Mad Professor - Deep Blue Delay  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
DimebuGG
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by DimebuGG »

Happy New Year!..

Better late than never... :)

I based this layout according to measurements of a 1590B-type enclosure.
Attachments
Deep Blue Delay.pdf
(140.17 KiB) Downloaded 1108 times
Finch: A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire
Stifler: Suck my dick - Ron Jeremy

Kramer
Information

Post by Kramer »

Hi all!
I built this pedal with PT2399 and TL072CP, sounds great but when i pick the strings hard, the sound becomes distorted.
What causes this? and how can i repair it?
Thanks!

mojah63
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by mojah63 »

Dump the tl072 and try a jrc2068 I had the same problem in.my build and tried a few different op amps.

Seiche
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Seiche »

doesn't the original use an ad712?

mojah63
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by mojah63 »

Yeah it does but mine always distorted until I swapped it out. I rolled a few opamps in and found the njm2068 was the cleanest. Maybe it's supposed to sound grungy but I didn't like it.

kabi
Information

Post by kabi »

hi all, i just built this with Rocklander's layout but i have no output, opened a new thread in 'debugging'

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21702

I'd extremely appreciate any input. thanks :-)

zetabeta
Information

Post by zetabeta »

Hi , I built a Deep Blue Delay and it sounds good except it has a low but audible motor boating sound. I have read it is probably the PT 2399 . The sound stops when I turn the time knob way down almost all the way. Any thoughts?

Seiche
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Seiche »

zetabeta wrote:it is probably the PT 2399

tiococo
Information

Post by tiococo »

Hey guys

I made a version of this pedal and it had a very noticeable volume jump from bypass to on
So I tweaked the 12k resistor in the feedback loop of the last opamp and that did the trick to unity gain.

I think I left it in 10k or 8,2k

regards

ilearn
Information

Post by ilearn »

Will it be possible to add tails switch?

Thanks in advance.

rasta_maleek
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by rasta_maleek »

ilearn wrote:Will it be possible to add tails switch?

Thanks in advance.
yes, without true bypass and using a electronic switching

friedtransistor
Solder Soldier
Information
my favorite amplifier: Marshal Class v
Completed builds: Mad Professor Deep Blue delay, Mark Hammer's Chaos Fuzz, and an overdrive for my friend at church.

Post by friedtransistor »

Oh wow, finally found the DBD thread! I just want to say, I made the one with the volume mod, and I love it! I just change one of the caps in the feedback loop to remove a little bit more of the hash. Sounds amazing. I can get very ambient tones with the delay time maxed, and repeats just below infinite. And if I turn down the mix knob to about a quarter turn, I can get very analog tones. Example:
With the settings I chose, it sounded almost like a reverb. Epiphone Les Paul Special II > Deep Blue Delay > Fender Frontman B15 bass amp > built-in mic of Ipod Touch 4G 32GB, for those looking to copy the tone...
For all you starwars fans...

Sorry, downsized by request.

Did I mention I love bass?

moto86
Information

Post by moto86 »

Hi guys,

I just built the Deep Blue Delay with this Layout: http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.de/2012 ... delay.html

Everything works fine - I only seem to have one problem: I don't get more than 7-8 Repeats. As I've seen in videos of the original pedal, it's supposed to be almost infinite.

Anybody got an idea what the problem/solution could be?

friedtransistor
Solder Soldier
Information
Completed builds: Mad Professor Deep Blue delay, Mark Hammer's Chaos Fuzz, and an overdrive for my friend at church.

moto86 wrote:Hi guys,

I just built the Deep Blue Delay with this Layout: http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.de/2012 ... delay.html

Everything works fine - I only seem to have one problem: I don't get more than 7-8 Repeats. As I've seen in videos of the original pedal, it's supposed to be almost infinite.

Anybody got an idea what the problem/solution could be?
That is the same layout I used, and I only noticed one thing wrong with it. Mix one and three are backward, but that doesn't affect the decay, only which way the knob will turn. Um, I haven't had any issues with it, so I am kinda at a loss as to what the problem is. I would just say, check over every, and I mean every, trace twenty times with a magnifying glass. When I built this, I couldn't get any sound out of it, and wasn't till three days later I noticed that there was a hair-thin bit of trace that hadn't cut completely between pins 8 and 9 on the pt2399. Hope you get this working, though, it's a great delay. If you want to try my filtering mod, just add another 2.2n cap next to pins 15 and 16 on the delay chip, and add a 2.2n parallel to the 4.7n next to the 1M resistor above pin 16. Cuts the max repeats, but will still get infinite repeats :wink: . Good luck :thumbsup

friedtransistor
Solder Soldier
Information

Another soundclip, this time with feedback, long delays, short delays, and guitar neck bending for some some crazy chorusing:

moto86
Information

Post by moto86 »

Well - turns out I did use a 22nF instead of a 2,2nF capacitor - so now everything works fine!

friedtransistor
Solder Soldier
Information

Hey, just modded my delay, and wanted to share. The mods I did make it sound almost like and analog delay, and smooth out the dry signal. Ok, here goes:
On the input opamp, change the 47p cap to a 390p or close to that. Don't do too much higher, though.
Change the 4.7n cap between the pt2399 and the opamp to 10n.
Change the 2.2n cap on pins 15 and 16 of the pt2399 to 4.7n.
Add a 4.7n cap parallel to the 2.2n on pins 13 and 14 of the pt2399.
Follow the 1k resistor coming off of pin 14 of the pt2399 until you come to the 10n cap to ground. Change that cap to a 0.1u.
And that is it! Enjoy the smooth, long, nearly noise-free repeats. A great mod if you find the delay to be too noisy at long delay times, and if the wet signal doesn't sound good with the dry signal.

imnotgay
Information

Post by imnotgay »

i add tone pots to my build..like wampler's faux analog..to cut the noise..

IvIark
Tube Twister
Information

Post by IvIark »

I did a slight mod to add a tone control and although I haven't tried it yet, someone on the blog said it worked well

"If anyone is a 'genius' for putting jacks in such a pedal in the only spot where they could physically fit, then I assume I too am a genius for correctly inserting my legs into my pants this morning." - candletears7 - TGP

imnotgay
Information

Post by imnotgay »

it should work..i use 10k pot and 0.22uF..provide a clean repeats at 1 second delay time