Maestro - FZ-1 Fuzztone (1962)  [schematic]

Discussion regarding early stompbox technology: 1960-1975 Please keep discussion focused and contribute what info you have...
LucifersTrip
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: Companion Psychedelic Machine
Completed builds: Mosrite Fuzzrite (Si), Mosrite Fuzzrite (Ge)[2], Get Lo-Fi Fuzz, Fuzz Face (Ge) [2], Fuzz Face (Si) [3], Mos-Face, Vox Tone Bender, Kay Tremolo, Os Mutantes Fuzz [2], Psychedelic Fuzz, Smokey Amp, Sunn Buzz, Jen Fuzz, Fancy Fuzzbox, Muff Fuzz (op amp) [2], Buzz Box, Fuzz King, Rangemaster [5], Maestro FZ - 2/3, Ruby Amp, Orpheum Fuzz (Ge) [4], Great Destroyer, Schizo, Carlsbro Suzz, Shin-Ei Companion Fuzz (si), DOD 250 Gray [2], Super Dirt Fuzz, Fuzz Factory, Jordan Boss Tone, Sam Ash Fuzzz Boxx, Heathkit TA-28 Fuzz, Olson New Sound Fuzz, LRE Fuzz Sound, Green Ringer, Vox Super Beatle (Ge), Colorsound One Knob (Ge), Demon Buzzz [2], Demon Wasp v1, Demon Wasp v2, Super Hard-On, Bazz Fuss, Burns Buzzaround [2], Selmer Buzztone, Shin-Ei Companion Fuzz (Ge), Fuzz Face/FY-2 (Ge), Zonk Machine, Univox Squarewave, Demon Fuzzz, Mosrite Fuzzrite BG-500/1000 (Ge), Univox Superfuzz, Marshall Supa Fuzz, Demon Monster, AA Overdrive/ Retro Fuzz, Tone Bender MKII, Psychtar, Jordan Vica Vibe, etc...

Post by LucifersTrip »

I did a bunch of searches and can't seem to find conclusively the correct schematic for the original 3v FZ-1. Which is correct?

It's a little different all over the place, but these seem like the best shots with the 56K's in different spots:

From forum:

...and this originally did not have the 470K and someone commented that is was missing:

In the first, what's the purpose of the 56K & 10K in parallel? Did someone run out of 8.5K's?

thanx

jrod
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by jrod »

Well, now that you've pointed it out, shouldn't that 56K resistor be connected between the 0.0033uF cap & the volume pot's lug 1 to ground in the first schematic?

LucifersTrip
Resistor Ronker
Information
Completed builds: Mosrite Fuzzrite (Si), Mosrite Fuzzrite (Ge)[2], Get Lo-Fi Fuzz, Fuzz Face (Ge) [2], Fuzz Face (Si) [3], Mos-Face, Vox Tone Bender, Kay Tremolo, Os Mutantes Fuzz [2], Psychedelic Fuzz, Smokey Amp, Sunn Buzz, Jen Fuzz, Fancy Fuzzbox, Muff Fuzz (op amp) [2], Buzz Box, Fuzz King, Rangemaster [5], Maestro FZ - 2/3, Ruby Amp, Orpheum Fuzz (Ge) [4], Great Destroyer, Schizo, Carlsbro Suzz, Shin-Ei Companion Fuzz (si), DOD 250 Gray [2], Super Dirt Fuzz, Fuzz Factory, Jordan Boss Tone, Sam Ash Fuzzz Boxx, Heathkit TA-28 Fuzz, Olson New Sound Fuzz, LRE Fuzz Sound, Green Ringer, Vox Super Beatle (Ge), Colorsound One Knob (Ge), Demon Buzzz [2], Demon Wasp v1, Demon Wasp v2, Super Hard-On, Bazz Fuss, Burns Buzzaround [2], Selmer Buzztone, Shin-Ei Companion Fuzz (Ge), Fuzz Face/FY-2 (Ge), Zonk Machine, Univox Squarewave, Demon Fuzzz, Mosrite Fuzzrite BG-500/1000 (Ge), Univox Superfuzz, Marshall Supa Fuzz, Demon Monster, AA Overdrive/ Retro Fuzz, Tone Bender MKII, Psychtar, Jordan Vica Vibe, etc...

Post by LucifersTrip »

jrod wrote:Well, now that you've pointed it out, shouldn't that 56K resistor be connected between the 0.0033uF cap & the volume pot's lug 1 to ground in the first schematic?
yes, i believe so...as shown in the the 2nd schematic

jrod
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by jrod »

Yeah, I just had a look at the patent and Jack Orman's schematic matches it with the corrected 470K resistor. The first one from Fuzz Central must be incorrect...still.

royaltoots
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: Davoli Studio 60

Post by royaltoots »

guilty as charged - I noticed this mistake some time ago, but forgot about it again - final correction done!
remember - blue border = wrong, purple border = right
Maestro FZ1 corrected schematic
Maestro FZ1 corrected schematic
4329619267_e4184ff6c5_o.jpg (73.89 KiB) Viewed 3233 times
Maestro Fuzz-Tone FZ-1correct schem by simonm1965, on Flickr

Here's my completed build - I used a scribbled-on Orman schem to build it, so the mistake didn't make any difference:

LucifersTrip
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by LucifersTrip »

excellent...looks great....thanx for confirming the correction

Barcode
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Barcode »

Just a point of note, there is a "1" and a "1a" version of this circuit. One ran off 1.4v, one off 3v. They vary slightly.

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

and after all this time! :slap:

topics merged.
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

Electric Warrior
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Electric Warrior »

never trust a fuzzcentral schematic :mrgreen:

great to see somebody is organzing the information here. :applause: keep up the good work!

spazztech
Information

Post by spazztech »

new to the board - hello

I built a breadboard version of the FZ-1 this afternoon though I used
PNP germanium transistors with gains ranging from 40 - 49
in place of the 2n270's. probably a bad idea because I couldn't
get any thing at all out of it. any one know where ( if anywhere )
I can get ahold of some 2n270's ?

thanks -

ringworm
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by ringworm »

A quick question about the correct schematic posted 6 posts above (the pink one).
Is that a junction after the first 20uF capacitor? Or does the signal from 470k to 2k2 not connect to the signal from the 20uF?

jrod
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by jrod »

ringworm wrote:A quick question about the correct schematic posted 6 posts above (the pink one).
Is that a junction after the first 20uF capacitor? Or does the signal from 470k to 2k2 not connect to the signal from the 20uF?
No, the 3 components in question connect together to the base of the 2nd transistor.

ringworm
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by ringworm »

Thanks for that.

kzustang
Information

Post by kzustang »

HI everybody,

reading the remarks on Glen's original patent states that the "missing" 470k resistor is actually a 470 Ohm resistor used for avoiding temperature problems on Q2.
can anyone verify that? 470R or 470K. the drawing in the patent designates this resistor as numbered 261 (probably because it was added later).

he also mentions that Base and Emitter voltages on Q1 should show a bias of -1.5V and a -3V bias on the collector of Q2, probably using a 1mA leaky 2N270 transistors.

I really want to build this pedal and it seems very hard to get the Voodoo out of this circuit and demistify the legendary sound.
Can anyone post a schematic with newer transistors which can be bought from SMallBear and change the circuit to get the right biasing on Q1-3?

THanks for the interest.

D

create something greater, something uncontainable. Make sure you are at a constant motion forward...

Electric Warrior
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Electric Warrior »

kzustang wrote:HI everybody,

reading the remarks on Glen's original patent states that the "missing" 470k resistor is actually a 470 Ohm resistor used for avoiding temperature problems on Q2.
can anyone verify that? 470R or 470K. the drawing in the patent designates this resistor as numbered 261 (probably because it was added later).

kzustang
Information

Post by kzustang »

well, this certainly looks like a 470k resistor.
Thanks man, I just finished breadboarding this circuit with trimmers on all 10k resistors and also a 20k on the 1.5k.
I did get a nasty buzz distortion which means I am in the right direction. I used some leaky AC128 trannies.
the fuzz pot still doesn't seem to work as it should because it has no effect whatsoever.

I'll try some more fiddling about and post my results.

K Zustang

create something greater, something uncontainable. Make sure you are at a constant motion forward...

royaltoots
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: Davoli Studio 60

Post by royaltoots »

what is the hfe of your current transistors? - i think i got mine going with around the 70-90 range, they don't have to be high gain (or leaky) in my experience. i was never one for checking voltages though. it's not really like a "proper" fuzz sound, you should get crude blasts of blatty fuzz, with a fast decay, and it will sound better with higher output pickups.

Simon

Rolbista
Solder Soldier
Information
Completed builds: Mosrite Fuzzrite clone

Post by Rolbista »

Could someone post some pictures with enclosure dimensions marked on them? I would like to make a repro enclosure and I would like to do it with accurate proportions. Pretty please.

John Lyons
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by John Lyons »

These are made with the same dimentions.
Might save you some time.
http://www.pedalenclosures.com/Products ... fault.aspx

Rolbista
Solder Soldier
Information
Completed builds: Mosrite Fuzzrite clone

Post by Rolbista »

That's nice, but the point is I have a lot of time and i like tinkering with metal. Besides, shippin would probably cost me more than the enclosure