Catalinbread - SFT  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
Silent Fly
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Silent Fly »

stevemc wrote:just about to start building one of these, I assume it can be run at 18V like the original?
Hi Steve

Yes. It can run at 18V if you use capacitors that can run at more than 18V (e.g. 24V).
"Remember - all I am offering is the truth, nothing more". Morpheus

stevemc
Information
my favorite amplifier: Little Mark II

Post by stevemc »

thanks fellas, i'll bear that in mind when I get the parts together

roseblood11
Tube Twister
Information

Post by roseblood11 »

This voltage doubler works good with the SFT:
Maybe someone wants to include that in a vero-layout. (I find it easier to built it on an extra board and mount it vertically near the dc-jack...)

Note: If ICL7660S is used, make sure that it has the suffix "S"!!! The cheaper ICL7660 has a lower oscillator frequency, that can produce noise in the audiosignal.

Grendahl
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Grendahl »

roseblood11 wrote:This voltage doubler works good with the SFT:
Maybe someone wants to include that in a vero-layout. (I find it easier to built it on an extra board and mount it vertically near the dc-jack...)

Note: If ICL7660S is used, make sure that it has the suffix "S"!!! The cheaper ICL7660 has a lower oscillator frequency, that can produce noise in the audiosignal.
That's pretty sweet roseblood11. What would be the impact of using something like R. G. Keen's +9v/-9v power supply instead? http://gaussmarkov.net/layouts/bipolar/ ... roject.pdf
Resistance is futile...
( if < 1 ohm )

ShortScaleMike
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: Marshall JCM800

Post by ShortScaleMike »

Finally built one of these, sounds pretty, pretty good.

marauder
Information

Post by marauder »

Another one. Wiring much neater than first one.

gilmour_pugliese
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: DIY Hiwatt DR504

Post by gilmour_pugliese »

hi!
today I've built the SFT, using the "Ver.1 - revised 03.01.10" PDF... so, R4 in the layout is between Q2 and C2, but the PCB doesn't have the pads in the same position... there's 2 pads between C1 and Q2 :block:

I've soldered R4 in this position... It's OK?
I've attached a pic...

Attachments
sft.jpg

waldganger
Information

Post by waldganger »

As i just did in the Hyperpak thread, i wanna thank you all for posting pics and layuts and schems... ; i can solve my problems, and finally works...

This is my version of sft.

I use this schem:

And this is how it came:

the knobs are ugly, but the mxr type were out of stock... so...
Im using fulltone ocd type metal box here too.

I did change some values on the Vol. and Gain pots: instead of 1M log, y put 1M lin. And thats it. This time i get my inspiration from the "magic bus" of into the wild. The sun is from the infinite dingbats, the smashing pumpkins font. FTW... ajja

thanks again.

KJS
Information

Post by KJS »

waldganger wrote: Im using fulltone ocd type metal box here too.
That's a great looking enclosure! Where did you get that???

Great job!

the3secondrule
Solder Soldier
Information
Completed builds: GGG Phase45
Fuzz Factory Clone
Shin Ei Companion Fuzz
EHX LPB
Fuzz Face
Zvex Machine
GGG Green Ringer
woolly mammoth
SHO
Microamp
Noise swash
Phaseur Fleur
Catalinbread SVT
valvecaster
CE2 Chorus
Aquapuss

Post by the3secondrule »

I've just finished mt SFT in the last few days, and fired it up at band practise for the first time - really loving the way it growls with my P-bass. noticed one thing though - the Gain is all bunched up in the last 1/4 rotation of the pot - initially I had 1Meg log for gain control, then switched it out for 1Meg lin. with linear its not so touchy, but it still seems to go from almost clean to full gain between 3-4 O'clock.

Think I'm gonna have to try reverse log, when I order my next bunch of parts... anyone else's build working like this?

Cheers,

J
"Rock music is mostly about moving big black boxes from one side of town to the other in the back of your car."

the3secondrule
Solder Soldier
Information
Fuzz Factory Clone
Shin Ei Companion Fuzz
EHX LPB
Fuzz Face
Zvex Machine
GGG Green Ringer
woolly mammoth
SHO
Microamp
Noise swash
Phaseur Fleur
Catalinbread SVT
valvecaster
CE2 Chorus
Aquapuss

Post by the3secondrule »

What voltage rating would you reccomend as a minimum for the electrolytics in the voltage doubler and SFT? I'm just ordering parts of the voltage doubler, and I figure I should upgrade the 16v 100uf electro on the svt as well. On the smallbear FAQ, he reccomends using e-caps rated 50% higher than the voltage used - for for the SFT running at 18v I'd want at least 27v electros? im sure I have seen elsewhere than it is good practise to use electro's rated for double the working voltage - so at least 36v. any one care to shed some light on this?

Cheers,
"Rock music is mostly about moving big black boxes from one side of town to the other in the back of your car."

the3secondrule
Solder Soldier
Information
Fuzz Factory Clone
Shin Ei Companion Fuzz
EHX LPB
Fuzz Face
Zvex Machine
GGG Green Ringer
woolly mammoth
SHO
Microamp
Noise swash
Phaseur Fleur
Catalinbread SVT
valvecaster
CE2 Chorus
Aquapuss

Post by the3secondrule »

Smallbear don't stock the 1n5817 diodes, will the 1n5818 work in its place?

Cheers!

roseblood11
Tube Twister
Information

Post by roseblood11 »

Yes! Even 1n4001 or similar will work, but the voltage drop will be a little bit higher than with schottkys.
In fact, the calculation in the layout is for rectifier diodes, you will get a little higher voltage if you use schottkys.

Electrolytics that are rated 25V should work, but a little more (35V) can´t be bad...

the3secondrule
Solder Soldier
Information
Fuzz Factory Clone
Shin Ei Companion Fuzz
EHX LPB
Fuzz Face
Zvex Machine
GGG Green Ringer
woolly mammoth
SHO
Microamp
Noise swash
Phaseur Fleur
Catalinbread SVT
valvecaster
CE2 Chorus
Aquapuss

Post by the3secondrule »

roseblood11 wrote:Yes! Even 1n4001 or similar will work, but the voltage drop will be a little bit higher than with schottkys.
In fact, the calculation in the layout is for rectifier diodes, you will get a little higher voltage if you use schottkys.

Electrolytics that are rated 25V should work, but a little more (35V) can´t be bad...

Awesome, thanks! now I await my parts order :mrgreen: what can i expect from running the SFT at 18v as opposed to 9v? more volume? more drive?

Cheeers!

eniacmike
Information
my favorite amplifier: jmp
Completed builds: sho, trotsky, crackle not okay, honey driver, red llama, tube sound fuzz, fuzz face, civil war muff, skreddy mayo, dr. boogie, catalinbread dls, catalinbread sft, boss tr2 volume mod, ge7 upgrade, crybaby mods, bazz fuss, cot50, zendrive, ocd, fuzz factory,

Post by eniacmike »

I used madbeans board. Came out awesome. sounds really great. huge gain on tap but also captures the dynamic growl on dailed back settings. Really great quiet lo noise sound too.
xicon metal film resistors, xicon electrolytics, topmay box caps.
I used a 125b enclosure for a little more breathing room.

I know the offboard wiring is kind of messy but i made this pedal in 3.5 hours right before I left for tour so when I get home I will clean things up a little bit.

waldganger
Information

Post by waldganger »

KJS wrote:
waldganger wrote: Im using fulltone ocd type metal box here too.
That's a great looking enclosure! Where did you get that???

Great job!
tnx dude... Im from Argentina, and the enclosure is a gift of my friend, who mades boutique pedals here. He just give me a few for my diyers projects.

tnx again !

the3secondrule
Solder Soldier
Information
Fuzz Factory Clone
Shin Ei Companion Fuzz
EHX LPB
Fuzz Face
Zvex Machine
GGG Green Ringer
woolly mammoth
SHO
Microamp
Noise swash
Phaseur Fleur
Catalinbread SVT
valvecaster
CE2 Chorus
Aquapuss

Post by the3secondrule »

I can totally reccomend this voltage doubler as a worthy additional to the SFT - in fact I'd say running this pedal at ~18v is almost essential. the amount of output on this thing is massive now - with my epi valve Jr and SG, this thing is totally grindy rawk heaven! looking forward to cranking it on my bass at practise :-)

Also - I can totally reccomend using a 1M reverse log pot for the Gain control - makes the gain range way more controllable, way easier to dial it in...

loving this pedal... :thumbsup gonna have to try some more Catalinbread stuff! Must try the Semaphore if anyone has a layout?

eniacmike
Information
Completed builds: sho, trotsky, crackle not okay, honey driver, red llama, tube sound fuzz, fuzz face, civil war muff, skreddy mayo, dr. boogie, catalinbread dls, catalinbread sft, boss tr2 volume mod, ge7 upgrade, crybaby mods, bazz fuss, cot50, zendrive, ocd, fuzz factory,

Post by eniacmike »

Here is video of my SFT clone with a jazz bass. Solid state hartke head.

only mods:

1MC reverse log gain knob - earlier breakup, more control over dirty section of gain control.
100kB linear volume knob - easier control of master volume, unity volume is closer to 12 o'clock.

I used madbeans faultline project board, excellent board.
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/projects/index.html

eniacmike
Information

Post by eniacmike »

demo video of my clone.

MojoFilter
Information

Post by MojoFilter »

i built one of these with madbean's faultline board and i added a built in charge pump for 18v with his road rage board. it came together easy and worked right away. i'll definitely be getting more boards from madbean

this thing sounds amazing! it's the first od/distortion that i've tried in years that i like better than my old reezafratzitz. i built it into a radioshack aluminum project enclosure; i love those things and i wish they had them in more than one size. once i paint it and put knobs on it, i'll post a picture. i need to try out a reverse log pot, but i am really happy with this pedal.