Any books on pickup winding?

Free online ressources on guitars, amps, effects, guitar technique and more. Dedicated to the fond memory of its founder SPeter Davidoff.
andrej
Solder Soldier
Information
my favorite amplifier: Vox AC30
Completed builds: Zvex Woolly Mammoth
Boss DS-2 mod
Vox AC4
Crowther Hotcake (and own variations)
TS-808
Big Muff Russian
Big Muff IC
Superfuzz
Superfuzz
Big Muff
Mixer/Blend
various other stuff

Post by andrej »

Do you have any good PDFs on pickup winding? Books or tutorials from the net.

I'm particularly interested in p90s and charlie christian pickups, which i plan on making for my Jolana Tornado mod. Info on other kinds of pickups, as well as magnet comparison, wire choice, bobin making, magnetization, and diy winders/magnetizers is also very appreciated.

Cub
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by Cub »

I think Jason Lollar wrote one or two books.
I wish I were a chestnut tree, nourished by the sun.
With twigs and leaves and branches and conkers by the ton.

andrej
Solder Soldier
Information
Boss DS-2 mod
Vox AC4
TS-808
Big Muff Russian
Big Muff IC
Superfuzz
Superfuzz
Big Muff
Mixer/Blend
various other stuff

Post by andrej »

yep. and i'm not paying 60usd for them.

Lucifer
Cap Cooler
Information
my favorite amplifier: Vyse BBQ Blue

Post by Lucifer »

There's a pretty good book - available on Amazon for about £18 in the UK - "Pickups, Windings and Magnets...: And the Guitar Became Electric" [Paperback] by Mario Milan
”Sex is great - but you can’t beat the real thing !” - The Wanker’s Handbook

andrej
Solder Soldier
Information
Boss DS-2 mod
Vox AC4
TS-808
Big Muff Russian
Big Muff IC
Superfuzz
Superfuzz
Big Muff
Mixer/Blend
various other stuff

Post by andrej »

yep. you can find "Basic Pickup Winding" (lollar) on tpb.

CHEEZOR
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by CHEEZOR »

Yeah, I have the lollar book, but I haven't read much of it. I think I can find more opinions and answers with google. Maybe I'll get around to reading it. Not sure though.

Aharon
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Aharon »

I had the Lollar book,nothing there that u cannot find on the net.

For example:
http://behindthetone.com/johnfisher/buck/humbuck.htm

aquataur
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by aquataur »

While I believe that winding your own pickup is doable, I also believe that the results will be mediocre.

Reading what Bill Lawrence has to say on pickups, magnets and materials, I come to the understanding that some people have a "green thumb" for things.

Those people were not born with a magnet in their mouth. They probably started out making a pickup with exactly the methods we would start with, but it turned out that they have a certain talent for the things needed to become an innovator on the field rather than a copycat. It is very seldom that designs come out that are markedly different from others (hopefully better in some respect).
Look at the impressive line of boutique winders. Somewhere I have seen a list with hundreds of them. Since they all use the same approach, the all are similar.

You probably never find that out if you don´t try it, but just following what somebody else wrote would not lead to anything better than mediocre.

From a monetary standpoint, gaining the right materials (cold rolled steel of certain specs, magnets of certain materials, sizes and strengths, plastic cases, wire, bobbins etc. etc.) for just one or two guitars will most certainly cost a multiple of a commercially available product. The guys who do it professionally have established the right workflow to do do this economically.

For me as an old tinkerer, I think twice before I start out with some project. Getting a project started boils down to three cases:
1) What I want is not available commercially,
2) What I want is much cheaper DIY than buying
3) I feel the insane inner urge to do it

Mostly it is a combination of the three :D

-helmut

andrej
Solder Soldier
Information
Boss DS-2 mod
Vox AC4
TS-808
Big Muff Russian
Big Muff IC
Superfuzz
Superfuzz
Big Muff
Mixer/Blend
various other stuff

Post by andrej »

Well, here I go:
i have an insane urge to control things with servos and microcontrollers, so I'm gonna build an universal winder to wind transformers, inductors and pickups (almost) automatically. it will have 'tasklist' like programs i can alter, and the only thing i need to do is do the first couple of winds, and then the machine does all of the other stuff by itself, pausing for lacquer coats, paper insulation (in transformers) and similar stuff.

i will then alter the 'recepies' till i get something i like. also, i'm going to restore an old hollowbody Jolana from the 60s which has shitty pickups, so i have a testing ground for all of the crazy stuff, like p90/humbucker winds with magnetized polepieces, alnico blade pickups (similar to a charlie christian), gold foil style or dynasonic style stuff...

eventually, i'll make a scatterwinding module with a pot for rpm and a slider for wire position, which will be able to record good scatterwinds and repeat them at will. and i can even start selling these machines, or offer them as a free (non-comercial) device.

not too interested in replicating old designs: i have awesome handwound pickups on my handmade tele, wound by a master. that guitar is perfect for me, a better one cannot be made. this is just an experiment.

CHEEZOR
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by CHEEZOR »

aquataur wrote:While I believe that winding your own pickup is doable, I also believe that the results will be mediocre.
I have to disagree. I recently started winding some pickups. I have only made 2 so far, but they both sound fantastic. I don't really think they are the best pickups ever, but they do sound pretty damn good (WAY better than mediocre).

The first was using directions online for a PAF style humbucker and the second was just me trying some random things to see what happened. Neither are wax potted.

aquataur
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by aquataur »

andrej,

are you going to make a microprocessor controlled scatter winder?
Pun aside folks, YOU may be the ones that make a difference. Insane urge is a good prerequisite. Carry on.

-helmut

DaveKerr
Solder Soldier
Information
my favorite amplifier: Ampeg M-15
Dynacord Preference 500
Completed builds: Fuzz Face (2)
Tonebender MKII (3)
ROG Tri-Vibe
PAiA Ring Mod kit
Ring Mod based on Tim E schematic (2)
Rangemaster
CNO
ROG Splitter-Blender
Clari (Not) cubed deluxe

Post by DaveKerr »

This forum has several long threads on what you're looking to do. I've built a couple very simple winders and guide the wire by hand with some pretty good results, but it could be that just like your own kid is the brightest and best looking one in the class, your own pickup will sound the best as well.
Another thread
... multiple LFO waveforms (saw up, saw down, triangle, square); a more flexible envelope with attack/release controls as well as inverted envelope. I am afraid it will have more knobs than the TGP annual convention - frequencycentral

andrej
Solder Soldier
Information
Boss DS-2 mod
Vox AC4
TS-808
Big Muff Russian
Big Muff IC
Superfuzz
Superfuzz
Big Muff
Mixer/Blend
various other stuff

Post by andrej »

That was MIGHTY helpful!

Mine will be a lot smaller, faster (with a ramp down / ramp up at the end of each coil pass) and more adaptable. The only thing that bothers me is tensioning: since I want to wind pickup coils, inductors, transformers and speaker coils on the same machine, i want to be able to adjust the tension according to wire thickness. The only thing I haven't figured out is how to control that efficiently. I considered mechanical-only solutions, but that doesn't seem to have the desired flexibility or precision.

DaveKerr
Solder Soldier
Information
my favorite amplifier: Ampeg M-15
Dynacord Preference 500
Completed builds: Fuzz Face (2)
Tonebender MKII (3)
ROG Tri-Vibe
PAiA Ring Mod kit
Ring Mod based on Tim E schematic (2)
Rangemaster
CNO
ROG Splitter-Blender
Clari (Not) cubed deluxe

Post by DaveKerr »

I'd go with a simple felt block tensioner, adjustable with a screw. The more involved solutions get really complicated due to the irregular shape of most pickup bobbins.
... multiple LFO waveforms (saw up, saw down, triangle, square); a more flexible envelope with attack/release controls as well as inverted envelope. I am afraid it will have more knobs than the TGP annual convention - frequencycentral

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Self-Built Valve Amp Head :)
Completed builds: Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face,Tone Bender Professional Mk 3,Tone Bender 3-Knob,Baja BK Butler Tube Driver,Baja Real Tube Overdrive,Roger Mayer Octavia,EH Soul Preacher,Tech 21 XXL Distortion,MFOS Weird Sound Generator.

Post by DrNomis »

Bajaman might be able to help you out, he's mentioned something about winding his own pickups using some kits he bought in a thread somewhere, you could try pming him for some advice....... :thumbsup
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.

sinner
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by sinner »

Here's nice pickup winder kit from stewmac http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics ... inder.html

deltafred
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by deltafred »

I enjoy watching this (pickup winding content).

Politics is the art of so plucking the goose as to obtain the most feathers with the least squawking. - R.G. 2011
Jeez, she's an ugly bastard, she makes my socks hurt. I hope it's no ones missus here. - Ice-9 2012

CHEEZOR
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by CHEEZOR »

I would highly recommend the Thomas Pickup Winders from ebay. Just do an ebay search for them. They are hand-built and are supposed to have way better motors than the Schatten ones from Stew-Mac. Although, I do not have any personal experience with the Stew-Mac ones, many people on the net have commented saying the Thomas ones are higher quality and cheaper (than the pre-constructed). And the seller is awesome if you have any issues with his products. I got a used one off ebay and the power supply blew up immediately when I tried to plug it in. I contacted him and he sent me a replacement for free. It took a little while, but I can't argue with free support for a product I bought used from someone else.
deltafred wrote:I enjoy watching this (pickup winding content).

Blocked in the USA apparently. Copyright issues. I'll have to use a VPN or something later.

deltafred
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by deltafred »

CHEEZOR wrote: Blocked in the USA apparently. Copyright issues. I'll have to use a VPN or something later.
I'll post it on dropbox when once it downloads.
Politics is the art of so plucking the goose as to obtain the most feathers with the least squawking. - R.G. 2011
Jeez, she's an ugly bastard, she makes my socks hurt. I hope it's no ones missus here. - Ice-9 2012

sinner
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by sinner »

CHEEZOR wrote:I would highly recommend the Thomas Pickup Winders from ebay. Just do an ebay search for them. They are hand-built and are supposed to have way better motors than the Schatten ones from Stew-Mac. Although, I do not have any personal experience with the Stew-Mac ones, many people on the net have commented saying the Thomas ones are higher quality and cheaper (than the pre-constructed). And the seller is awesome if you have any issues with his products. I got a used one off ebay and the power supply blew up immediately when I tried to plug it in. I contacted him and he sent me a replacement for free. It took a little while, but I can't argue with free support for a product I bought used from someone else.
deltafred wrote:I enjoy watching this (pickup winding content).

Blocked in the USA apparently. Copyright issues. I'll have to use a VPN or something later.
Stewmac says that the new Schatten's are improved. Hopefully the new line (three models) have no motor problems, like the early model

I never came across Thomas Pickup Winders before - if the customer support is as cool as you say I will think about Thomas unit. I'm up for simple winder myself. Only for inductor wiring, I'm thinking about making my own inductors from ages - there is no other way to get some unconventional inductors than making them myself