Emma - Reezafratzitz [ goop-alarm ]  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
picassochild
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by picassochild »

Guys, how about such mod for Reeza?

miwanone
Information

Post by miwanone »

Emma Electronic wrote:It sounds exactly the same as our best reference pedal. But now you can cut the low end and add to it if you want to.
My guess is that the only mod you'd have to do is replace the tone-section with a dubble-knobbed one, lowpass and highpass filtering. And of course add lots of cool-looking flowery graphics.

distortion_gfx1
Information

Post by distortion_gfx1 »

I've build the smaller layout and it works in the first time!(thanks guys!:D)
the only problem it had is the loud HISS when the gain is set to the max!
another thing is the BIAS knob produce a sound each time i turn it! is that Okay?

tnx again guys ^_^ :thumbsup :lol:

hobbes234
Information

Post by hobbes234 »

Hi guys,

for this project, I drew out the circuit diagram and then tried to arrange all the components for my perf board.
I have based the arrangements largely on the design submitted by Neilnil. However i noticed the lugs 1,2 for the level pot for my arrangements is connected to 10K resistor which is different from those submitted by distortion_gfx1 and Neilnil (lugs 2,3 to the 47pf Cap)

I went through the circuit diagram and compared mine with theirs. I still cant understand why did they connect lugs 2,3 to the 47pF, did i get it wrong? :hmmm: :slap:

Can anyone please explain?

hobbes234
Information

Post by hobbes234 »

hobbes234 wrote:Hi guys,

for this project, I drew out the circuit diagram and then tried to arrange all the components for my perf board.
I have based the arrangements largely on the design submitted by Neilnil. However i noticed the lugs 1,2 for the level pot for my arrangements is connected to 10K resistor which is different from those submitted by distortion_gfx1 and Neilnil (lugs 2,3 to the 47pf Cap)

I went through the circuit diagram and compared mine with theirs. I still cant understand why did they connect lugs 2,3 to the 47pF, did i get it wrong? :hmmm: :slap:

anyone? :roll:

condorface
Information

Post by condorface »

hobbes234 wrote:Hi guys,

You are following the schematic correctly. There would be no huge difference between the two besides pot rotation. It's still a variable resistor in the same part of the circuit. Don't sweat it. If you get it wired up and it turns the wrong way, then try the other wiring.

condorface
Information

Post by condorface »

I have a cd4049ube. I compared the cd4049 and the cd4069, and the only difference i see is the pinout arrangement. the 4049 has two extra pins, but they are unused. I may be wrong. Could someone more expert then I take a look?

condorface
Information

Post by condorface »

From the first link:
"Because their current drive capabilities and positive/negative symmetry are different, thus producing a different overall sound - just like when changing the op-amp type in a Tube Screamer, RAT, or Distortion Plus."

Oh well, "different overall sound". I was hoping for an exact match, so I guess i'll have to be patient and order the right ic for this one later on.

If this one wasn't going to work, I was going to try the ROG Double D. The design is kind of similar to the Reeza.

condorface
Information

Post by condorface »

ibodog2 wrote:
and something new over at ROG:

http://runoffgroove.com/22-7.html
Although that looks intriguing. The sound clips all sound pretty good to me at the flat setting. decisions decisions. Maybe a two channel with BMP on one channel and the Jiggle channel from the Double D on the other.

Oh, and sorry I hijacked the topic. I'll shut up now.

azrael
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by azrael »

Perhaps I missed it, but just curious...What is this circuit based on? Is it based on anything?

Someone mentioned the TSF/Red Llama, but there's more components in here than in those two..

condorface
Information

Post by condorface »

azrael wrote:Perhaps I missed it, but just curious...What is this circuit based on? Is it based on anything?

Someone mentioned the TSF/Red Llama, but there's more components in here than in those two..

Yeah, it's basically a carefully tuned suped-up version of the TSF/Red Llama. I think it uses more sections of the CMOS chip. It's also a slightly different chip than the other's, with a different pinout arrangement.

JiM
Diode Debunker
Information
Completed builds: Completed builds :
Proco Rat
MXR MicroAmp in a volume pedal
TubeDriver (w/ NoS russian tube and big muff tone contol) + Phase 45 (w/ univibe cap ratio)
Dallas Rangemaster (w/ noisy OC75, negative ground)
SubCaster tube booster (w/ NoS russian tube, PtP)
Hot Harmonics
Music From Outer Space SubCommander in progress
Crackle Not OK
Simple bass blender in a 1590A
Bazz Fuss with a photo-darlington

Post by JiM »

ibodog2 wrote:and something new over at ROG:
http://runoffgroove.com/22-7.html
It's not exactly new, but it was previoulsy hidden (without link on the homepage).
Like this one : http://runoffgroove.com/ubescreamer.html
I've found them through Gaussmarkov's, seems to be contest entries on the other forum.
condorface wrote:
azrael wrote:Perhaps I missed it, but just curious...What is this circuit based on? Is it based on anything?
Yeah, it's basically a carefully tuned suped-up version of the TSF/Red Llama. I think it uses more sections of the CMOS chip. It's also a slightly different chip than the other's, with a different pinout arrangement.
I did some Spice simulations of the Reeza along with the Red Llama, ROG's 3 Legged Dog and Frank Clarke's Hot Harmonics.
The Reeza does not behave like the other three, producing a triangle-ish waveform instead of an (as)symetric square-ish waveform. I guess it's because of the extra gain stages, and especially the extra filtering between 4th and 5th gain stages.

The CMOS idea was not new, but the ReezaFRATzitz circuit is certainly original and carefully tuned.
Attachments
CMOS_drives.png
CMOS_drives.png (7.98 KiB) Viewed 2646 times
I only give negative feedback.

condorface
Information

Post by condorface »

yes, I suppose it may be a misnomer to say it's a "version" of those other pedals. I'm very surprised by the different waveform, though.

John Lyons
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by John Lyons »

Nice waveform camparison JiM
Thanks for posting that.

John

hobbes234
Information

Post by hobbes234 »

condorface wrote: You are following the schematic correctly. There would be no huge difference between the two besides pot rotation. It's still a variable resistor in the same part of the circuit. Don't sweat it. If you get it wired up and it turns the wrong way, then try the other wiring.

Thanks Condorface. :applause:

i see what you mean now...
did not occur to me earlier.. :oops:

hobbes234
Information

Post by hobbes234 »

Ok guys.. since we are discussing bout the 4049 and 4069, can anyone tell me the difference between the 4069 and the 74C04?
Looking at the datasheets, both are hex invertors... are we able to swap them?

condorface
Information

Post by condorface »

hobbes234 wrote:Ok guys.. since we are discussing bout the 4049 and 4069, can anyone tell me the difference between the 4069 and the 74C04?
Looking at the datasheets, both are hex invertors... are we able to swap them?

It would be nice to hear more about the difference between all three of these. Especially in the overall sound differences between using each of these in the Reeza. I still haven't quite given up the idea of using the 4049 for the Reeza. I just need some more convincing to tell me that it would be worthwile.

Whoismarykelly
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Whoismarykelly »

Can someone explain the bypass scheme used here? It seems like an output switching system but there is quite a bit of circuitry that the signal goes through before that switching point in 'bypass mode.' Seems like one half of a dpdt is doing the signal switching and the other half is just for the LED. Any insight?

JiM
Diode Debunker
Information
Completed builds: Completed builds :
Proco Rat
MXR MicroAmp in a volume pedal
TubeDriver (w/ NoS russian tube and big muff tone contol) + Phase 45 (w/ univibe cap ratio)
Dallas Rangemaster (w/ noisy OC75, negative ground)
SubCaster tube booster (w/ NoS russian tube, PtP)
Hot Harmonics
Music From Outer Space SubCommander in progress
Crackle Not OK
Simple bass blender in a 1590A
Bazz Fuss with a photo-darlington

Post by JiM »

Whoismarykelly wrote:Can someone explain the bypass scheme used here?
It's a classic buffered bypass, isn't it ?
That "quite a bit of circuitry" is the buffer, namely transistor T1 and its passive friends.

You're right, only the output is switched : the buffer takes care of avoiding tone losses. Maybe a JFET buffer would be better (higher input impedance) ... and one can wonder about the buffer being also affected by the "bias" control. Maybe a mistake in the original schematic ? or in the original stompbox ! :slap: Anyway, you don't want to lower the bias so much that the bypass signal gets clipped !
I only give negative feedback.

Whoismarykelly
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Whoismarykelly »

Ah I didn't look closely enough to see that it was just a buffer. Thanks!