Catalinbread - SFT  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
aion
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by aion »

icziko wrote: 18 Nov 2020, 17:33 Add 1M resistor between Q1 gate and GND. This is missing component on schematics.
This is on pedalpcb schematics https://www.pedalpcb.com/docs/SOFTii.pdf
With this pedal works consistently, there is no need to "reset" it after each 10 seconds, tone is not dark anymore and different transistors can be used. I tried 2SK170, BF256B, J201 and 2N5457 and they were all consistent.
Nope, this is a mistake by PPCB. It seems to be the result of misreading the schematic of the original trace. If you look at the SFT V2 thread, the schematic shows R4, the voltage-divider resistor from Q2's gate, crossing this path but not intersecting it. The PCB photos in that same post don't show a resistor at Q1's gate.

It'll still work with the resistor at the Q1 gate, but of all the other Catalinbread pedals that use the cascaded mu-amp topology, only the Formula #5 (V1 and V2) have a gate resistor on the JFET.

I've got an SFT V2 on the way so I can verify it myself, as I'm experiencing the same oscillation that's been described elsewhere. I think there's an error elsewhere in the schematic from that thread, likely around Q5. But based on the photos that have been shared, Q1 does not have a gate-to-ground resistor.

aion
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by aion »

aionios wrote: 19 Nov 2020, 19:07 I've got an SFT V2 on the way so I can verify it myself, as I'm experiencing the same oscillation that's been described elsewhere. I think there's an error elsewhere in the schematic from that thread, likely around Q5. But based on the photos that have been shared, Q1 does not have a gate-to-ground resistor.
An update on this - the earlier trace is correct, but 470uF PSU filter cap used in the original is absolutely crucial. I usually use 100uF for everything without a second thought, as I did in my prototype for this one, and mine oscillated terribly in stoner mode. It went away entirely when I used 2x 220uF in parallel. I'm not sure where the threshold is, and it's possible that one 220uF is OK, but 100uF is definitely not enough even for a good-quality power supply. So make sure to use a lot of filtering and you should be OK.

Jarno
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: Something nice
Completed builds: Alembic-like state-variable and sallen-key filter preamps
Lovepedal Eternity
Phase 100
Brown source
Fuzz Face
Flipster
Alembic F2B (tube preamp)
Opamp and FET buffers
Loads of speakercabinets and ampracks
Busy building a modular synth (ssm2044 vcfs, preamps, ADSR's, VCO's, VCA's)
Tables
Bookshelves
Basses
So many things! :D

Post by Jarno »

You can also try to add local decoupling with 100nF ceramic caps (I usually use smt for this).
Maybe a voltage reference for the halfway voltage?
"It crackles....., but that's ok"