Catalinbread - Dirty Little Secret  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
Lawnchair
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Lawnchair »

Just tried 5600p. Sounds really great too. A bit darker and a bit more gainy than 5000 as expected. 5200 might be the lick.

I think this is worthy of a second footswitch for lead boost. Would hate to increase the footprint though.

Emanuele
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Emanuele »

To me also the 1M resistor on Q4 (Q3 if you go with SSRP config.) base is redundant..the gain pot makes the biasing needed (at least they did in that way on the real valve circuits, and in their FET conversion of course.. )

mike_a
Information

Post by mike_a »

Emanuele wrote:To me also the 1M resistor on Q4 (Q3 if you go with SSRP config.) base is redundant..the gain pot makes the biasing needed (at least they did in that way on the real valve circuits, and in their FET conversion of course.. )
I don't agree.
because of the 4.7n coupling cap, the gain pot is seperated from the base (in DC terms).
So, I don't think it has any effect on the bias.

Emanuele
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Emanuele »

mike_a wrote:
Emanuele wrote:To me also the 1M resistor on Q4 (Q3 if you go with SSRP config.) base is redundant..the gain pot makes the biasing needed (at least they did in that way on the real valve circuits, and in their FET conversion of course.. )
I don't agree.
because of the 4.7n coupling cap, the gain pot is seperated from the base (in DC terms).
So, I don't think it has any effect on the bias.
Ah ok, I didn't see that... :thumbsup

cacophony
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by cacophony »

How does a monolytic capacitor for C3 (4.7uF) sound compare to an electrolytic?

snoof
Information

Post by snoof »

ShortScaleMike wrote:Image

Layout fixed for 47pF cap. Refresh browser and/or delete cookies if you still see 100pF.
Where is C13?? Is it labeled as C23??

https://www.freestompboxes.org/download/file.php?id=3327

Seishin
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Seishin »

IggY wrote:
Seishin wrote:
blupup8 wrote:
Seishin wrote:
Lawnchair wrote:I lost pad 2 on the gain and had to jump it. The pot had a 47p cap across 2&3 and it snaged the pad on the way out.
I'm sure C-bread will warranty that for me :slap:

Ack wat'd you do that for buddy? I probably won't cover the warranty but if you need a hand getting it back together feel free to give me a shout. nicholas (A) catalinbread.com
:hmmm:
Oh Nicolas you are so helpful. Can you please post the schematics for all your pedals past present and future. That would be a big help. :hug:

I've thought about it. But the discovery process on FS.o is more enjoyable, no? 8)
Outsourced free R&D without having to ask questions! :wink:

One could think of it that way, but that is little more than character projection. I am here enjoying the ride. I enjoy doing my own in house R&D too much to mindlessly sponge from FS.o, it is really great working with Howard in this capacity. He and I learn a lot along the way, not only about circuits, but expanding or vocabulary for tonality, and how to co-create. He and I have a combined 40 years of guitar playing and in that experience we know what we want in terms of a product. I do like all the insights shared by others on here so far and I appreciate even more the positive tenor of the presentation. I really like the work folks have put into "tribute" pedals too. I want to get my own for my office. :) But in the long run many are roads we've already traveled and decided to go a different path. Sometimes for simplicity sake, sometimes for marketability sake, sometimes there was just SOMETHING we heard that we couldn't put our finger on yet couldn't live without. I am happy to hang out here as long as we're all being gentlemen but I am not here to glean ideas to bring to the market place.

ShortScaleMike
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: Marshall JCM800

Post by ShortScaleMike »

snoof wrote:
ShortScaleMike wrote:https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v48/ ... /dls-1.gif
Layout fixed for 47pF cap. Refresh browser and/or delete cookies if you still see 100pF.
Where is C13?? Is it labeled as C23??
https://www.freestompboxes.org/download/file.php?id=3327
Yes. It is misnumbered C23, as you can see, the original schematics weren't exactly legible.

Lawnchair
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Lawnchair »

HEADS UP!!

If you built your own DLS the instructions for the mod should be lugs 2&3 of the gain pot. Same as the 47p cap.

On Nics site the two lugs identified in the pic are lugs 2 & 3 not 1 & 2. The pic is correct, just not the lug #s

DougH
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by DougH »

Seishin wrote: Somebody who wants cloth wire, tropical fish caps, and NOS unobtanium semiconductors is NOT going to be interested in Catalinbread products NO MATTER HOW GOOD THEY SOUND!
Nick, I really like your philosophy and love your prices. They are very reasonable and look to be well-built quality products. 8) Even more importantly, from the vids I've seen they sound really good-esp the DLS.

I'm glad to see more minibooster stuff in the commercial builds. For "marshall" tone they really are the way to go. It's funny... Ten years ago a small group of us were really having fun with these circuits. Glad to see the commercial world finally caught up... :mrgreen: :wink:
"You have just tubescreamered or fuzzfaced yourself " -polarbearfx

dap9
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by dap9 »

I only have NP 2.2uf electrolytics :x I'm gonna go ahead and put one in for C11, but wanted to know if it's gonna really affect things. Thanks

Lawnchair
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Lawnchair »

The NP should be just fine. I prefer the sound of polarized in the signal path. Might just be mojo bullshit.

As Nic suggested earlier, a 100pf mod cap sounds great too. Just a hint more gain and a wee bit smoother attack.

Seishin
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Seishin »

dap9 wrote:I only have NP 2.2uf electrolytics :x I'm gonna go ahead and put one in for C11, but wanted to know if it's gonna really affect things. Thanks
Nope should work great.

Seishin
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Seishin »

DougH wrote:
Seishin wrote: Somebody who wants cloth wire, tropical fish caps, and NOS unobtanium semiconductors is NOT going to be interested in Catalinbread products NO MATTER HOW GOOD THEY SOUND!
Nick, I really like your philosophy and love your prices. They are very reasonable and look to be well-built quality products. 8) Even more importantly, from the vids I've seen they sound really good-esp the DLS.

I'm glad to see more minibooster stuff in the commercial builds. For "marshall" tone they really are the way to go. It's funny... Ten years ago a small group of us were really having fun with these circuits. Glad to see the commercial world finally caught up... :mrgreen: :wink:

10 years ago I too was having fun with these circuits! I remember PaulC's Fatbastard, which inspired my Habanero Fetish, which inspired the DLS. :)

kittycaster
Information

Post by kittycaster »

Seishin wrote:
Hey so I figured it out.... fuzz face worky better with 47p than 5000p. I think for playing without stacks in front the 5000-ish pf is the best, but with fuzz and stuff the low range values work the best. I did try the 1uf input cap on the card and it didn't fix the woofing out so I went back to the 2.2uf. Took me a while to realize it was the behavior of the 5000pf with the fuzz. Plus, I think that .01 output cap just woke up! It went from so-so to so-zo! 8)

Lawnchair
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Lawnchair »

Seishin wrote:
Lawnchair wrote:HEADS UP!!
If you built your own DLS the instructions for the mod should be lugs 2&3 of the gain pot. Same as the 47p cap.
On Nics site the two lugs identified in the pic are lugs 2 & 3 not 1 & 2. The pic is correct, just not the lug #s
Dude treble bleed should be on lugs 1 & 2!!! If you are talking about the picture on my blog you gotta flip it in yr head to visualize it properly!
No disrespect intended. But as sure as the sky is blue it's lugs 2&3. Please see Mikes Vero layout and my drawing. the top lug grounds through r8.

Seishin
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Seishin »

Lawnchair wrote:
Seishin wrote:
Lawnchair wrote:HEADS UP!!
Dude treble bleed should be on lugs 1 & 2!!! If you are talking about the picture on my blog you gotta flip it in yr head to visualize it properly!
No disrespect intended. But as sure as the sky is blue it's lugs 2&3. Please see Mikes Vero layout and my drawing. the top lug grounds through r8.
I should keep it shut. For some reason I thought you were talking about my layout. :p Treble bleed is on the hot and wiper lugs.

Seishin
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Seishin »

kittycaster wrote:
Seishin wrote:
Hey so I figured it out.... fuzz face worky better with 47p than 5000p. I think for playing without stacks in front the 5000-ish pf is the best, but with fuzz and stuff the low range values work the best. I did try the 1uf input cap on the card and it didn't fix the woofing out so I went back to the 2.2uf. Took me a while to realize it was the behavior of the 5000pf with the fuzz. Plus, I think that .01 output cap just woke up! It went from so-so to so-zo! 8)
Nice! I had a feeling getting away from the Fuzz Face value would get you too far away from "the sound".

dap9
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by dap9 »

Lawnchair wrote:The NP should be just fine. I prefer the sound of polarized in the signal path. Might just be mojo bullshit.
As Nic suggested earlier, a 100pf mod cap sounds great too. Just a hint more gain and a wee bit smoother attack.
Seishin wrote:Nope should work great.
Thanks guys. Is the same true for the .22uf for C3? I only have film caps in that value. I'm gonna socket both so I can swap them after I order the "right" ones.

Anyone care to point me in the direction of a good link that explains electrolytics and their applications? I have a vague understanding, but that's about it

roseblood11
Tube Twister
Information

Post by roseblood11 »

Hi!

A film cap will work great.

In most cases, electrolytics are chosen because they´re a) smaller, b) cheaper or c) at hand...

http://www.wima.de/EN/technicalinformation.htm

http://www.bext.com/replace.htm

http://www.parasound.com/pdfs/JCinterview.pdf

This is a very good text, but it´s german:
http://www.gitarrenelektronik.de/index. ... &Itemid=93

regards, Immo