Subdecay - Liquid Sunshine  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

You won´t beleive it, but I found a schematic on a boutique site:

http://www.subdecay.com/images/schemlsv2.gif

It is claimed to be antiquated...

analogguru
There´s a sucker born every minute - and too many of them end up in the bootweak pedal biz.

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

I'm telling you... the extra traffic generated by putting a schematic on a boutique selling website can only lead to selling more pedals... :D
Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal

Seishin
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Seishin »

It may be a surprise that not all builders are slimeball used car salesmen! [smilie=a_happyme.gif]

Brian M
Cap Cooler
Information
my favorite amplifier: Vintage Twins

Post by Brian M »

Hmmmm i suppose i should stop lurking. When i found this place i was really dissappointed that no one was bashing me, or my company. Now my name finally comes up, and still nothing.

Thought for sure i'd be pinned as the 2nd shooter in JFKs assasination or at be blamed for the muppets being canceled.

Anyways, the schematic is still fairly accurate. the unmarked pot is B100k.

The positive feedback loop has been eliminated. it was originally there because the capacitors i was using were a bit dark and the fets i was picking through didnt seem to deliver quite enough gain. 2n5458's seem to work pretty well, although every now and then i will get some that dont want to cooperate.

I'm not 100% all the cap values in that drawing are correct... but there is a layout on arons forum that is pretty well verified. newer production version has some switches that switch out caps for different freq response. Of course anyone who wants to test it out is welcome to fine tune it to their own taste.

I never really thought of this design as rocket science, so i felt like i could share it with friends over at arons forum. As with most overdrives it's more about the fine tuning that makes it great than what style of OD it is.

Greg
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Tophat Emplexador & Supreme 16.
Completed builds: LOTS..

Post by Greg »

Brian.. what's up with the story that you were playing with a TS circuit when you discovered this ?
Doesn't look much like a TS to me.

MoreCowbell
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by MoreCowbell »

Brian M wrote: .....or be blamed for the muppets being canceled.
THAT WAS YOU !!!

YOU BASTARD !!![/b]

Seriously though...welcome here Brian. Thanks for filling in a few blanks on the LS. I think, if you've lurked here for a bit, you realize that things are evolving in this forum from being a "bratty teen" to a "young adult"....things seem to be moving in a good direction, where we can all learn from one another. There are some excellent DIY projects here, and with the continued exchange of ideas, design philosophies, and the occasional joke, Freestomp will continue to improve and evolve. I hope you stick around and join in on some of the fun.

I hope all is well in your (cold) part of the country.

guiltyspark
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by guiltyspark »

Brian M wrote:Hmmmm i suppose i should stop lurking. When i found this place i was really dissappointed that no one was bashing me, or my company. Now my name finally comes up, and still nothing.
SUBDECAY SUCKS! ALL THEIR DESIGNS ARE MODDED TUBE SCREAMERS!!

Hope that helps! :lol: :lol: :lol:

All joking aside, thanks for stopping by!

Guiltyspark

briggs
Tube Twister
Information
my favorite amplifier: Briggs Custom Suprono
Completed builds: Too many to still class myself as sane....

Post by briggs »

Another welcome to another builder :D Everyone seems to be dropping by!

The attitude is changing here, most definately for the better 8)

I am Klon.

Brian M
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by Brian M »

Greg_G wrote:Brian.. what's up with the story that you were playing with a TS circuit when you discovered this ?
Doesn't look much like a TS to me.
Not sure what story you heard. I guess I have to go back a few years. Like most guitarists, I went through a lot of gear that sort of, kind of, or almost worked for me, but just seemed to lack some certain quality. Sometimes there were great ideas that were executed poorly... Anyways, as corny as it sounds the liquid sunshine was a culmination of observations, and inspiration coupled with a bit of luck.

The Tubescreamer is a pedal ive owned a few of and gigged with quite a bit, and is a perfect example of what im talking about above. it is just missing something to me... it's not a frequency response issue. it's a feel issue. I had messed around with TS circuits before, but even after modding them to no end, they still felt cold.

So the tubescreamer was sort of an inspiration. I wanted to rethink the low - mid gain overdrive. Luckilly at the time i had been playing around with jfets quite a bit, and just found they had a more natural feel to them than opamps and diodes.

I actually got the idea of having two drive knobs from the ADA MP1, which is another piece of gear i felt was a good idea but executed poorly.

Anyways, i dont want to take anything away from opamp based overdrives. There are some that I like quite a bit... and some even seem to defy my expectations.... If i were going to make one gripe about this place, it would be that a number of people seem to think they can hear a schematic. A lot of quick assumptions are made, which I think can be a bit unfair. We are not designing function generators here... what something looks like on a oscilloscope or spectrometer quite often means nothing when it comes to our ears.

Brian M
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by Brian M »

MoreCowbell wrote:
Brian M wrote: .....or be blamed for the muppets being canceled.
THAT WAS YOU !!!

YOU BASTARD !!![/b]

Seriously though...welcome here Brian. Thanks for filling in a few blanks on the LS. I think, if you've lurked here for a bit, you realize that things are evolving in this forum from being a "bratty teen" to a "young adult"....things seem to be moving in a good direction, where we can all learn from one another. There are some excellent DIY projects here, and with the continued exchange of ideas, design philosophies, and the occasional joke, Freestomp will continue to improve and evolve. I hope you stick around and join in on some of the fun.

I hope all is well in your (cold) part of the country.
Well there lies my somewhat mixed feelings about this forum, and one of the reasons I have been reluctant to post. I could easilly see my self getting sucked in to a conversation defending guys who don't seem to get much respect around here. At the same time I don't want to get all high and mighty sounding.

Anyways, it was actually pretty nice out today.

AfterDarkMusic
Information

Post by AfterDarkMusic »

That red pcb is super sexy, as shallow as that is.

Brian M
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by Brian M »

AfterDarkMusic wrote:That red pcb is super sexy, as shallow as that is.
You know I finally found a place recencly that will do a lot of different colors, including yellow, which i had been looking for for a long time. I dont think i have ever seen a yellow PCB.... Next time that works in the context of a color scheme I'm ording some.

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

MoreCowbell posted this link:

http://www.rockinn.co.jp/maniac/a1_subd ... iq_ss3.jpg

Please use the search function to avoid double threads.

analogguru
There´s a sucker born every minute - and too many of them end up in the bootweak pedal biz.

just1more
Information

Post by just1more »

Don't suppose anyone has a vero layout for the Liquid Sunshine...

Ta

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

i was thinking about making one. i could probably have time in a couple days. maybe tomorrow.
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

lynessmy
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by lynessmy »

On the schematics, Brian mentioned to hand select transistor...had anyone walked thru this?
Which range of transconductance i should aim?

just1more
Information

Post by just1more »

RnFR wrote:i was thinking about making one. i could probably have time in a couple days. maybe tomorrow.
I put a layout together, but ran into problems with oscillation. Have a look at this thread if you like...
https://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=72525.0

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by RnFR »

did you put the feedback loop in?

positive feedback could definitely lead to oscillation.

edit--

i just took a quick look at your layout, and it looks like the jumper wire that seems to be the problem is the pos feedback loop. try desoldering that wire and see if your oscillation continues.

------

on another note, this thread just reminded me that i was going to have netflix deliver me some muppet show episodes. thanks!
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

just1more
Information

Post by just1more »

RnFR wrote:did you put the feedback loop in?

positive feedback could definitely lead to oscillation.

edit--

i just took a quick look at your layout, and it looks like the jumper wire that seems to be the problem is the pos feedback loop. try desoldering that wire and see if your oscillation continues.
Thanks for looking at this. Feedback loop is the issue. Clipping the feedback wire gets rid of the problem. When I had it on the breadboard though I didn't have this issue. Tried it with and without the feedback loop and it sounded better with feedback to me. That's why I was keen to try and get it going with the feedback loop in.

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by RnFR »

no problem!

if you like how it sounds with the loop, you could try more resistance, or smaller capacitance in the loop to try to tame the oscillations. or maybe try a capacitor to ground in the loop or maybe a pot as well. with some tweaking you could still get some use out of it.

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO