Pete Cornish - G2 Guts, Schematic, Layout (from Tracer's Fund)  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
Dr Tony Balls
Diode Debunker
Information
my favorite amplifier: Sunn Model T

Post by Dr Tony Balls »

From a cursory glance that looks about right to me.

Taller76
Information

Post by Taller76 »

BaldPaul wrote:File unavailable. What gives?
Would really enjoy (all) the original docs that were posted...anyone care to re-post them?

Cheers!

fakcior
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by fakcior »

You can check DARKSIDE project at madbean's.

MWichni
Degoop Doctor
Information
my favorite amplifier: HI-WATT DR103
Completed builds: Neo-Vibe, EH Big Muff Ram's Head, MXR Dynacomp, Demeter Compulator, Bk Butler Tube Driver, MXR Distortion +, Maxon OD880, MXR Phase 45, ProCo Rat, Colorsound Power Boost, BOSS CE-2, Rebote Delay 2.5, EH Electric Mistress, Fuzz Face, Tycobrahe Octavia, EH Pulsar. Custom made cabinet with 2x12" Celestion Vintage 30's.

Post by MWichni »

Here's what I've got:
Attachments
switchboard-silk.gif
switchboard.gif
G2-wiring.gif
G2-silk-references.gif
G2.gif
Cornish_G2 v.3.pdf
(18.11 KiB) Downloaded 460 times

silverface
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by silverface »

And this
Attachments
buffer_red.gif
buffer_silk.gif

MWichni
Degoop Doctor
Information
my favorite amplifier: HI-WATT DR103
Completed builds: Neo-Vibe, EH Big Muff Ram's Head, MXR Dynacomp, Demeter Compulator, Bk Butler Tube Driver, MXR Distortion +, Maxon OD880, MXR Phase 45, ProCo Rat, Colorsound Power Boost, BOSS CE-2, Rebote Delay 2.5, EH Electric Mistress, Fuzz Face, Tycobrahe Octavia, EH Pulsar. Custom made cabinet with 2x12" Celestion Vintage 30's.

Post by MWichni »

Hi guys. Try out bat43 and bat85 in clipping stages. I have just tried G-2 out with all bat43 and it sounds just great, much overdrive and headroom.

andymanicy
Information

Post by andymanicy »

Fantastic work all round, and a huge thanks to everyone involved in this. Very interesting to see inside!

I have a question regarding the Ceramic and Sybatit caps in positions C3 and C7 on both buffer circuits;

What are these doing? Why the need to use these types of caps?

Thanks guys!

Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Dirk_Hendrik »

Although the type of cap can have influence in the behaviour of a circuit that's virtually not the case in this circuit.
I was pretty certain that, when tracing this pedal, there would be a lot of questions on the type, brand aor whatsoever of the components used. Many assume that ages were spent on selecting the right component in each position. To limit these quastions I recorded whatever I could. After that it's up to the user of the schematic to decide what to do with this information.

I pretty much had the feeling Cornisch just uses average components sourced from places like RS or Farnell and does not want to rely on mojo stuff. Cannot blame him. Other than that a lot of the Cornus quality is in the mechanical ruggedness of his builds. I consisdered it pretty interesting to see that the forst spinoffs of this project kept referring to the Cornish pedal but discarded this mechanical aspect completely.
Example? here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=24821
Sorry. Plain out of planes.

http://www.dirk-hendrik.com

StratWiz
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by StratWiz »

I can tell you for sure, that at least one type of components that I tried has a huge impact on the sound, and that's the germanium diodes. I tried about 30 different types and manufacturers, until I settled on the set that pleased my ears the most. You can listen to them at:

ToneKarma
Information

Post by ToneKarma »

Dirk_Hendrik wrote:Although the type of cap can have influence in the behaviour of a circuit that's virtually not the case in this circuit.
I was pretty certain that, when tracing this pedal, there would be a lot of questions on the type, brand aor whatsoever of the components used. Many assume that ages were spent on selecting the right component in each position. To limit these quastions I recorded whatever I could. After that it's up to the user of the schematic to decide what to do with this information.

I pretty much had the feeling Cornisch just uses average components sourced from places like RS or Farnell and does not want to rely on mojo stuff. Cannot blame him. Other than that a lot of the Cornus quality is in the mechanical ruggedness of his builds. I consisdered it pretty interesting to see that the forst spinoffs of this project kept referring to the Cornish pedal but discarded this mechanical aspect completely.
Hello DH,
I know it´s a the eternal discussion ... I have no doubts that you did a 100% job tracing this pedal.
I also agree with you on Pete´s choice of generic component sources for his pedals, but are you also sure in regards of the diodes for the G2?

I think Pete Cornish is using NOS Ge Diodes (which are available...), as I have been so far completely unsuccessful to find "proper" sounding diodes and I know I am not alone in this quest. This is also the reason (and being a bit lazy :wink: ) why I have put this project "on ice", in the closet and therefore forgot about it a little bit for the past, but it is definitely a question and a task (i.e. to find the "proper" diodes) that still haunts me a bit and I feel I should reactivate this search again as I am convinced that there is a solution ...

andymanicy
Information

Post by andymanicy »

ToneKarma wrote:
Dirk_Hendrik wrote:Although the type of cap can have influence in the behaviour of a circuit that's virtually not the case in this circuit.

Hello DH,
I know it´s a the eternal discussion ... I have no doubts that you did a 100% job tracing this pedal.
I also agree with you on Pete´s choice of generic component sources for his pedals, but are you also sure in regards of the diodes for the G2?

I think Pete Cornish is using NOS Ge Diodes (which are available...), as I have been so far completely unsuccessful to find "proper" sounding diodes and I know I am not alone in this quest. This is also the reason (and being a bit lazy :wink: ) why I have put this project "on ice", in the closet and therefore forgot about it a little bit for the past, but it is definitely a question and a task (i.e. to find the "proper" diodes) that still haunts me a bit and I feel I should reactivate this search again as I am convinced that there is a solution ...
I agree with the above. It seems the job is at 98% - but without knowing what those diodes are, our G2 clones will never sound as they should! Dirk, Is it worth a re-visit? Possibly a de-solder to measure the diodes?

peterw
Information

Post by peterw »

StratWiz wrote:I can tell you for sure, that at least one type of components that I tried has a huge impact on the sound, and that's the germanium diodes. I tried about 30 different types and manufacturers, until I settled on the set that pleased my ears the most. You can listen to them at:
Interesting, that video does sound nice :) Which diodes did you settle on?

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

andymanicy wrote:
ToneKarma wrote:
Dirk_Hendrik wrote:I pretty much had the feeling Cornisch just uses average components sourced from places like RS or Farnell and does not want to rely on mojo stuff. Cannot blame him. Other than that a lot of the Cornus quality is in the mechanical ruggedness of his builds. I consisdered it pretty interesting to see that the forst spinoffs of this project kept referring to the Cornish pedal but discarded this mechanical aspect completely.
Hello DH,
I think Pete Cornish is using NOS Ge Diodes (which are available...), as I have been so far completely unsuccessful to find "proper" sounding diodes and I know I am not aone in this quest. This is also the reason (and being a bit lazy :wink: ) why I have put this project "on ice", in the closet and therefore forgot about it a little bit for the past, but it is definitely a question and a task (i.e. to find the "proper" diodes) that still haunts me a bit and I feel I should reactivate this search again as I am convinced that there is a solution ...
I agree with the above. It seems the job is at 98% - but without knowing what those diodes are, our G2 clones will never sound as they should! Dirk, Is it worth a re-visit? Possibly a de-solder to measure the diodes?
If you guys are so keen on knowing the diode type, why don't you buy a unit and try to uncover the secret. Be sure to share pictures on your favorite forum, er ... I mean on freestompboxes. This is in fact a tracing thread, and all contributions focused uncovering the circuit. You can come with information about the diodes, you cannot poke other members to find the solution to your questions. DIY, remember?
Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal

peterw
Information

Post by peterw »

modman wrote:If you guys are so keen on knowing the diode type, why don't you buy a unit and try to uncover the secret. Be sure to share pictures on your favorite forum, er ... I mean on freestompboxes. This is in fact a tracing thread, and all contributions focused uncovering the circuit. You can come with information about the diodes, you cannot poke other members to find the solution to your questions. DIY, remember?
Haha, it was in fact my G-2 pedal that was traced by DirkHendrik some time ago! I brought it to him personally, so what more can I do ... :)

luix
Information

Post by luix »

you have to find germanium diodes with the same voltage drop of a silicon diode, if not the junction shut off and no soud comes out at all.

even mr. Cornish cannot break the phisic laws!
you can find some of my creation on instagram @ luixanalogdevices

Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Dirk_Hendrik »

andymanicy wrote: I agree with the above. It seems the job is at 98% - but without knowing what those diodes are, our G2 clones will never sound as they should! Dirk, Is it worth a re-visit? Possibly a de-solder to measure the diodes?

Sigh....

quote from ages ago:
Dirk_Hendrik wrote:
MWichni wrote: No, I just can reach the sound (maybe as you said the amp is the cause or something else)... That's all.
It would be good to know diode types or even leakage.
approx 220mV
Type cannot be determined. Said that already. The paint... remember ;)

StratWiz
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by StratWiz »

Based on my experience, of trying out tens different diodes of different manufacturers and models, these diodes have huge effect on the sound, and even the same model diodes made by different manufacturers sounds differently. So, Vf by itself is insufficient to characterize them. The way I see it, there are a few ways to go here.
1. Work on a new unit, hoping to be able to keep the paint & identify the diodes.
2. Use your own ears, just like I did, and identify diodes that best pleased your ear. Just like I did (e.g. plain sound without any modulation yet):

There are of course other ways to go by probably unlikely.
3. More extensively characterizing the prior ones worked on. (Vf by itself is insufficient)
4. Ask Mr. Cornish what he used :)

I believe Mr. Cornish use COTS products, but after running my tests, I am pretty sure that he extensively consulted with his clients got their feedback and picked the particular COTS diodes type the created the magic... He has access to some of the best equipment & ears on earth, I would not underestimate his skills either. Those diodes were NOT just selected coincidentally since they just happened to be available COTS...

Have fun,
SW

Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Dirk_Hendrik »

Stratwizz,

Could you please be so kind to do what you did in 2011?

Be gone that is.
Instead of sharing your unfounded and definitely unasked "wisdom" and presenting yourself as an expert.
In 2011 you showed yourself the biggest PITA Troll encoundeterd in this forum in years, not adding, giving or offering anything but being full of critisism on the G2 project and it seems you're startinfg the same role again.

If you know all so well, take action according to your own suggestions, instead of trolling.

Thanks

And for the latecomers who (again?) wonder why D_H is so rude?
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11263&p=135594#p135594

StratWiz
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by StratWiz »

DH, you are correct, you are rude!
Don't try to patronize anyone just because you did some nice tracing work, and don't try to block people from making constructive progress beyond your capabilities.
Unlike you, I was able to actually build a great G2, in spite of the lack of information, and I also helped other people to make progress. Here's a little proof:

We share different views on Mr. Cornish's skills, on how critical are these diodes to the overall sound, and on how to find great sounding diodes. That's OK.
But, if you feel offended by that then perhaps you should consider getting yourself a shrink.
StratWiz

mojah63
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by mojah63 »

StratWiz wrote:DH, you are correct, you are rude!
Don't try to patronize anyone just because you did some nice tracing work, and don't try to block people from making constructive progress beyond your capabilities.
Unlike you, I was able to actually build a great G2, in spite of the lack of information, and I also helped other people to make progress. Here's a little proof:

We share different views on Mr. Cornish's skills, on how critical are these diodes to the overall sound, and on how to find great sounding diodes. That's OK.
But, if you feel offended by that then perhaps you should consider getting yourself a shrink.
StratWiz
Post ur diodes or shut the F**ck Up already! We've been waiting since 2011...