Xotic EP-Booster  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
Psychotronic
Information

Post by Psychotronic »

First time posting, I really like this place and plan on trying several builds....if I can get this one working, that is!

I tried to build the above vero layout (my first time using vero), but I'm not getting any signal once the effect is engaged. I do get a clean signal thru it when disengaged, so I believe I have the switch wired correctly. However, once engaged, the LED lights up but there is no sound. I checked the board closely to make sure there is no solder jumping over to the previous/next line. Also, instead of the internal dip switch, I used 2 SPDT switches off board.

Any ideas?

My apologies for the messy wiring, it was only supposed to be temporary until I got it working! Hopefully, these will help...

https://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp2 ... 011420.jpg
https://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp2 ... 011422.jpg
https://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp2 ... 11422b.jpg
https://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp2 ... 011423.jpg

okgb
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by okgb »

Sounds like something shorting to ground or the connection being broken ,
triple check , follow signal flow with the schematic , good luck

TubeOrgasmer
Information

Post by TubeOrgasmer »

Try running a blade like an xacto knife in between the copper lines and see if the solder pads are touching inbetween the rows, that might cause something to short out, and it's usually the first thing I check and most of the time it's the case.

Psychotronic
Information

Post by Psychotronic »

Yeah, that was the first thing I tried. I'm questioning whether I have the jacks wired correctly, specifically the input jack.

miamimart
Information

Post by miamimart »

Has anybody traced the EP Booster version 2....the one with the unity gain feature? Thinking about doing a build, but wouldn't mind that feature. Thanks.

bigorangefan79
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by bigorangefan79 »

miamimart wrote:Has anybody traced the EP Booster version 2....the one with the unity gain feature? Thinking about doing a build, but wouldn't mind that feature. Thanks.
Just put a trim pot between the grounded lug of the volume pot and ground.

Brainbender
Breadboard Brother
Information
Completed builds: Fuzz Factory, Shin-ei Fuzz, Sixties Fuzzface, Fender Blender, Bazz Fuss, RAT, Tonebender, SFT, Blue Box, Super-fuzz, Big Muff (many versions), Mosrite Fuzzrite

Post by Brainbender »

Psychotronic wrote:First time posting, I really like this place and plan on trying several builds....if I can get this one working, that is!

I tried to build the above vero layout (my first time using vero), but I'm not getting any signal once the effect is engaged. I do get a clean signal thru it when disengaged, so I believe I have the switch wired correctly. However, once engaged, the LED lights up but there is no sound. I checked the board closely to make sure there is no solder jumping over to the previous/next line. Also, instead of the internal dip switch, I used 2 SPDT switches off board.

Any ideas?

My apologies for the messy wiring, it was only supposed to be temporary until I got it working! Hopefully, these will help...

https://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp2 ... 011420.jpg
https://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp2 ... 011422.jpg
https://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp2 ... 11422b.jpg
https://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp2 ... 011423.jpg

I have (almost) the same problem with Moska's layout. The only difference is that I do hear some boost, but only when I crank the amp. :blackeye
I'm using Meadbean's wiring metod.
Btw.; is it normal that LED onboard glow all the time, even when the pedal is off/bypassed?

Thanx.

alexradium
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by alexradium »

I built one with that MOska layout,very low volume engaged,don't know why,it looks correct as a layout,the led is wired always on,you have to break the coonection with the main switch.
i did the epa booster layout and that is perfect.

Brainbender
Breadboard Brother
Information
Completed builds: Fuzz Factory, Shin-ei Fuzz, Sixties Fuzzface, Fender Blender, Bazz Fuss, RAT, Tonebender, SFT, Blue Box, Super-fuzz, Big Muff (many versions), Mosrite Fuzzrite

Post by Brainbender »

Ok, after spending half day resolving what's wrong with Moska layout, I found the solution. [smilie=vibes.gif]
the Q2 (2n5088) should be reversed and collector and base legs twisted. or simply get a 2sc1815 transistor as in original EP. just reverse it as 2n5088. :wink:

Trash Heap
Information

Post by Trash Heap »

Hello All. I'm just getting started with building pedals, messing with circuits, etc. But I was wondering. Does anyone know of a Voltage doubling type circuit that can be added to this so that you can get at least around the 18V that is said to make it work/sound better?

ThoWmas31
Information

Post by ThoWmas31 »

i follow this post, they have some layout but wich is the best ? all work ?

This work ?

and a little question (yeah 'im a noob lol)

in this picture what is the Red square? what does the red square ???

IvIark
Tube Twister
Information

Post by IvIark »

This one is verified:

"If anyone is a 'genius' for putting jacks in such a pedal in the only spot where they could physically fit, then I assume I too am a genius for correctly inserting my legs into my pants this morning." - candletears7 - TGP

ThoWmas31
Information

Post by ThoWmas31 »

i don't understand, what is this red square with a circle ?

and thanks for the verified shematics

IvIark
Tube Twister
Information

Post by IvIark »

It's a cut in the track. Use an oversized drill bit to make the cut or a tool like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130646169681

The layout as you see it is component side, so to see how the cuts will look track side you'd need to mirror the image
"If anyone is a 'genius' for putting jacks in such a pedal in the only spot where they could physically fit, then I assume I too am a genius for correctly inserting my legs into my pants this morning." - candletears7 - TGP

ThoWmas31
Information

Post by ThoWmas31 »

i see, it's a vertical track, like a protoboard (i can remember it's named portoboard or plugboard in english)

IvIark
Tube Twister
Information

Post by IvIark »

Yes, like this:

ThoWmas31
Information

Post by ThoWmas31 »

Are your sure for 10kb potentiometer ???

IvIark
Tube Twister
Information

Post by IvIark »

C10K, it's reverse log in the schematic I did this from. Linear would work as well but the increase in boost probably won't be as uniform.

ThoWmas31
Information

Post by ThoWmas31 »

my proto doesn't work :'( , i use a BC 549 because i haven't 2sc1815 ... pin for 2SC1815 -> ECB and for the BC549 CBE , EBC reverse

i twisted the B and C ... but didn't work :(

ThoWmas31
Information

Post by ThoWmas31 »

Yeah , it's work haha :D

but my booster are a lower or attenuator lol, i use a BC549 and not a 2SC1815 that is the problem ?
or maybe change my capa ( i use for exemple 10µ63V it's better if i use a 10µ20V?)