Way Huge - Swollen Pickle

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
ShortScaleMike
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: Marshall JCM800

Post by ShortScaleMike »

R11 is the input to the third transistor stage. Check all it's bias resistors are installed correctly and examine signal at Tone Y and Tone G.

Stage3 looks good to me eyeballing the layout compared to this:
https://img180.imageshack.us/img180/793 ... le2zx0.jpg

BTW my labelling for Y,B,G is lugs 3,2,1 or Hot,Wiper,Ground on pot wiring.

SGJarrod
Information

Post by SGJarrod »

I will check the stage around the 3rd tranny, It will not be for a week or so as I am super busy and tomorrow is gonna be new guitar day..... I could not resist ordering the new Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster :thumbsup

SGJarrod
Information

Post by SGJarrod »

I finally got a chance to go thru this thing one more time and all was spot on per Mike's layout, Still the same problems.... so... I tore it apart and started using some of the parts and enclosure for a Creamy Dreamer :hmmm:

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Self-Built Valve Amp Head :)
Completed builds: Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face,Tone Bender Professional Mk 3,Tone Bender 3-Knob,Baja BK Butler Tube Driver,Baja Real Tube Overdrive,Roger Mayer Octavia,EH Soul Preacher,Tech 21 XXL Distortion,MFOS Weird Sound Generator.

Post by DrNomis »

Hi everyone, a guy just brought a Way Huge Swollen Pickle to my flat, he wants me to fix a problem with the footswitching as it doesn't seem to work, now I must add that this particular Swollen Pickle is a bit different, looks like a later model, it has a few more controls both on the top and internally mounted on the PCB, it looks to be made with both standard and SMD Technology, I was wondering if you guys were interested in me posting some gut shot pics of it?.... :hmmm:

Apparently it has been looked at by someone else and the problem isn't caused by the footswitch, so the guy who owns it tells me.... :D
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.

culturejam
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by culturejam »

You should know by now not to ask about posting photos. Shame on you. [smilie=poke.gif]

:D

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information
Completed builds: Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face,Tone Bender Professional Mk 3,Tone Bender 3-Knob,Baja BK Butler Tube Driver,Baja Real Tube Overdrive,Roger Mayer Octavia,EH Soul Preacher,Tech 21 XXL Distortion,MFOS Weird Sound Generator.

Post by DrNomis »

Just found out what model it is, it's a MkII Way Huge Swollen Pickle.... :D

The problem is that the footswitching seems to be a bit intermittent in operation.... :D
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.

phibes
Transistor Tuner
Information
my favorite amplifier: HIWATT motherfucker!

Post by phibes »

All the SMD is for the relay bypassing. Pics would be great! A trace of just the circuit would be great too! It'd be neat to see the updates he did to it for Dunlop. I really like the relay bypass scheme on the new stuff.
GuitarlCarl - "TGP = The Gear Polishers"

Image Ken

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by DrNomis »

phibes wrote:All the SMD is for the relay bypassing. Pics would be great! A trace of just the circuit would be great too! It'd be neat to see the updates he did to it for Dunlop. I really like the relay bypass scheme on the new stuff.

Okies, I'll get it all organized today, will try and get some good quality pics of the insides posted, might have to do some experimenting with my digital camera's resolution settings to get a good balance between file size and image quality, my camera doesn't seem to have a macro feature, maybe I need to have a good read of the user manual....anyways, stay tuned.... :thumbsup

Seiche
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Seiche »

DrNomis wrote:
phibes wrote:All the SMD is for the relay bypassing. Pics would be great! A trace of just the circuit would be great too! It'd be neat to see the updates he did to it for Dunlop. I really like the relay bypass scheme on the new stuff.

Okies, I'll get it all organized today, will try and get some good quality pics of the insides posted, might have to do some experimenting with my digital camera's resolution settings to get a good balance between file size and image quality, my camera doesn't seem to have a macro feature, maybe I need to have a good read of the user manual....anyways, stay tuned.... :thumbsup
simon? [smilie=poke.gif] [smilie=rlp_smilie_130.gif] [smilie=rlp_smilie_130.gif] [smilie=new_tomato.gif]

[smilie=lol_xtreme.gif]

early.memoirs
Information

Post by early.memoirs »

Here's the Swollen Pickle [smilie=wine.gif] :lol:
Scheme 11-25-11
Scheme 11-25-11
Swollen Pickle MKII traced unit
Swollen Pickle MKII traced unit

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

Wow - It's quite tempting to build one of these with all seven pots on the outside to create some kind of uber-Muff...
modman wrote: Let's hope it's not a hit, because soldering up the same pedal everyday, is a sad life. It's that same ole devilish double bind again...

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

I'm going to start work on a vero layout for this beast over the next few days, but I have a few questions for those with more experience of Big Muff variants;

Firstly, what is the purpose of those 1uF electro's-to-ground off the collector resistor junctions? Just for a bit of extra supply filtering, or something else? Secondly, the B-C bypass resistors on Q1-3 appear to be 10 times smaller than usual: what is the purpose of these resistors in a "normal muff", and what effect does lowering their value have? I know the 470p caps effectively remove some treble, giving that trademark Muff(led) sound (Miller effect????), but I have no idea what the resistors do.
modman wrote: Let's hope it's not a hit, because soldering up the same pedal everyday, is a sad life. It's that same ole devilish double bind again...

Seiche
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Seiche »

isn't that negative feedback or something? lower is less distortion (because more signal gets fed back), higher is more?

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

Nocentelli wrote:Wow - It's quite tempting to build one of these with all seven pots on the outside to create some kind of uber-Muff...
how many pots does the Way Huge have? I don't see any trimmers.

it looks like he scaled back the bias resistors(/10)- less noise, more current draw, lower input impedance. I like the new mods! I thought o something like the crunch mod a while ago, but didn't have a chance to try it out yet. interesting!
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

I think the mk2 has five pots, and the "clip" and "voice" controls are some sort of mini pots mounted internally on the board: I remember rick freq posted a muff layout a while ago that had an extra pot in series with the diodes to adjust the level of clipping - kind of like a BMP/super tonebender blend, I suppose. I'm actually going for 8 pots, I tried an input cap blend on a big muff a while back with a 10n and 1uF and it gives some great variations on the standard bmp sound.

patafix
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by patafix »

RnFR wrote:
Nocentelli wrote:Wow - It's quite tempting to build one of these with all seven pots on the outside to create some kind of uber-Muff...

it looks like he scaled back the bias resistors(/10)- less noise, more current draw, lower input impedance. I like the new mods! I thought o something like the crunch mod a while ago, but didn't have a chance to try it out yet. interesting!
Are you sure he did this ? Because on R18 I can see : Yellow/Purple/Black /Orange which is 4 /7 / 0 * 000 = 470K ...
Patafix... so sticky

early.memoirs
Information

Post by early.memoirs »

patafix wrote:
RnFR wrote:

Are you sure he did this ? Because on R18 I can see : Yellow/Purple/Black /Orange which is 4 /7 / 0 * 000 = 470K ...
well my eyes was probably playing on me. :blackeye
here's a closer shot. i can't take another pic since i've sold my unit though
PB251131_edited-1.jpg

mattpas
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by mattpas »

It is 470k
On the original version it was 475k

muskelproz
Information

Post by muskelproz »

Hi there,

i just did a vero layout for the MkII Version of the Swollen Pickle, based on early.memoirs schematic.
I checked it twice, but its unverified yet. If someone spots an error, just leave a message. :)

muskelproz
Information

Post by muskelproz »

Another one with voice trimmer on board. Should fit well in a 1590B with 6 pots on the outside.