Lovepedal - Morph Fuzz (a new Lovepedal)

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
The Rotagilla
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by The Rotagilla »

I'm sure the phone lines are lighting up as I post. :roll:
Lovepedal Morph

madbean
Information

Post by madbean »

Two separate fuzz circuits with a blend control, a'la Easy Face input cap?

bajaman
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by bajaman »

UGG ly :lol:

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YVM-1
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

The clip sounds pretty bland and boring... like pretty much every Lovepedal I've heard. I wish they'd use something other than the same generic Strat blues riffs to demo their pedals, cuz it tells me almost nothing about how it actually sounds. I don't play a Strat and I don't play Blues, so does that exclude me from being able to enjoy a booteek pedal?

JHS
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by JHS »

Interesting, most of the Lovepedal stuff had been discontinued after a short time and had been replaced with other circuits that nobody needs.

I saw a dual-pedal with a Si- and a Ge-fuzz on ebay some time ago. Seems he cloned it, added a blend pot and called it it Morph (... and another Lovepedal is born).

JHS

DougH
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by DougH »

soulsonic wrote:The clip sounds pretty bland and boring... like pretty much every Lovepedal I've heard. I wish they'd use something other than the same generic Strat blues riffs to demo their pedals, cuz it tells me almost nothing about how it actually sounds. I don't play a Strat and I don't play Blues, so does that exclude me from being able to enjoy a booteek pedal?
I agree. There's some nice guitar playing in some of their clips, but tonally they don't say anything I haven't heard a thousand times before somewhere else. Which is why I don't get all the hype over these products.

I thought the "nasty Si fuzz" characterization was pretty funny. I get a kick out of that kind of stuff. The same old banal stereotypes about Ge being "warm" and Si being "nasty"- And the millions of stupid guitarists who never question this bullsh*t...

polarbearfx
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by polarbearfx »

haha, guys check this out

http://www.lovepedal.com/best_rock_guitar_tone_ever.htm

talk about the hype, what do we have here? What is this one now?

MoreCowbell
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by MoreCowbell »

DougH wrote: I thought the "nasty Si fuzz" characterization was pretty funny. I get a kick out of that kind of stuff. The same old banal stereotypes about Ge being "warm" and Si being "nasty"- And the millions of stupid guitarists who never question this bullsh*t...
I agree. I've made silicon fuzzes that were "smooth" and "warm", and germanium fuzzes that were as "nasty" as you could ever hope for.

People feel the need to make generalizations, whether or not they're true.

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YVM-1
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

Ugh, that clip is weak too! All you hear is the simple little plucky intro to an AC/DC song but it stops before he actually starts rocking out and playing hard. What you hear in that clip could be done with probably a dozen different boxes easily. A Vex Box of Rock does the heavy crunch thing better than that! Stupid! That Lovepedal site is starting to get on my nerves in a big way. He really might the most obnoxious one of all.
"Carbon Battery only! For correct SAG."
What a crock!

polarbearfx
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by polarbearfx »

soulsonic wrote:Ugh, that clip is weak too! All you hear is the simple little plucky intro to an AC/DC song but it stops before he actually starts rocking out and playing hard. What you hear in that clip could be done with probably a dozen different boxes easily. A Vex Box of Rock does the heavy crunch thing better than that! Stupid! That Lovepedal site is starting to get on my nerves in a big way. He really might the most obnoxious one of all.
"Carbon Battery only! For correct SAG."
What a crock!
the thing is lovepedals pedal is problem something that has been around before, something simple in a box and hyped all up. It probably has 8 components, and is something so simple and silly like a jack orman simplified big muff. Its always something ridiculous like that.

madbean
Information

Post by madbean »

NO LED STATUS (reduces drain on circuit, noise, adds clarity, harmonics)

Hilarious!

DougH
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by DougH »

soulsonic wrote: That Lovepedal site is starting to get on my nerves in a big way. He really might the most obnoxious one of all.
The Gear Page people love this guy. That should tell you something...

His whole shtick is tailor-made for the clueless unwashed masses.

JHS
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by JHS »

It seems that the people on TPG love every B-maker and half of them seem to be B-makers.

JHS

chris_d
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by chris_d »

For real, that fellow is truly someone who understands commerce.

Pedals, guitars, amps, all of the stuff he is involved with just is "sold" so well. He understands his audience(lots of $$, a lot less talent, a penchant for the scent of cork) and he is really effective in hyping them up to their (very high) sale prices.

It is only shocking that people drop the cash for that shit if you discount his marketing skill. He is very good.

As an aside, i suspect that he posts under at least a couple of different names over at TGP. This is completely unfounded, just a suspicion i have due to certain types of posts that show up about his various products. Like i said, he is very good, i can't discount the possibility.

:) I think it is funny. My feeling is, well, as long as there are available suckers...

Someone is going to be taking their money.

Even if i can't for personal ethical reasons, i can't really fault a soulless bastard like mr. lovepedal for it. Like pop music, i fault the consumer, not the producer. If it can't sell, a even marketing genius won't build it. Doing so would cut into the profits. :D

-chris

DougH
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by DougH »

chris_d wrote:
As an aside, i suspect that he posts under at least a couple of different names over at TGP. This is completely unfounded, just a suspicion i have due to certain types of posts that show up about his various products. Like i said, he is very good, i can't discount the possibility.
He used to pimp pretty hard in the general pedal discussion forums, and I suspect he had a few "plants" that were shilling for him too. It was fairly obvious. Before I left they outlawed that kind of stuff in the general forums and made the bootweekers move to the manufacturer forum to "sell" stuff.

I quit visiting TGP a while ago and don't miss it a bit. What a 3-ring circus...

chris_d
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by chris_d »

DougH wrote:I quit visiting TGP a while ago and don't miss it a bit. What a 3-ring circus...
Yeah, i hear you. I pop in there with some regularity to sort of "keep up" with what is going on in the realm of noise toys and whatnot, and there are a few posters whose opinions and ideas i genuinely like to hear, but man, there are an awful lot of idiots there too. Gadzooks!

-chris

briggs
Tube Twister
Information
my favorite amplifier: Briggs Custom Suprono
Completed builds: Too many to still class myself as sane....

Post by briggs »

Same here, I used to actually laugh at some posts there :lol:

I am Klon.

snail
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by snail »

I couldn't agree more with the big marketing post, after all since I graduated in business and administration, I learnt the goal of companies is to maximize the shareholders wealth.
sorry about the rest, i just edited, i got a bit political...

snail

guisquil
Information

Post by guisquil »

Are all those post of guys saying that they ordered that pedal just from listening to those two clips on the web site for real?

DougH
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by DougH »

One of the most simultaneously hilarious/pathetic examples of forum groupthink I saw was a thread at the les paul forum about the reissue Vox AC15. Someone started a thread about it and people started ordering. One of the first guys to get one took it apart and took some photos. When they discovered this "handwired" amp had a couple PCB's in it, it started a big ruckus- "Oh Dear! We cannot have any PCB's in our vintage amp!"

Okay, so far so good, nothing unexpected here. But the funny part was when some of them started cancelling their orders- sight unseen, sound unheard- based on this stupid internet thread. I mean, they didn't even give it a chance. It just didn't fit into their politically-correct framework and offended their sensibilities as "vintage amp connoisseurs". And I guess they felt they would lose too much respect from their LP forum buddies if they dared play through it, degrading and demeaning their $$$ guitars in the process.

Bwahahaha!

The internet is an endless source of entertainment...

(BTW, I tried one of these out and it's a great sounding amp...)