Subdecay - Liquid Sunshine  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
dap9
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by dap9 »

On the Schematic, the trim pots don't have anything connected to the wipers. Is that right? 'Cause on MarkM's layout, the wipers are connected to caps.

Thanks, I'm looking forward to tinkering w/ this one - I really like the demos I've seen.

Brian M
Cap Cooler
Information
my favorite amplifier: Vintage Twins

Post by Brian M »

dap9 wrote:On the Schematic, the trim pots don't have anything connected to the wipers. Is that right? 'Cause on MarkM's layout, the wipers are connected to caps.

Thanks, I'm looking forward to tinkering w/ this one - I really like the demos I've seen.

Nah, I drew the initial drawing in ms Paint a few years ago. I just noted them as "trim pots" out of laziness. Normally I draw by hand, and then make a copy, and add values, part designations, nets, notes, and any changes that have been made later... This won't usually translate well to something i could make small enough to fit on your computer screen and still be legible. This one is simple enough that I could probably do so, but the notes on this are specifically targeted at DIY'ers, whereas the schematic if have in my books wouldn't be all that helpful if someone was trying to figure out why they have run in to a common problem with this circuit.

dap9
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by dap9 »

Brian M wrote: Nah, I drew the initial drawing in ms Paint a few years ago. I just noted them as "trim pots" out of laziness. Normally I draw by hand, and then make a copy, and add values, part designations, nets, notes, and any changes that have been made later... This won't usually translate well to something i could make small enough to fit on your computer screen and still be legible. This one is simple enough that I could probably do so, but the notes on this are specifically targeted at DIY'ers, whereas the schematic if have in my books wouldn't be all that helpful if someone was trying to figure out why they have run in to a common problem with this circuit.
Sorry to sound so clueless... :slap: So does that mean I don't actually need trimmers in those spots? Or I don't need to wire the wipers up to anything?

Brian M
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by Brian M »

dap9 wrote:
Brian M wrote: Nah, I drew the initial drawing in ms Paint a few years ago. I just noted them as "trim pots" out of laziness. Normally I draw by hand, and then make a copy, and add values, part designations, nets, notes, and any changes that have been made later... This won't usually translate well to something i could make small enough to fit on your computer screen and still be legible. This one is simple enough that I could probably do so, but the notes on this are specifically targeted at DIY'ers, whereas the schematic if have in my books wouldn't be all that helpful if someone was trying to figure out why they have run in to a common problem with this circuit.
Sorry to sound so clueless... :slap: So does that mean I don't actually need trimmers in those spots? Or I don't need to wire the wipers up to anything?
hmmmm still not understanding me... yes you need some sort of trimmer/variable resistor... the wiper should be one of the connections.

just look at the layouts other people have drawn, should be pretty obvious.

dap9
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by dap9 »

Thanks Brian. I appreciate it. Still a bit of a noob w/ this electronics stuff. I'll check out those layouts and throw it on the breadboard. Based on the demos, I can see this replacing my long-standing 808 clones.

just1more
Information

Post by just1more »

Here's my vero layout based on the updated schematic. It's built and sounds great!!

I couldn't find a PCB mount switch small enough so it's designed for a 2 position DIP switch like these:

Gila_Crisis
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Gila_Crisis »

cool vero layout! i like the idea of the DIP switches!
good work ;)

btw it think it's possible to drawn a little bit smalleer layout
Zwischen Ordnung und Chaos fangt die Musik an

just1more
Information

Post by just1more »

Gila_Crisis wrote:cool vero layout! i like the idea of the DIP switches!
good work ;)

btw it think it's possible to drawn a little bit smalleer layout
Thanks. Glad to be able to contribute something after taking so much from here. You're welcome to try and downsize. It fits without too much effort in a 125B (1590B) box which was my goal. :thumbsup

Siriustar
Information

Post by Siriustar »

Aw, man. I was so close to buying one of these, but didn't have the cash. Now I might make one....

By the way, Brian, I had a looksee into the Prometheus. Absolutely fabulous, both in design and in workmanship. I'm so amazed that you fit such a crazy effect into such a tiny box, too! Say, I'm up in Portland. If you ever need someone around the shop....

Camphausen
Information

Post by Camphausen »

great work :applause:

Hope anybody trace a smaler Layout, Sadly im such a greenhorn :?

Brian M
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by Brian M »

Siriustar wrote:Aw, man. I was so close to buying one of these, but didn't have the cash. Now I might make one....
have at it man. I've been pretty open about this design from the beginning. Luckily it is simple enough I can usually answer questions about it, without taking up too much time.
By the way, Brian, I had a looksee into the Prometheus. Absolutely fabulous, both in design and in workmanship. I'm so amazed that you fit such a crazy effect into such a tiny box, too! Say, I'm up in Portland. If you ever need someone around the shop....
Thanks man. That pedal was by far the most work I have ever put in to a design. I am not sure how many prototypes I built before I finalized the design. Maybe 10 or 12 in one form or another. One of them had 12 knobs and 7 switches. I still have the PCB for that one somewhere. I hate to make it sound all lofty, but I literally worked on that for over 3 years. Ultimately I went for "simplicity" after working on some far more ridiculously sized circuits.

Anyway, we just hired another guy, so I'm probably covered for a while. Summer is usually a bit slow for us anyway. We are also a bit far out of town. We are practically half way to the beach (newberg)

Brian M
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by Brian M »

Camphausen wrote:great work :applause:

Hope anybody trace a smaler Layout, Sadly im such a greenhorn :?
I actually have a perfboard layout for it that i drew a long time ago. It's not up to date, so none of the switches are on the board. I won't be in the shop tomorrow, but i can look on tuesday. I can't guarantee that I will find it, but I think i know where it is.

Brian M
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by Brian M »

i finally got around to looking for it today. It's not where i thought it would be. sorry guys.

Siriustar
Information

Post by Siriustar »

Newberg isn't far at all! Well, I suppose it doesn't seem that way. I'm there all the time. My guitarist (I'm a bass player by trade, guitar player by bedroom) lives there, so I have to go there for practices a lot. My guitar player always asks me to bring the Prometheus. I think he's in love with it. Actually, we're playing in Newberg on August 11th for Tunes on Tuesday, just in case you'd like to come out!

lynessmy
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by lynessmy »

Any idea what caps value is switched between at bass switch and treble switch ?
And what kind of JFET is in the unit?

I use 2n5458 biased at 4.5v, it sound a little muddy and a little more bassy.
My guess is, i can biased higher to get more transparent sound.
And for the bassy sound, i will pretty much deal with the BASS and TREBLE switch right?
I was using 0.01 at BASS and 0.0022 in TREBLE.

Any kind soul can shed some light? Wish to get to the baseline (original sound) before change it to suit my AMP...:)

Thanks ahead.

Ripdivot
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Ripdivot »

For less bass make the .01 cap smaller and for more treble make the .0022 cap smaller. I don't know the values to use, you will have to tune it by ear...

phuzle
Information

Post by phuzle »

The original schematic hosted at http://www.subdecay.com/schemls.gif is no longer there. Anyone have a backup?

Brian M
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by Brian M »

phuzle wrote:The original schematic hosted at http://www.subdecay.com/schemls.gif is no longer there. Anyone have a backup?
We just revamped our website. Tyler pretty much blasted everything that was on there before when he put up the new site. My computer died a couple weeks ago as well. I know i have it on a back up drive somewhere. I'll try to find it and get it back up when i have a minute. I'm going to have to change the address though. Tyler was very [smilie=nonono.gif] with the way I had the old site organized. Too much junk in the root directory.

If anyone DOES have a back up they can PM me and I can put it back up that way. That would definitely be easier than digging through a 1TB drive of misc files.

kurtlives
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by kurtlives »

I noticed it was gone as well. I went hunting for it the other day, was looking at how you used global negative feedback in the design. Couldn't find an online copy anywhere.

telecaster
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by telecaster »

I found it in my files . Do you want me to post it here?
KindaFuzzy - Looks like a blue nail polish and nutella sandwich.
Freekish - "Our originality is in the basement. Our business is in the toilet"
Guitarlcarl - I did take offence at being called an idiot by a moron.