Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
Elo
Information

Post by Elo »

Does someone have successful attempts to built DELUXE version? any schematics?

The Rotagilla
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by The Rotagilla »

Build a Baby Pink Booster and you're all set.
The television will not be revolutionized.

EmmG
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by EmmG »

The Rotagilla wrote:Build a Baby Pink Booster and you're all set.
You mean this:

He means this:

BJF
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by BJF »

The Rotagilla wrote:Build a Baby Pink Booster and you're all set.
Hi there,

Oh actually the BJF design Sweet Honey dlx does not hold a separate boost circuit but it instead holds a number of controls for parameters within the basic circuit and so you can with the dlx version control bass middle and treble but really in such a way that it becomes a different circuit and frankly you cannot with the dlx version set the exact response of Sweet Honey. It is called Sweet Honey Dlx largely because Sweet Honey is an established product name and thus it is easier to market and much more so rather than because it is a variation of the Sweet Honey circuit

As a side note the Joyo clone of Sweet Honey uses a different chip and that gives what I'd best describe as a little 'ping' in the treble making a slightly harsher sound and that makes the Joyo sound different compared to the MP version.

For the record the BJF Honey Bee dlx is a different circuit than SHOD and the BJF Honey Bee dlx holds besides a seperate boost also an extra gain stage for more drive.

The sounds of BJF Honey Bee dlx is not really comparable to either MP SHOD or MP SHODdlx while the two latter do not sound alike-in fact if you were blindly listening to them you'd think they are two different models ;)

At your service
BJ

At your service
BJ

HamishR
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by HamishR »

That explains why I was so disappointed with the Sweet Honey Dlx. It sounded nothing like the Sweet Honey. I was hoping for it to be a Sweet Honey with more tone control. Nope - for me the EQ on the Dlx is surprisingly poorly executed. I couldn't get the sound tailored how I wanted at all. Hard to explain but the bass control felt like it added/subtracted the wrong bits.

Well I guess they can't all be wonderful. :D