Skreddy - Mayo

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
ech0es
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by ech0es »

Skreddy Pedals Mayo schematic

(admin: edited link)

soggybag
Resistor Ronker
Information
Completed builds: Fuzz Face, Tone Bender, Big Muff, ICBM, Ugly Face, Green Ringer, Super Fuzz, Multiplex Echo, Multiplex Jr, Rebote, Echo Base, SHO, Fuzz Factory, Titan Boost/Octave, Easy Face, Tone Bender MkII, Trem Shifter, Zero Point Mini...

Post by soggybag »

From the looks of Skreddy's web site he seems to really be into variations on the Big Muff.

Papa_lazerous
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Papa_lazerous »

soggybag wrote:From the looks of Skreddy's web site he seems to really be into variations on the Big Muff.
LOL aint that the bloody truth!! He's a noob.

Its not like his stuff sounds that nice

mz77
Information

Post by mz77 »

Excellent work. I've been thinking about doing some sort of Muff build lately, and this looks interesting.

And I believe that the "47" ceramic is simply a 47pF cap. I might be wrong, but when the multiplier digit is zero, it's simply omitted. This would explain its small size.

markm
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by markm »

mz77 wrote:Excellent work. I've been thinking about doing some sort of Muff build lately, and this looks interesting.

And I believe that the "47" ceramic is simply a 47pF cap. I might be wrong, but when the multiplier digit is zero, it's simply omitted. This would explain its small size.
I would agree.
Join together with the "Banned"!

sandstorm
Information

Post by sandstorm »

Papa_lazerous wrote:
soggybag wrote:From the looks of Skreddy's web site he seems to really be into variations on the Big Muff.
LOL aint that the bloody truth!! He's a noob.

Its not like his stuff sounds that nice
On what basis are you qualified to make judgments about me? Such comments tend to characterize this forum as a jealousy-fueled bitch-fest.

There are very few areas on life in which I could rightly be called a "noob." I may have come on the "selling effects" scene only recently (2003), but I've been experimenting with electronics and playing guitar since 1978; and I've been chasing the elusive "tone" since about the late 80's.

Exactly how nice does my stuff sound? Not that nice? How would you know; mp3 soundclips? That's outright bullshit; and excuse me for calling you on it. You can't tell how something "feels" from online soundclips, and I'm sure you know that. If you don't like my builds, nobody is forcing you to buy them. But to just cast stones for no reason is a real dick move. I guarantee you I wouldn't bother selling pedals that didn't sound "that nice." There's too many out there already that do sound "good enough."

Listen; the original edition Big Muff Pi, by Mike Matthews, sounds damn nice. It's an inspiration to me, and rightly so. This Mayo is about the closest I can come without circa 1970 transistors. I was able to make a dead-nuts clone with my "Mayonaise" pedal in 2003, using the correct NOS transistors; and I've made a few minor mods to get a good tone out of what units are currently available (not to mention a lot of testing and sorting).

But excuse me for loving the 1971 Big Muff and for loving the Siamese Dream Pumpkins tones and for loving David Gilmour's tones, etc., etc. I make no attempt at fooling the public into thinking my pedals are anything other than what they are or hiding my inspiration for them. Why would anybody count that against me?

I don't see how such childish comments as quoted above are really merited. Anonymity (and transcontinental divides) has the potential to make bastards of us all. But how 'bout we grow up a little bit and quit painting others with overly broad and unfair brush strokes?

BTW, I am branching out from the BMP-based stuff (already have with the Screw Driver); but as long as I make great tones that are somewhat distinct from the offerings of other builders, I see no reason not to make variants of the same circuit if it fills a specific need. When I run out of the transistors I use now or if I find others that I like instead, I WILL retire the Mayo and come out with YET ANOTHER Big Muff-based product--you can count on it. Because I like the Big Muff. I may release other types of dirt and fuzzes (of my own design or cobbled-together snippets of common concepts), and I may come out with a nice delay soon, too. If all goes well; meaning that my ears are satisfied and my logistical requirements are met.

I don't protect my circuits in any way from prying eyes, but in the future I would appreciate just a little respect with regard to proprietary information if you don't mind. Anybody can come up with mods and circuit ideas on their own with a little research and experimentation, and we've all been inspired by those who came before us. But this urge to take successful people down is counterproductive in my opinion. I've done nothing to deserve any name calling or snarky comments, and I'm sure I've been helpful to at least some folks here in the past. Even if you don't know me, I honestly don't see how I've earned any disrespect. My circuits are simply the natural outworking of sonic goals using the parts at hand.

--Marc Ahlfs,
Proprietor,
Skreddy Pedals
http://skreddypedals.com

DougH
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by DougH »

Hey Marc,

This is the first time I've seen this thread. Please don't let "one bad apple spoil the bunch" so to speak.

Check out this thread instead:

http://www.phpbbserver.com/freestompbox ... stompboxes

Thanks for responding and don't be a stranger.

sandstorm
Information

Post by sandstorm »

Thanks, DougH. I've seen that thread but didn't think it would benefit much from my input. :? But yeah; see you 'round... :)

BTW, do you think you could edit the link in your above post by turning it into a shorter, clickable thing? It's throwing this page's horizontal space out of whack...

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YVM-1
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

I'd rather have a higher quality booteek clone of a Big Muff than one of those crummy ones EHX is cranking out nowadays.

snail
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by snail »

It's a cool thing to specialize!

If one is into muffs, have good ears and skills I suppose he can come up with many many shades and feels for a lot of different versions, didn't EH do the same in the past?
I'm no muff freak, but I can count at least 4 different circuits, built two of them and they all sound different. Plus there is that cool emiters to ground mod and that other octave mod which sounds killer IMO.

snail

briggs
Tube Twister
Information
my favorite amplifier: Briggs Custom Suprono
Completed builds: Too many to still class myself as sane....

Post by briggs »

Hey marc, I remember stumbling on your site years and years ago - it must have been when you where just starting. Everytime I visit it it makes me dizzy though! Especially after a night on the sauce :shock:

I'm gonna have to breadboard one of these things up. I like the look of it, not sure why someones having a pop at you, there's no marketing BS about what your selling and you've been sucessful at it - top work. Please don't let the negative attitude of one put you off from visiting, the general attitude round here is changing.

I am Klon.

axiss
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by axiss »

One thing I really like and respect (as a customer and as a DIYer) on this crazy small companies' pedal market is honesty. As long as the original manufacturer and current owner of the brand (EHX in this case) doesn't care about the "boutique" versions (Marc's Muff variations, in this case), the only other question I may think would matter is if the maker is using any BS to sell.
If the guy is being honest about where his pedals come from, I'm ok with that and hope others can follow that same route. :)

We have examples of makers doing small variations on simple projects and selling each as a different, all-new, "God's answer to guitar players", overpriced pedal. Other case was that (brazilian?) guy putting BSIAB pcbs inside fancy boxes and selling for US$250 or something! That's what really makes me mad, not a guy offering his versions and mods on a known project for anyone that could want to buy.

If you give your customer the information he needs to know, you let him decide what he wants and if it's worth the money. That's what we want as customers, AFAIK.

sandstorm
Information

Post by sandstorm »

briggs wrote:Hey marc, I remember stumbling on your site years and years ago - it must have been when you where just starting. Everytime I visit it it makes me dizzy though! Especially after a night on the sauce :shock:

I'm gonna have to breadboard one of these things up. I like the look of it, not sure why someones having a pop at you, there's no marketing BS about what your selling and you've been sucessful at it - top work. Please don't let the negative attitude of one put you off from visiting, the general attitude round here is changing.
Yeah; I was goofing around with some javascript stuff years ago on my personal home page, and I enjoyed it so much I decided to just keep it as my business page. A bit weird and lighthearted. Another idea I've had is to change it from an outer space theme to an underwater theme, like that old Windows screensaver from years ago, with the fish swimming around and stuff.

Do have fun with the Big Muff!

seniorLoco
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by seniorLoco »

HI Alf !!

MoreCowbell
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by MoreCowbell »

Hi Marc...good to see you around here.

AC

celadine
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by celadine »

This forum is a little bit wild... Thick skin helps, if you're a 'professional' pedal builder.
[smilie=lol_xtreme.gif]

Greg
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Tophat Emplexador & Supreme 16.
Completed builds: LOTS..

Post by Greg »

Marc's one of the good guys in the industry.
He's honest about his designs, reasonable pricing, no goop, and his stuff sounds great IMO.
The Screw Driver is a classic.

paperhouse
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by paperhouse »

celadine wrote:This forum is a little bit wild... Thick skin helps, if you're a 'professional' pedal builder.
[smilie=lol_xtreme.gif]
true, and i think marc handled this very elegantly. his credibility and entire company were insulted and he handled it with class.

the mayo is really an incredible pedal. i want to try the rest of his pedals, even if most of them are based on the big muff. i've seen several pedal boards with multiple skreddy's.

Greg
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Tophat Emplexador & Supreme 16.
Completed builds: LOTS..

Post by Greg »

paperhouse wrote: the mayo is really an incredible pedal. i want to try the rest of his pedals, even if most of them are based on the big muff. i've seen several pedal boards with multiple skreddy's.
The Screw Driver's not Muff, and I don't think the Top Fuel is either.

sandstorm
Information

Post by sandstorm »

Greg_G wrote:
paperhouse wrote: the mayo is really an incredible pedal. i want to try the rest of his pedals, even if most of them are based on the big muff. i've seen several pedal boards with multiple skreddy's.
The Screw Driver's not Muff, and I don't think the Top Fuel is either.
The Top Fuel is muff based, but with lots of mods to make it do things muffs normally don't (sounds closer to a sustainy Rat than a Muff). I was aiming for a "Comfortably Numb" solo tone, but I think I overshot it and got more of a Momentary Lapse and Division Bell kind of sound. I stuck more with a traditional Muff formula with the Pink Flesh, just modding the eq to get it smoother & tighter and adding a mid hump switch.