attiu7
Information

Post by attiu7 »

Oh,sorry.
I'm trying to make fx with this schematic.

https://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic ... 20#p218577

thank you.

deltafred
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by deltafred »

No that isn't going to work because the parts that are not tied to ground will interact. How will only be ascertained by breadboarding it (but personally I wouldn't waste my time).
Politics is the art of so plucking the goose as to obtain the most feathers with the least squawking. - R.G. 2011
Jeez, she's an ugly bastard, she makes my socks hurt. I hope it's no ones missus here. - Ice-9 2012

Intripped
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by Intripped »

yes, deltafred is right, your switching method will not work

there's a way to do it with a 3PDT anyway: just use 2 gain potentiometers with doubled value and connect them as in the image.
the wiper will be slightly different, but you will save the pins for the MID pot switching.
you could make the same for the MID pot and install a LED too - in this case the change of the wiper would be more pronounced because the mid pot is linear ...but give it a try if you want, perhaps it will be ok afterall!
Attachments
Untitled-1.png
Untitled-1.png (4.2 KiB) Viewed 4055 times

attiu7
Information

Post by attiu7 »

Thank you for information, deltafred.
I'm stupid... :oops: At first I'll make this fx by breadboard and check!

Thank you for reply and writing shem, Intripped.
If I use pot with doubled value, I dont mind about ground, huh? It is great information cuz I can use LED. Im going to try it and confirm it!

Intripped
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by Intripped »

you need doubled-value pots because in the circuit that i posted the 2 pots are wired in parallel; and 2 resistor of 2M in parallel = 1 resistor of 1M
yes, i know that those are potentiometers and not resistors, but it works in the same way:
look at the potentiometer on the left in the image - pin2 is disconnected, and so it is exactly a 2M resistor in parallel with the other 2M pot. in this way it's like having a 1M pot - only the excursion of the (used) potentiometer will slightly differ from a 1M log pot

google "tailoring potentiometers", you'll find an interesting PDF

attiu7
Information

Post by attiu7 »

Hi, Intripped.
I'm studying about electric. ur reply helped my understanding and I learned about parallel and series.
I google "tailoring potentiometers" and I'm watching PDF, it's so nice. I'm going to look carefully.
If I can make fx well, I'll report. Thank you, thank you.

P.S. I apologize for my cheap English.

dap9
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by dap9 »

Just finished my build using IVIark's vero (thanks mang!) I have 2N5457s in it and have followed the advice of a few of the guys here and this is what I did:

22n in place of the 100n cap
220n in place of the 2n2
220R resistors going from Q1 Drain to Q2 Source And same for Q3-Q4

Overall I'm pretty pleased. When compared to my original DLS MkIII, it sounds pretty close. I only need to do two things in order to get my build 100% to my liking:

1. Decrease the overall gain - mine has a little too much at the minimum setting
2. Decrease the Bass - the original pedal is pretty bassy, and I think my build is similar, but I'd like it to be a little more useable.

Any tips are greatly appreciated :thumbsup

Dr. Satan
Information

Post by Dr. Satan »

dap9 wrote: Overall I'm pretty pleased. When compared to my original DLS MkIII, it sounds pretty close. I only need to do two things in order to get my build 100% to my liking:

1. Decrease the overall gain - mine has a little too much at the minimum setting
2. Decrease the Bass - the original pedal is pretty bassy, and I think my build is similar, but I'd like it to be a little more useable.

Any tips are greatly appreciated :thumbsup
1. Decrease the limiting resistor on the gain control (47K to ground) to 33K or maybe lower, and it should bleed more signal to ground and give less gain/volume. Or you can take it out completely, it's basically a volume control of the first gain stage being fed to the second. If you turn it all the way down, it's the same as turning the output volume control all the way down- it sends all the signal to ground.

2. Decrease the value of coupling caps, the 220n on the input and output could be halved(100n~120n) and that will kill some bass. It is usually more noticeable on the input.