Skreddy - Mayo

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
Whoismarykelly
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Whoismarykelly »

SPeter wrote:
Skreddy wrote:Caps--tropical fish and others that are close?

Yeah; greenies are close. Tropical fish seem to impart a sweeter, fatter tone; so to emulate that, choose a greenie with a 10% higher value if possible.

As for all-around great-sounding caps, especially in clean applications, I'm liking Cornell Dubilier DME series. They're not fat and round (sounding) like tropical fish, but they have a very transparent frequency response. In fuzz applications, you may need to increase your hf filtering when using modern, metalized caps; other wise you'll get a harsher, fizzier result.
http://www.mouser.com/Search/Refine.asp ... d=59850000
Shit. Expensive as crap.

SpencerPedals
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by SpencerPedals »

Electric Warrior wrote:has anybody here tried Vishay/Philips mkt 368? they're supposed to be "today's tropical fish caps".
That's actually what I have loaded into my board for this pedal right now; I used three of those for the film caps in the circuit. I have never used them before. I plan on ordering some more and doing some breadboard tests in the future. I'd be interested to see what people have to say, as well. They certainly LOOK sexy. For what that's worth. :)

Skreddy
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Skreddy »

SpencerPedals wrote:
Electric Warrior wrote:has anybody here tried Vishay/Philips mkt 368? they're supposed to be "today's tropical fish caps".
That's actually what I have loaded into my board for this pedal right now; I used three of those for the film caps in the circuit. I have never used them before. I plan on ordering some more and doing some breadboard tests in the future. I'd be interested to see what people have to say, as well. They certainly LOOK sexy. For what that's worth. :)
I'm going to give some of those a shot as well. :hmmm:

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

i found a guy selling these on ebay for cheap. you can get 2000 for a 100 bucks. only .01uF though. if any wants to do a group buy, go to Parts Sourcing. i'll start a new thread.
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

Solidhex
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Solidhex »

Skreddy wrote:
SpencerPedals wrote:
I'm going to give some of those a shot as well. :hmmm:
I think these might be the box version of those? Either way they sound smooth as hell.

http://www.vishay.com/docs/26009/mkt1818.pdf

--Brad

Electric Warrior
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Electric Warrior »

there's a non-metallized version as well http://cgi.ebay.de/PHILIPS-KT-0-015UF-4 ... dZViewItem

gmr1
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by gmr1 »

built this from SpencerPedals layout. One word of warning - the pcb is already reversed that he posted, meaning when you transfer it, it's going to end up backward. I didn't notice this when I etched the boards, so I just populated it in reverse.

That being said, sounds great. I just used some random 2N5089's and it's killer. I'm going to experiment more with other transistors.

Whoismarykelly
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Whoismarykelly »

gmr1 wrote:built this from SpencerPedals layout. One word of warning - the pcb is already reversed that he posted, meaning when you transfer it, it's going to end up backward. I didn't notice this when I etched the boards, so I just populated it in reverse.

That being said, sounds great. I just used some random 2N5089's and it's killer. I'm going to experiment more with other transistors.
Try some SE4010 from small bear or a BC239/BC109 combo.

95strat
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by 95strat »

gmr1 wrote:built this from SpencerPedals layout. One word of warning - the pcb is already reversed that he posted, meaning when you transfer it, it's going to end up backward. I didn't notice this when I etched the boards, so I just populated it in reverse.

Is this still true, or did Spencer update the file? Getting ready to etch this puppy!

Barcode
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Barcode »

it hasn't been corrected, probably because there is no need. just flip the image horizontally before printing...

SpencerPedals
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by SpencerPedals »

Print off the files exactly as I have them shown. They're correct, he just didn't realize the PCB is already flipped so you can just print and go; no image editing is necessary. Sorry I still haven't gotten mine completely boxed up yet and I've been slacking a bit on that. It's my most anticipated build too, so that's annoying. Anyway, yeah, start printing and etching!

95strat
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by 95strat »

Barcode wrote:it hasn't been corrected, probably because there is no need. just flip the image horizontally before printing...
Okay, just confuse me for a sec. I'm going to try to etch a couple tomorrow. Looking forward to making it "Pink". Those things are selling for ridiculous amounts of cash.

Barcode
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Barcode »

SpencerPedals wrote:Print off the files exactly as I have them shown. They're correct, he just didn't realize the PCB is already flipped so you can just print and go; no image editing is necessary. Sorry I still haven't gotten mine completely boxed up yet and I've been slacking a bit on that. It's my most anticipated build too, so that's annoying. Anyway, yeah, start printing and etching!
as shown, the layout would be reversed. a pnp image must be oriented the same as the layout image. the view from the top of the component side should be the same as the view of the pnp on paper.

SpencerPedals
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by SpencerPedals »

Barcode wrote:
SpencerPedals wrote:Print off the files exactly as I have them shown. They're correct, he just didn't realize the PCB is already flipped so you can just print and go; no image editing is necessary. Sorry I still haven't gotten mine completely boxed up yet and I've been slacking a bit on that. It's my most anticipated build too, so that's annoying. Anyway, yeah, start printing and etching!
as shown, the layout would be reversed. a pnp image must be oriented the same as the layout image. the view from the top of the component side should be the same as the view of the pnp on paper.
Damn, you're right. You flip the board over to populate so it's already flipped. My mistake, Gmr. As of 10:07AM EST on 4-14-2009, the links are updated and not reversed. If anyone printed the pcb layout that I posted that was backwards, I apologize and I have created a layout to match it in Photoshop. Just PM me and I'll send it over to you. I'm not going to post it to add to confusion.

I guess you can tell I've been a vero guy until this huh?

gmr1
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by gmr1 »

SpencerPedals wrote:Damn, you're right. You flip the board over to populate so it's already flipped. My mistake, Gmr. As of 10:07AM EST on 4-14-2009, the links are updated and not reversed. If anyone printed the pcb layout that I posted that was backwards, I apologize and I have created a layout to match it in Photoshop. Just PM me and I'll send it over to you. I'm not going to post it to add to confusion.

I guess you can tell I've been a vero guy until this huh?
No big deal. it's a real nice layout. Pedal works great. I etched 2 of the boards (I tend to do at least 2 at a time, as it makes the process of etching more "worth the bother"). I just have to remember to populate the other one in reverse as well when one of my buddies "borrows" the first one, and forces me to build another for myself!

SpencerPedals
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by SpencerPedals »

Finally got it all boxed and wired tonight and for some reason my tone knob is working backwards. And it sounds slightly more muffled than it should at the brightest end of the backwards knob. I used BC239's to start. I triple checked wire sequence and it's correct from pot lugs to board, so I must have messed up something elsewhere. Glad someone else verified this layout first. I just built a Muff for a friend last week and it worked great so I guess I used up my luck on that. I'd troubleshoot it tonight but it's late and I'm annoyed and tired.

Whoismarykelly
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Whoismarykelly »

SpencerPedals wrote:Finally got it all boxed and wired tonight and for some reason my tone knob is working backwards. And it sounds slightly more muffled than it should at the brightest end of the backwards knob. I used BC239's to start. I triple checked wire sequence and it's correct from pot lugs to board, so I must have messed up something elsewhere. Glad someone else verified this layout first. I just built a Muff for a friend last week and it worked great so I guess I used up my luck on that. I'd troubleshoot it tonight but it's late and I'm annoyed and tired.
Swap some wires and youll be functioning right. All those .22uf caps beef up the sound quite a bit but my my real mayo and a copy I made myself you can still get plenty of high end bite so maybe you have some issue going on.

SpencerPedals
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by SpencerPedals »

Yeah I figured it out, I had a small spot that was etched out around a cap leg that didn't make contact with the trace that somehow I didn't notice when I checked it over after etching the board. It's not a layout error, I just screwed up when I was making it. I just didn't feel like touching it last night because I'd end up possibly throwing and breaking expensive equipment. It is going now and sounds killer...I've reviewed 6 different types of transistors in it and I'll post all of that later when I get it concluded. Transistor selection in this thing is certainly a big deal and it's not all gain like I was guessing.

Whoismarykelly
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Whoismarykelly »

SpencerPedals wrote:Yeah I figured it out, I had a small spot that was etched out around a cap leg that didn't make contact with the trace that somehow I didn't notice when I checked it over after etching the board. It's not a layout error, I just screwed up when I was making it. I just didn't feel like touching it last night because I'd end up possibly throwing and breaking expensive equipment. It is going now and sounds killer...I've reviewed 6 different types of transistors in it and I'll post all of that later when I get it concluded. Transistor selection in this thing is certainly a big deal and it's not all gain like I was guessing.
Ill my definitely interested in hearing your thoughts. I've been using 2n5133s for a while now but Im almost out so Im looking for something easier to get that sounds as good. Looks like its time to build a muff with some transistors sockets again. :D

Skreddy
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Skreddy »

Whoismarykelly wrote:
SpencerPedals wrote:Yeah I figured it out, I had a small spot that was etched out around a cap leg that didn't make contact with the trace that somehow I didn't notice when I checked it over after etching the board. It's not a layout error, I just screwed up when I was making it. I just didn't feel like touching it last night because I'd end up possibly throwing and breaking expensive equipment. It is going now and sounds killer...I've reviewed 6 different types of transistors in it and I'll post all of that later when I get it concluded. Transistor selection in this thing is certainly a big deal and it's not all gain like I was guessing.
Ill my definitely interested in hearing your thoughts. I've been using 2n5133s for a while now but Im almost out so Im looking for something easier to get that sounds as good. Looks like its time to build a muff with some transistors sockets again. :D
:horsey: :popcorn: :hug: :slap: :thumbsup :blackeye All of these emoticons seem appropriate to me.