Mad Professor Sky Blue Overdrive  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
pamaz
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by pamaz »

Hello Guys is there any of you that still is keeping the original unmodified schematic of this pedal in the stereo potentiometer version for the texture control pls?
Would you be so kind to post it pls?
Many Thanks

Paolo

Nick123
Information

Post by Nick123 »

There is absolutely no difference between mono and stereo potentiometer for the texture control.

pamaz
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by pamaz »

nick, probably i've lost some pieces. I've seen the schematic version 1.3 with a mono potentiometer, and the original one seems to have a stereo potentiometer. Since I cannnot imagine how a stereo pot is connected, I would like to understand how the stereo one was connected.
The reason i'm asking this is because recently on the ampgarage someone was commenting that the old version of this stomp is better working than the new one.
Furthermore, mad professor confirmed that the texture control has been modified over time.
If you can give any explanation on these subjects I would appreciate very much.
Thanks

Paolo

Nick123
Information

Post by Nick123 »

You can find version 1.1 is on the second page of this thread :

https://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic ... 2&start=20

I have rearanged that version a little bit to look like the ORIGINAL (version 1.0) :

http://clip2net.com/s/5Ry84T

Designers at Mad Professor probably decided to use the same stereo pot for a new version, but most likely one track is connected like in v1.1 and
second one regulates the treble response.

pamaz
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by pamaz »

Many thanks Nick
That is just what I was looking for.

paolo

edit :and as you said I can't see any difference betwee the mono vs. the stereo pot arrangement......

Nick123
Information

Post by Nick123 »

I actualy made a mistake on the previous v1.0 picture because dual
pot should be connected like this one :

http://clip2net.com/s/5RBEe3 ,

but as I said it worked just the same as the mono pot with the middle lug connected to GND.
Couple of days ago I made a SBOD clone and it is not a bad pedal but SHOD and DRD are still my favourite BJF overdrive/dist pedals..

pamaz
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by pamaz »

as I told you, in Ampgarage forum, one of the members previously owner of a real Dumble, and now owner of some of the best D clones made nowadays, was telling the world that zendrive and ethos are Killed by this pedal once you dial the (tricky) right settings.
There are some youtube videos on this . Look here
Being a Dumble aficionado I was thinking to build a clone just to understand whether it's true or not that this is the "MOST INCREDIBLE BLA BLA BLA HYPERDUMBLE PEDAL!!!!!!!"""
So I'm sure that other Mad professor stuff is even better, but here I'm searching for a very specific tone..
Thanks a lot BTW.

Paolo

JustJeff
Information

Post by JustJeff »

pamaz wrote:as I told you, in Ampgarage forum, one of the members previously owner of a real Dumble, and now owner of some of the best D clones made nowadays, was telling the world that zendrive and ethos are Killed by this pedal once you dial the (tricky) right settings.
There are some youtube videos on this . Look here
Being a Dumble aficionado I was thinking to build a clone just to understand whether it's true or not that this is the "MOST INCREDIBLE BLA BLA BLA HYPERDUMBLE PEDAL!!!!!!!"""
So I'm sure that other Mad professor stuff is even better, but here I'm searching for a very specific tone..
Thanks a lot BTW.

Paolo
First post: I'm a long time lurker/non-builder, but find this forum EXTREMELY VALUABLE in measuring who is doing what in the vast growth of the pedal market.

A BIG THANKS to one and all who contribute here!

I would like to echo some of what Paolo said. I am intrigued by this particular pedal because - like Paolo - I read similar "Dumble-ish" comments from Dumble owners. I stumbled onto the information in reading about a "big bloom" pedal in a different forum than Paolo referenced.

I mention all of this because the builders/contributors in this thread are treating this as a stand-alone-front-of-a-clean-amp pedal, when it conceptually (according to the fine folks at Mad Professor) is designed to feed into an already distorted amp, which is why it seems to have garnered a lot of the Dumble comments from owners of the real deal.

Having said that, does the "goosing an already-dirty amp" angle change the collective take on this circuit?

okgb
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by okgb »

Thats why most fuzz boxes sounds any good

sjturbo
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by sjturbo »

I would like to build this pedal! But I have read that the first hand wired version is different from the second "hand wired (labeled as such on the case), and that the first version is the one to get/build, (per Tag). So my question is, is there a tagboard version of the first handwired version? And if so can someone please point me to it? Thanks in advance!

BJF
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by BJF »

Hi there,

"Tag knows Tone"

Have fun
BJ