BJF - Pink Purple Fuzz

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

Now I know in which BJF-pedal i may find gold and platinum... it´s the Pink Purple Fuzz for only $ 700,-- :shock: :shock: :shock: :

https://cgi.ebay.com/BJF-BJFE-Pink-Purp ... dZViewItem

Fuzz = 2 (max. 3) transistors, approx 5 resistors and 5 capacitors and 3 potis.....

analogguru
Last edited by analogguru on 08 Nov 2007, 07:48, edited 1 time in total.
There´s a sucker born every minute - and too many of them end up in the bootweak pedal biz.

sandstorm
Information

Post by sandstorm »

I always get nervous when somebody tries to offer one of my pedals at a crazy profit on eBay. That sort of thing just triggers a backlash, doesn't it? Then people start looking at me like "who does he think he is?" And I cringed when I saw this auction. Ah, but rarity is what rarity is; and a BIN does not a value make. Oh, but let's totally rip on BJ now. :twisted:

snail
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by snail »

Another case of ebay second hand sellers trying to rip some fool of with ridiculous prices. I supose he bought it for 300/350 tops.

BTW, BJF - if you read this... is the PPF really discontinued? What parts are out of reach? (just curious!!)

Thanks

snail

BJF
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by BJF »

Hi,

Ah, one of the Taharu editon PPF's. Yes those too sold to distributor for 150USD, and they do contain about 40 components;) what they retailed for in Japan I have no idea but usually in Japan they have 200-300% overhead...as anyone who ever had pedals distributed in Japan likely knows;)
In Japan they have a system such that the main distributor shows up at the tradinghouse and dealers may come there. It is more important what merchandise looks like than how it sounds due to the silent nature of the exhibitions, but also if it has a fingerprint it is used.......
A few interesting points here include the Taharu sticker and the serial number applied to the side of the box. I'd be quite sure that a manual supplied has no fold marks.......
Oh I had to change from neoprane on the bottomplates as the corners as cut with scissors would not be perfect and so I put little plastic feet on the bottomplates jestfully called 'sushi feet'
There were about 35 PPF's sold to Japan in 2002, before the japanesemarket collapsed in 2003. At the point BJF was not a known brand in Japan and the units that were sent ended up at various dealers and very few knew what they sounded like.
Also japanese musicians are very secretive of what they use and the most famous ones are so big they'd expect to be given gear.
A little funny story:
One BJF Little Red Trebler was sent to Tahara,now it came with no manual or product presentation and was merely supplied for checking or maybe just by misstake but anyhow since there was no documentation the distributor wanted to return the unit with a shipping agency but shipping would cost more than the pedal costed to distributor so returnshipping was declined and to this day likely this Little Red Trebler sits on the table ofa potentat never plugged in or listened too.......

Makes you wonder why even make guitar effects doesn't it?

Yes the PPF is discontinued or shall we say taken off line due to that a transistor I insist on using is not available- this transistor was only made a few years in the early 70's. I might in the future get a few more of those, but I don't really believe I will. So the only sensible thing to do was to discontinue the model- besides this model was much missunderstood when it was in production.Maybe because it's not a standard fuzz circuit? I didn't think people would miss it that dearly anyway. Oh well maybe it has gone from a missunderstood fuzzpedal to a piece of merchandise.
I used to tell people that said onto me that they couldn't afford my pedals new that they could get one secondhand......but that was when you could get a Baby Blue Overdrive at 140USD on e-bay,actually less than they costed to produce.....I know some people that were very happy with that though and cared more for sound and hopefully still do.
I do hope the about 190 units of PPF's will eventually have good homes.

Have fun
BJ

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

Interesting that the pink-purble is getting a reasonable pricing. On the above $700,-- link you can read:
The seller ended this listing early because of an error in the minimum bid or reserve amount.
Now it has been relisted currently at $3.25,--:
https://cgi.ebay.com/BJF-BJFE-Pink-Purp ... dZViewItem

Long time to bid until $700,-- :wink:

analogguru
There´s a sucker born every minute - and too many of them end up in the bootweak pedal biz.