My schematics collection on Skydrive

Free online ressources on guitars, amps, effects, guitar technique and more. Dedicated to the fond memory of its founder SPeter Davidoff.
lolbou
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by lolbou »

P.-J. Proudhon wrote:Property is theft.
Another chicken-egg situation... :wink:
- Are you a mod or a rocker?
- Uh, no, I'm a mocker.

allesz
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by allesz »

This is a very interesting tread; I tried not to get in but, I can't resist.

I think that the defense of intellectual propriety can stop the progress and evolution of the humans. A better english will help me for sure to say it better, but I hope you will understand :oops: .
This, applied in the world of musical instruments, is really not very important; but in medicine, for example, it is a different story.

The real problem, the core, and what matters applied to this site; is that a lot of people say, or pretend, to be innovators, wile they are just using someone else work. This is bad, and it's twice bad when the law gives this people protection. And it is twice good when a site like this discover them.

The wallet is a different kind of propriety, and everybody will agree if you punch the thief in the face. Intellectual propriety is a completely different beast and a lot more difficult; but of course a schemo is not intellectual propriety.
In the end I agree with R.G. when he says
R.G. wrote:My personal reaction to this is that I no longer post anything of much value at all.
; but I think this is quite sad, and there must be a way to work it out better.

I soon will post my fuzz evolution for the love of progress and human being :secret: but please, give credit.

mictester
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Mesa Boogie, Roost Sessionmaster, AC30
Completed builds: Hundreds! Mostly originals, a few clones and lots of modifications.

Post by mictester »

I now take R.G's approach, and the stuff I make widely available is either old or basic versions of something that's been developed further (and usually radically improved). :roll:

It's often a sad situation - I frequently have clones of my earlier gear brought for attention, and I usually point out that they're nothing to do with me, and they should take them back to where they bought them for service! This has several benefits - I don't have to fix badly built junk, I have more time to design and construct good gear, and people who want a genuine, reliable product know where to come.... My refusal to fix bad copies has actually gained me some work - people frequently really like the effects and decide that it's worth paying for improved, genuine products!

As far as building a business based on a Bluesbreaker clone is concerned, I found a 1972 schematic in an old notebook from when I was learning about op-amps. It has a gain control that emulates a logarithmic response using a linear pot and minimises the op-amp noise contribution which looks remarkably like the gain control between the op-amps in a Bluesbreaker! :slap: Once again, we see that there's nothing new in this world!
"Why is it humming?" "Because it doesn't know the words!"

R.G.
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by R.G. »

There are a number of related concepts for students of the oppositions between individualism and collectivism. It's worth reading about "the tragedy of the commons" and "bad money drives out good". Fact is, humans are selfish in many ways. There are exceptions, but the tendency is there. Human nature has big components of self interest, tempered by doing better if the group/tribe/city/nation does better.

One proven way to have more for everyone is to allow people to very well for themselves indeed. When a few people get control, they dominate everyone else, and the ability to do well for oneself is dramatically squashed. Innovation suffers and gets squashed. Unfettered self interest eventually squashes the social fluidity that produces it.

It's complicated because it's a facet of the nature of the human mind, which is the most complex item we've yet discovered.

The G
Grease Monkey
Information

Post by The G »

Gentlemen, you have my respect. I wouldn't think that I would find pleasure reading this kind of stuff on a DIY forum. R.G., have you ever thought to write a book? I mean it.

Mictester, you mentioned Romania as a place where your creations were misappropriated. It really happened or you used it based on our imigrants' perceived quality? You made me curious, since the Romanian booteek market is next to non-existent.

mictester
Old Solderhand
Information
Completed builds: Hundreds! Mostly originals, a few clones and lots of modifications.

Post by mictester »

A cloner in Scandinavia use a Romanian PCB manufacturing plant. Apparently they also had components loaded on to the boards there too.

The G
Grease Monkey
Information

Post by The G »

Thank you.

davent
Information

Post by davent »

[quote="ggedamed"]Gentlemen, you have my respect. I wouldn't think that I would find pleasure reading this kind of stuff on a DIY forum. R.G., have you ever thought to write a book? I mean it.
quote]

R.G. has a written a book, available at Smallbear.

http://www.smallbearelec.com/servlet/Detail?no=679

dave

The G
Grease Monkey
Information

Post by The G »

Hmm, you have a point. Although it is not the sort of book I had in my mind, it certainly was on my purchase list. I didn't think of it from the edutainment point of view.

R.G.
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by R.G. »

It's probably not all that edutaining. It's pretty focused on the issue of schematic to PCB. I tried to hold in my normal commentary. :lol:

Fredenando
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Fredenando »

I would highlight the fact that I share what I find on the Internet is no benefit to me more than help its spread. I can not rule out any other or others pursuing an economic or financial use, but that's not my case and never will be.

What I share, shared and continue sharing I've never placed in any web page or inserted between ads, or sold or anything like that, because I share nonprofit directly.

Moreover, from the outset I was warned about you in these areas, which led me to delete from my files all that they came from your signature, unless obviously could have forgotten one without noticing.

I thank you for clearing the situation and for be someone so understanding and friendly.

Notes dictionary:

Analog: adj. analog.
gram. From analogy or on her:
analogical change.
phys. Continuously representing the time evolution of the magnitude

Guru: guiding light - guru - high priest - pundit - spirit guide

Indeed, I suppose that your behavior is a result of these kind of publications: http://bit.ly/YDf4q5

... but don't worry I will not argue with you, you win!!

Thank's!!

phibes
Transistor Tuner
Information
my favorite amplifier: HIWATT motherfucker!

Post by phibes »

Geeze, is FSB the new DIYSB?

What about the benefits of mass file indexes:
- preserves data of all the dumbasses who used photobucket and other free gallery providers
- preserves data from lost web pages created on free servers such as geocities, angelfire ect ect
- preserves data from people e-mailing each other
- preserves data from webpages that people no longer wanted to pursue so they canceled their domain and hosting. waybackmachine only does so much

Is it going to contain copyrighted material? Yes. Is it gonna contain outdated versions of files? Yes, but the end user should realize that. Are shitheads going to use files in the wrong way? Yes, it's the world wide web, that reaches to all interests. Are people going to follow laws? No, they never have.
GuitarlCarl - "TGP = The Gear Polishers"

Image Ken

mictester
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by mictester »

phibes wrote:Geeze, is FSB the new DIYSB?
It's certainly starting to look that way!
phibes wrote:Is it going to contain copyrighted material? Yes.
Probably not. The only part of a guitar effect box that can be "copyrighted" is the paint job and the Logo on the outside - if you imitate that, you can be convicted of "passing off" which is simply claiming that your nasty copy of a product is actually the real product. All the circuitry is based on "Prior Art" and can't be patented or copyrighted. If I'd come up with the idea of hacking the tops and bottoms off a guitar signal with semiconductor diodes back in the 60s, I'd be insanely rich, but every pedal that uses diodes in that way (whether "to ground" or in the feedback loop of an amplification stage) is just the same old, same old...... JATS, JAFF, JABM etc etc.....

Our pal Ken Abate didn't actually do anything illegal - in fact he should be admired for duping the "Golden Eared" morons at TGP!!! I don't condone what he did - buying a $20 Chinese piece of crap, repainting it and soldering a resistor or two into it so the controls behaved differently isn't the "American Manufacture" he claimed - but it gave us all a good laugh and showed what crap the majority of the Boutique Industry actually is.
phibes wrote: Is it gonna contain outdated versions of files? Yes, but the end user should realize that. Are shitheads going to use files in the wrong way? Yes, it's the world wide web, that reaches to all interests. Are people going to follow laws? No, they never have.
The sooner people like "Analoguru" realise that they actually have No Rights On the 'Net Whatsoever, the sooner they'll stop whining and let the grown-ups carry on sharing information and ideas for the benefit of all of us.

Phibes - If you have a technical question I can help you with, isn't it better for the whole community if you ask that question publicly and I answer in the same way? We might help someone else with the same problem. We might even inspire some Boutique Boob to up his game... Who knows? But as long as we're precious about our knowledge, we're doing nobody any good.

I got upset when a couple of people published work that had been mine. I subsequently realised how silly my indignation was. Anybody with any basic technical knowledge could take apart one of my boxes, and work out how it does its magic. It's a bit galling when they claim that the original circuit was theirs, but there are assholes everywhere, and we all just have to learn to live with them. I still think it's funny that the same mistakes I included in products in the 80s are turning up in current products and designs!

Nil illegitimi carborundum!

Pruttelherrie
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Pruttelherrie »

mictester wrote:being sold at a massively inflated price by some Swedish company....
Whoa... You mean IKEA?

Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Dirk_Hendrik »

phibes wrote:Geeze, is FSB the new DIYSB?
I certainly hope not!
Let me make myself clear on previous posts in this thread to be certain;

What I put on the web does not hold any copyright statements. Why? Because as soon as it's posted control is out of my hands and I don't want to spend any time on tracing where the stuff goes. Simply; I don't care if it's shared, reshared and reposted.

But,
It's one click away on my site to grab. For free. Therefore I don'st see the need to rehost on other filesharing servers.

That's all.
Sorry. Plain out of planes.

http://www.dirk-hendrik.com

grrrunge
Diode Debunker
Information
Completed builds: Loads!

Post by grrrunge »

Pruttelherrie wrote:
mictester wrote:being sold at a massively inflated price by some Swedish company....
Whoa... You mean IKEA?
Good one ;)
A true believer in the magic of Sherwood Forest Pedal Pirates
---
New base of operations: http://www.knucklehead.dk