BJFE - Emerald Green Distortion Machine  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.

BJFE - Emerald Green Distortion Machine

Postby TheLemon » 23 Jul 2009, 04:23

I haven't seen this one brought to the table or discussed so I thought I'd mention it. Could it possibly be a HBOD or DRD variant with less high-end filtering?
TheLemon
Breadboard Brother
 
Posts: 100
Joined: 15 Oct 2008, 04:55
Has thanked: 9 times
Have thanks: 21 times

Re: BJFE - Emerald Green Distortion Machine

Postby Greg » 23 Jul 2009, 05:42

Very likely a similar design with different voicing I'd say.

IMO BJ is clever at tuning his circuits.. and what may appear simple or similar to something else generally produces a unique and great sounding effect.

This should probably go in the Members section for now, as there's no information attached to it.. but if anything is forthcoming it can be moved back into the technical area..
culturejam wrote: We are equal opportunity exposure artists.
User avatar
Greg
Old Solderhand
 
Posts: 3319
Joined: 03 Nov 2007, 10:35
Location: Australia
Has thanked: 77 times
Have thanks: 195 times

Re: BJFE - Emerald Green Distortion Machine

Postby modman » 24 Jul 2009, 12:41

Anybody we know :wink: ?

Emerald Green Distortion Machine (EGDM)
002 Donner
008 GM in NY
009 Jake E Lee
012 ToneRanger
014 Cubba
015 Cobra
025 (Sold) (Nitro finish)
030 Paxton
031 Michael Nice
052 Cobra
058 Fatback/PC
060 Patch
061 Joek86
065 zoooombiex
069 Rocky Bee
072 JofZ/ (Sold)
074 pacomac
075 sean sanchez/gkelm
076 Teahead
077 Craise Finton Kirk
078 Rollo Timbre/Tzamosti
082 JKoeth
084 mgrier1
090 Myron Stratis
099 Huckleboogie
100 cannikin
101 Enjoyer
106 Paxton
107 Racktifier/ptbarnum
109 Eskimo Joe
120 Paxton
122 murkat/Christer
126 kb892
128 cabo
133 I am Incinerator
135 Eyefly
136 Soulman
180 Nocaster
181 Andy Westhosen
186 I am Incinerator/DennisRayburn
191 justonwo
211 mrpicard
214 cosmonaut


http://www.bjfe.org/viewtopic.php?p=10565#p10565

Emerald Green Distortion machine ELECTRICAL SPECIFICATION
Z in at 1kHz
app. 500K
Pout 1kHz in 50k
app. 0uW35 RMS
Max load
app. 10K
Max output
1V peak
Max current consumption
3mA at 10V
Upper freq.-3dB
app. 10KHz
Max gain at 1KHz
app. 60 dB
Max inputsignal
3V peak
Suppl. Voltage range
7V5-18V
Power requirements
6F22 9V battery or DC eliminator 2,1 mm plug center negative and positive sleeve


http://www.mpamp.com/bjf/EGD_Owner.pdf
"The whole point of diy is diy. It's not dsoiyathodtr - do some of it yourself and then have others do the rest" (paulc)
User avatar
modman
a d m i n
 
Posts: 4301
Joined: 19 Jun 2007, 17:57
Has thanked: 3108 times
Have thanks: 547 times

Re: BJFE - Emerald Green Distortion Machine

Postby TheLemon » 07 Aug 2009, 00:10

Greg_G wrote:Very likely a similar design with different voicing I'd say.

IMO BJ is clever at tuning his circuits.. and what may appear simple or similar to something else generally produces a unique and great sounding effect.

This should probably go in the Members section for now, as there's no information attached to it.. but if anything is forthcoming it can be moved back into the technical area..


This is all true. Is this a gooped circuit as well?
TheLemon
Breadboard Brother
 
Posts: 100
Joined: 15 Oct 2008, 04:55
Has thanked: 9 times
Have thanks: 21 times

Re: BJFE - Emerald Green Distortion Machine

Postby Greg » 07 Aug 2009, 00:29

TheLemon wrote:
Greg_G wrote:Very likely a similar design with different voicing I'd say.

IMO BJ is clever at tuning his circuits.. and what may appear simple or similar to something else generally produces a unique and great sounding effect.

This should probably go in the Members section for now, as there's no information attached to it.. but if anything is forthcoming it can be moved back into the technical area..


This is all true. Is this a gooped circuit as well?


AFAIK all the hand built BJF pedals are gooped.
The Mad Professors aren't.
culturejam wrote: We are equal opportunity exposure artists.
User avatar
Greg
Old Solderhand
 
Posts: 3319
Joined: 03 Nov 2007, 10:35
Location: Australia
Has thanked: 77 times
Have thanks: 195 times

Re: BJFE - Emerald Green Distortion Machine

Postby TheLemon » 07 Aug 2009, 05:10

Greg_G wrote:
TheLemon wrote:
Greg_G wrote:Very likely a similar design with different voicing I'd say.

IMO BJ is clever at tuning his circuits.. and what may appear simple or similar to something else generally produces a unique and great sounding effect.

This should probably go in the Members section for now, as there's no information attached to it.. but if anything is forthcoming it can be moved back into the technical area..


This is all true. Is this a gooped circuit as well?


AFAIK all the hand built BJF pedals are gooped.
The Mad Professors aren't.


That's ashame as I'd really like to know what is going on inside the Model H and EGDM. Its always very interesting to see what Bjorn does to get a certain effect.
TheLemon
Breadboard Brother
 
Posts: 100
Joined: 15 Oct 2008, 04:55
Has thanked: 9 times
Have thanks: 21 times

Re: BJFE - Emerald Green Distortion Machine

Postby modman » 07 Aug 2009, 11:36

TheLemon wrote:That's a shame as I'd really like to know what is going on inside the Model H and EGDM. Its always very interesting to see what Bjorn does to get a certain effect.


Please, if you would be truly interested in this you would spend time breadboarding the Dyna Red/Honey Bee schematics and playing with parts. Or better even, the Rat schematic: trying equivalent opamps, other tonestacks, removing the buffers, that kind of stuff...

TheLemon wrote:Its always very interesting to see what Bjorn does to get a certain effect.

Yes, experimenting without actually knowing what you're doing can really be educational. I mean that, truly... So go for it!
"The whole point of diy is diy. It's not dsoiyathodtr - do some of it yourself and then have others do the rest" (paulc)
User avatar
modman
a d m i n
 
Posts: 4301
Joined: 19 Jun 2007, 17:57
Has thanked: 3108 times
Have thanks: 547 times

Re: BJFE - Emerald Green Distortion Machine

Postby TheLemon » 07 Aug 2009, 20:32

I've thought about breadboarding all of those things, I already have a few ideas in mind. Thanks for the help!
TheLemon
Breadboard Brother
 
Posts: 100
Joined: 15 Oct 2008, 04:55
Has thanked: 9 times
Have thanks: 21 times

Re: BJFE - Emerald Green Distortion Machine

Postby BJF » 31 Aug 2009, 16:21

TheLemon wrote:
Greg_G wrote:
TheLemon wrote:
Greg_G wrote:Very likely a similar design with different voicing I'd say.

IMO BJ is clever at tuning his circuits.. and what may appear simple or similar to something else generally produces a unique and great sounding effect.

This should probably go in the Members section for now, as there's no information attached to it.. but if anything is forthcoming it can be moved back into the technical area..


This is all true. Is this a gooped circuit as well?


AFAIK all the hand built BJF pedals are gooped.
The Mad Professors aren't.


That's ashame as I'd really like to know what is going on inside the Model H and EGDM. Its always very interesting to see what Bjorn does to get a certain effect.


Hi,

Well sometimes I'd need the headspeed.

You would find if you took the EGDM apart three transistors........ah but the the rest is just workingpoints and filtering.

So you'd mean that you go to this site to find scheamtics of my designs so that you can make copies and sell those on marketplaces like TGP?

I believe I did see something to that effect- not that I'd mind if you'd build something for your own personal pleasure but to use my name and my brandname and modelnames in sales auctions?
Look you can use your own name and sell whatever you'd like under Lemoneffects or whatever.

Again a circuit has no value unless connected to a name.

Ah, but do not take this too seriously- I've seen enough less good to be upset just telling as I see it

Have fun
BJ
User avatar
BJF
Resistor Ronker
 
Posts: 269
Joined: 03 Nov 2007, 11:37
Has thanked: 2 times
Have thanks: 54 times

Re: BJFE - Emerald Green Distortion Machine

Postby IvIark » 31 Aug 2009, 18:03

No one in this thread has spoken about cloning and selling your designs Bjorn, you're almost trying to read something into it that doesn't exist. Unfortunately it's your own policy of gooping that piques curiosity.
"If anyone is a 'genius' for putting jacks in such a pedal in the only spot where they could physically fit, then I assume I too am a genius for correctly inserting my legs into my pants this morning." - candletears7 - TGP
User avatar
IvIark
Tube Twister
 
Posts: 2297
Joined: 02 Jan 2008, 00:59
Location: Manchester UK
Has thanked: 667 times
Have thanks: 676 times

Re: BJFE - Emerald Green Distortion Machine

Postby Greg » 01 Sep 2009, 00:01

IvIark wrote:No one in this thread has spoken about cloning and selling your designs Bjorn, you're almost trying to read something into it that doesn't exist. Unfortunately it's your own policy of gooping that piques curiosity.


I think Bjorn is referring to this: http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=2397966
culturejam wrote: We are equal opportunity exposure artists.
User avatar
Greg
Old Solderhand
 
Posts: 3319
Joined: 03 Nov 2007, 10:35
Location: Australia
Has thanked: 77 times
Have thanks: 195 times

Re: BJFE - Emerald Green Distortion Machine

Postby IvIark » 01 Sep 2009, 00:07

It was one on TGP, he's already told me. Fair enough then IMO
"If anyone is a 'genius' for putting jacks in such a pedal in the only spot where they could physically fit, then I assume I too am a genius for correctly inserting my legs into my pants this morning." - candletears7 - TGP
User avatar
IvIark
Tube Twister
 
Posts: 2297
Joined: 02 Jan 2008, 00:59
Location: Manchester UK
Has thanked: 667 times
Have thanks: 676 times

Re: BJFE - Emerald Green Distortion Machine

Postby Greg » 01 Sep 2009, 07:32

If someone builds a circuit to try it, decides it's not for them.. and sells the pedal, I think that's pretty normal behaviour.

Building exact clones in number and selling them, especially if quoting the original builder's name to do so.. I have a problem with.

It looks to me like 'The Lemon' just built a one off of these pedals to try ?
culturejam wrote: We are equal opportunity exposure artists.
User avatar
Greg
Old Solderhand
 
Posts: 3319
Joined: 03 Nov 2007, 10:35
Location: Australia
Has thanked: 77 times
Have thanks: 195 times

Re: BJFE - Emerald Green Distortion Machine

Postby bbkassel » 19 Oct 2011, 07:37

User avatar
bbkassel
 
Posts: 29
Joined: 05 Nov 2010, 19:47
Has thanked: 7 times
Have thanks: 1 time

Bearfoot Emerald Green Distortion Machine

Postby the3secondrule » 12 Jan 2015, 07:30

I don't think there's a schem for this one yet.


I have one, and I'd like to build another - who wants pics?
"Rock music is mostly about moving big black boxes from one side of town to the other in the back of your car."
User avatar
the3secondrule
Solder Soldier
 
Posts: 226
Joined: 25 Apr 2010, 06:46
Has thanked: 33 times
Have thanks: 13 times

Re: BJFE - Emerald Green Distortion Machine

Postby the3secondrule » 12 Jan 2015, 09:49

I'll get better pics of both sides when time permits, but heres a start

Image

Image
"Rock music is mostly about moving big black boxes from one side of town to the other in the back of your car."

For this message the author the3secondrule has received thanks:
modman (09 May 2015, 02:34)
User avatar
the3secondrule
Solder Soldier
 
Posts: 226
Joined: 25 Apr 2010, 06:46
Has thanked: 33 times
Have thanks: 13 times

Re: BJFE - Emerald Green Distortion Machine

Postby soulsonic » 22 Jun 2015, 05:32

No other interest here? I actually have one in my possession at the moment. I hadn't bothered to trace it because I figured it had already been done long ago (since it's a popular BJF design). Now I do a search and see this thread with some photos and no tracing work...

For this message the author soulsonic has received thanks:
modman (10 Jul 2015, 12:28)
User avatar
soulsonic
Old Solderhand
 
Posts: 3530
Joined: 27 Jun 2007, 04:38
Location: Buffalo, NY
Has thanked: 56 times
Have thanks: 269 times

Re: BJFE - Emerald Green Distortion Machine

Postby soulsonic » 22 Jun 2015, 05:38

And why is this thread in the wrong section?!
User avatar
soulsonic
Old Solderhand
 
Posts: 3530
Joined: 27 Jun 2007, 04:38
Location: Buffalo, NY
Has thanked: 56 times
Have thanks: 269 times

Re: BJFE - Emerald Green Distortion Machine

Postby BJF » 22 Jun 2015, 21:20

Hi,

Here you go:
http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.se/sear ... l/BJF%2FMP

And no I don't mind and never did if anyone wants to build one for their own use or a friend.

Fun note perhaps is that when doing the Bearfoot version some nice 2N1309 had been scouted for another model and I could not resist to try and liked that.
Original BJF model has same circuit but all were made with silicon metal cans medium gain drivers.

have fun
BJ
BJF Electronics

For this message the author BJF has received thanks: 7
atreidesheir (28 Jun 2015, 05:09), bajaman (22 Jun 2015, 22:18), Blitz Krieg (23 Jun 2015, 09:41), FiveseveN (23 Jun 2015, 00:15), Intripped (22 Jun 2015, 22:30), Manfred (26 Jun 2015, 22:09), x-tn (23 Jun 2015, 14:14)
User avatar
BJF
Resistor Ronker
 
Posts: 269
Joined: 03 Nov 2007, 11:37
Has thanked: 2 times
Have thanks: 54 times

Re: BJFE - Emerald Green Distortion Machine

Postby soulsonic » 23 Jun 2015, 00:40

Thanks. What can you tell me about the large "2A1200" diodes you use for clipping? Are they standard silicon rectifier diodes?
User avatar
soulsonic
Old Solderhand
 
Posts: 3530
Joined: 27 Jun 2007, 04:38
Location: Buffalo, NY
Has thanked: 56 times
Have thanks: 269 times

Next

Return to Boutique Stompboxes dissected...

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: danielzink, eric_obrien, Ezzy911, Güero 2.0, lars-musik, MBens11, Satch12879 and 10 guests