Earthquaker Devices - Ghost Echo  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
Boba7
Information

Post by Boba7 »

Ok so after getting in touch with the guy from Fuzzdog pedal parts, I tried different values for R5 and R6. I finally found a setting that works really well for me: R6 is 4k7 and R5 10k (same as stock). A lower R6 means more wet signal, which I wanted. :)

Motter
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Motter »

:lol: Somebody made a pcb for this? I feel so flattered.

audioguy
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by audioguy »

I tried the layout from Storyboardist and I'm having some issues- the input very heavily gated and farty. BUT I can hear the echo from it...
The only part replacement I made were the lm7805- I swapped them with some 78L05 I had laying around... but I dont think that could be the problem.
What do you guys think?

apollomusicservice
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by apollomusicservice »

audioguy wrote:I tried the layout from Storyboardist and I'm having some issues- the input very heavily gated and farty. BUT I can hear the echo from it...
The only part replacement I made were the lm7805- I swapped them with some 78L05 I had laying around... but I dont think that could be the problem.
What do you guys think?
At first you have to check proper voltage supply on pin 1 of PT2399 = 5V.

ratrod
Information

Post by ratrod »

The LM7805 pin out is In- Ground- Out ..... the 78l05 is oppisite out- ground- In

Boba7
Information

Post by Boba7 »

Hi, just a quick question: do you think changing R18 (last resistor to ground before output) would affect the overall volume of the circuit?

I've changed R5 and then R6 to get unity gain, but feel it has also affected the sound, the balance of the circuit.
Or is R5 realy only affecting the overall volume?

Thanks a lot for any information!

P.S: just realized my input cap is 1u when it should be .1u, but I was told it doesnt have anything to do with the volume drop.
Cheers! :)

audioguy
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by audioguy »

Rebuilt with storyboardists layout and Im getting reverb... but nothing like the demos. The Dwell doesnt do much at all. I adjusted from 22k to 15k (no 14 on hand) as noted in Sabrotones post and got a bit more from it, but still NOTHING like the demos. Has anyone built one from storyboardists layout that sounds like the original demos?

Boba7
Information

Post by Boba7 »

Have you tried a different value for the Dwell pot? Mine is 25k with R16 12k and it made a huge difference.
(I bought a pcb for it, not using the sabrotone layout)

audioguy
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by audioguy »

Boba7 wrote:Have you tried a different value for the Dwell pot? Mine is 25k with R16 12k and it made a huge difference.
(I bought a pcb for it, not using the sabrotone layout)
I dropped in a 20k and no audible difference. Where did you buy your board Boba7?

Boba7
Information

Post by Boba7 »

I've been thinking of a couple mods that could be done to the Ghost Echo. I don't know much about electronics, I've just built 4/5 pedals and modded a couple more, so I'm just gathering ideas from different readings over the internet!

1 - Shorter minimum delay time:
In order to reduce the minimum delay time, it'd be possible to replace R19 (1K from pin6 of the PT2399, in series with the attack pot) with a smaller value (100r) and add a latch up protection like on the Little Angel chorus circuit : http://jmkpcbs.com/wp-content/uploads/2 ... -Angel.pdf (the whole part that goes out of pin6 of the PT2399). Except with the attack pot (10k, 20k for longer delay) in series with the 100r resistor.
I haven't tried it yet, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

2. Tone control :
I'm wondering if the tone control from the Tenebrion/Box of Hall could work.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/285 ... ildDoc.pdf

In the Ghost Echo there's no resistor in series between BTDR pin5 and the depth pot, so I don't know if it should be added.
Since BTDR pin6 isn't connected, it'd be easy to just connect to lug3 of the depth pot through a pot (with a grounded cap from lug2), exactly like on the Tenebrion/Box of Hall tone section.

3. Decay control :
Just using the Ghost Echo layout/schematic with a BTDR-3H and adding a decay control should work, right? I don't think I'll do it cause I don't wan't to buy another brick, but if it was a new build it could be interesting!

Keep in mind I'm really just beginning in electronics, and merely following instructions so far, so those mods might not be possible or desirable!

If anyone has any idea about them, it would be greatly appreciated! :)

Boba7
Information

Post by Boba7 »

andregarcia57
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by andregarcia57 »

Anything else my unit also has a loss of volume. what can I do? Grateful

Visualdistortion
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: Laney
Completed builds: Many...

Post by Visualdistortion »

I made the "Perf and PCB" layout. Found that Depth 1 and 3 are reversed, and I compared to the original and I think it's less punchy, a bit less volume. Possibly, I will check values during the week on the original and came back if I found something different that the schematic made actually.
I wanna make it
I wanna make it wit chu
(again and again and again)

French... sorry ;)

Visualdistortion
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: Laney
Completed builds: Many...

Post by Visualdistortion »

I found nothing on it, but I've this small volume drop, but it sound exactly like the original in sound.
If someone have a solution
I wanna make it
I wanna make it wit chu
(again and again and again)

French... sorry ;)

nunonaos
Information

Post by nunonaos »

can anybody give me the voltages to the ics?
another question, on the pt2399, if i use an audio probe, in what pins should I hear any audio?

I'm not hearing any reverb and at the moment i believe it's because i'm not getting output from the pt2399...

thanks

Optical
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Optical »

has anyone considered adding a tone control to this circuit?

I am contemplating a Big Muff tone control added into ... somewhere. This tone circuit should allow high or low pass filtering of the reverb, or flat when set in the middle.
In place of R10 or R17 perhaps?

Boba7
Information

Post by Boba7 »

I put the Tenebrion (grindcustoms fx) tone control but it was disappointing, cause the PT2399 in the ghost echo is heavily filtered (look at those two 2n2 caps at input and output of the chip) so you can't get brighter sound.
You could make those caps 1n and put the Tenebrion tone control, and it'd work.
:)

Optical
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Optical »

Good idea - thanks!

Mr. Lime
Information

Post by Mr. Lime »

Looking at the schematic, the feedback and it's dwell control is taken from the output of the mxing output stage, which looks like a differential amp.
Does this arrangement contribute to a special sound or why has it been done this way?