Wampler Pedals - Triple Wreck  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.

Re: Wampler -Triple Wreck-

Postby caspercody » 11 Nov 2010, 15:12

Sikor,
Thanks for getting back about the underside picture. Is there any way to get cap values? Maybe start at top left work your way down, then start at top middle work your way down......?

Thanks
Rob
caspercody
Solder Soldier
 
Posts: 239
Joined: 15 Jul 2009, 15:34
Has thanked: 29 times
Have thanks: 37 times

Re: Wampler -Triple Wreck-

Postby tuemmueh » 11 Nov 2010, 16:21

You shouldn't need to desolder anything, just remove the poti-nuts and maybe the dc-nut and remove the board. That's the advantage of pcb-mounted pots and wired switches and jacks!
tuemmueh
Solder Soldier
 
Posts: 166
Joined: 27 Jun 2007, 00:30
Has thanked: 7 times
Have thanks: 2 times

Re: Wampler -Triple Wreck-

Postby Sikor » 12 Nov 2010, 14:51

caspercody wrote:Sikor,
Thanks for getting back about the underside picture. Is there any way to get cap values? Maybe start at top left work your way down, then start at top middle work your way down......?

Thanks
Rob


Ok I'll try to read component values.
But having 2 young sons: (2y and 6m) I do not have really any time for even playing guitar :cry:
So, please do not expect that right away, but I'll try to do it in a reasonable future :wink:
Practice cures most tone issues - John Suhr
--
My Musikmesse 2012 gallery and more...
User avatar
Sikor
 
Posts: 46
Joined: 08 Jan 2008, 13:15
Location: Germany
Has thanked: 1 time
Have thanks: 8 times

Re: Wampler -Triple Wreck-

Postby DimebuGG » 13 Nov 2010, 11:37

quaternotetriplet wrote::applause:
caspercody wrote:Sikor,
Thanks!!


Bro, why won't you let your mate plugzzzz chime in here to provide the schematic?. :thumbsup
Calling plugzzzz, shed some light man.. :D
Finch: A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire
Stifler: Suck my dick - Ron Jeremy
User avatar
DimebuGG
Solder Soldier
 
Posts: 210
Joined: 02 Sep 2008, 12:37
Location: Doha, Qatar
Has thanked: 8 times
Have thanks: 160 times

Re: Wampler -Triple Wreck-

Postby plugzzzz » 13 Nov 2010, 22:44

DimebuGG wrote:
quaternotetriplet wrote::applause:
caspercody wrote:Sikor,
Thanks!!


Bro, why won't you let your mate plugzzzz chime in here to provide the schematic?. :thumbsup
Calling plugzzzz, shed some light man.. :D


indyguitarist wrote:I'll save ya some trouble.
All IC based except for the boost stage, which is a npn boost into a big muff style control (cream/crunch). The boost hit's the front end of the distortion circuit.

input - buffer - 1st gain stage similar to guv'nor - inverting gain stage - diodes to ground - non inverting gain stage with diode soft clipping - baxandall - non inverting gain stage - twin t filter - inverting gain stage - LP filter on toggle - output
indy already answered your question about the schem sorry im not sharing this one =P get your self a wampler triple wreck its one hell of a distortion box you wont regret it...
plugzzzz
Breadboard Brother
 
Posts: 68
Joined: 25 Aug 2009, 16:24
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 0 time

Re: Wampler -Triple Wreck-

Postby MoonWatcher » 14 Nov 2010, 00:46

C’mon now – where’s the spirit in that?

Going back to the original pic, there are already some visual clues.

In the lower RH corner, the mid supply rail is clearly displayed - where it sez 4.5V. You can then trace that around the board to the different resistors, and note their value(s), which will give you a good idea as to which pin they terminate at.

In the lower LH corner, you can clearly see the "out" terminal, and can trace it back a resistor or two.

I'd have to guess that all of the big caps are 1uF, which either puts them on the output of an op amp stage, or typically as part of a high pass filter. The inverting stages won't require it.

The bass pot is reverse log, which will give you an idea as to how it is wired up.

Smaller valued caps (once we know their values) will be in the negative feedback loops. Also look for resistors with values like 470K/560K/680K/1M that will connect to them.

There are 5 clipping diodes. Chances are a pair of them shunt to ground, and the other 3 are in a negative feedback loop.

Whenever you have a noninverting feeding into an inverting stage, you need a coupling cap - those should be pretty easy to decipher, as well.

I'll repeat what I said about redundancy/mirroring with cap/resistor values in a Baxandall or twin T - look for caps and resistors that are in pairs, or with a value halved/doubled.

If there truly are "verbatim" elements of a Guv'nor circuit, you should see some 220nF couplers, a 680K resistor in an inverted neg feedback loop, etc.

Based on all of that, along with what Brian has told us, can probably get you most of the way to the finish line. What we need at this point are cap values for everything that is not (presumably) 1uF. Also a little initiative with giving a rundown of the resistor values will allow most of the dots to be connected. Sometime between now and then, maybe someone might pop the board out of theirs if we need to get the last 5-10% of the way there.
MoonWatcher
Diode Debunker
 
Posts: 717
Joined: 28 Jul 2008, 13:27
Has thanked: 42 times
Have thanks: 63 times

Re: Wampler -Triple Wreck-

Postby Mugshot » 20 Nov 2010, 08:24

got links of sound clips from those who have built this already?
signatures are for the weak.

FiveseveN wrote:
considering the low quality of the transistors and caps

Are Asian electrons inferior to American electrons?
User avatar
Mugshot
Breadboard Brother
 
Posts: 97
Joined: 18 Mar 2009, 08:17
Has thanked: 1 time
Have thanks: 1 time

Re: Wampler -Triple Wreck-

Postby newly » 01 Jan 2011, 09:15

may i know what is the closest thing i can do to achieve the BLUE channel of TRIPLE WRECK? I don't need the boost.
Please advise.
newly
Breadboard Brother
 
Posts: 73
Joined: 31 Oct 2009, 10:55
Has thanked: 3 times
Have thanks: 2 times

Re: Wampler -Triple Wreck-

Postby seedseed » 06 Jan 2011, 11:24

Hi everyone,

I've read this thread through and had a good look at the pics has anyone actually managed to work the schematic out for this one i'd love to have a crack at putting one together if anyone has anything can they let me know know iam happy to help thanks.
seedseed
Breadboard Brother
 
Posts: 67
Joined: 02 Jan 2010, 06:38
Has thanked: 8 times
Have thanks: 5 times

Re: Wampler -Triple Wreck-

Postby okgb » 06 Jan 2011, 15:38

Let me think about buying one .............
Nah , the reputation is not that compelling

It's just fun to see how things are done
okgb
Diode Debunker
 
Posts: 765
Joined: 16 Mar 2010, 04:58
Has thanked: 191 times
Have thanks: 41 times

Re: Wampler -Triple Wreck-

Postby theItalianDiYer » 20 Jan 2011, 14:20

look at this......it seems that someone has cloned the triple wreck!!
http://talk.philmusic.com/board/index.p ... 742.0.html
theItalianDiYer
 
Posts: 15
Joined: 07 Oct 2010, 14:32
Has thanked: 4 times
Have thanks: 1 time

Re: Wampler -Triple Wreck-

Postby indyguitarist » 20 Jan 2011, 17:39

theItalianDiYer wrote:look at this......it seems that someone has cloned the triple wreck!!
http://talk.philmusic.com/board/index.p ... 742.0.html


I'd be curious to see the schem... from the sound of the video it sounds pretty damn close!!
indyguitarist
Resistor Ronker
 
Posts: 376
Joined: 11 Jul 2007, 03:25
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 158 times

Re: Wampler -Triple Wreck-

Postby theItalianDiYer » 20 Jan 2011, 17:55

I registred myself a few months ago in that site.....but I haven't found nothing!!
theItalianDiYer
 
Posts: 15
Joined: 07 Oct 2010, 14:32
Has thanked: 4 times
Have thanks: 1 time

Re: Wampler -Triple Wreck-

Postby euronymous0001 » 21 Jan 2011, 00:33

theItalianDiYer wrote:I registred myself a few months ago in that site.....but I haven't found nothing!!


:secret: me thinks that he is not going to give the schematic anywhere

plugzzzz wrote:
DimebuGG wrote:
quaternotetriplet wrote::applause:
caspercody wrote:Sikor,
Thanks!!


Bro, why won't you let your mate plugzzzz chime in here to provide the schematic?. :thumbsup
Calling plugzzzz, shed some light man.. :D


indyguitarist wrote:I'll save ya some trouble.
All IC based except for the boost stage, which is a npn boost into a big muff style control (cream/crunch). The boost hit's the front end of the distortion circuit.

input - buffer - 1st gain stage similar to guv'nor - inverting gain stage - diodes to ground - non inverting gain stage with diode soft clipping - baxandall - non inverting gain stage - twin t filter - inverting gain stage - LP filter on toggle - output
indy already answered your question about the schem sorry im not sharing this one =P get your self a wampler triple wreck its one hell of a distortion box you wont regret it...
euronymous0001
Breadboard Brother
 
Posts: 87
Joined: 26 Jun 2010, 04:11
Has thanked: 19 times
Have thanks: 29 times

Re: Wampler -Triple Wreck-

Postby DimebuGG » 21 Jan 2011, 05:16

first try...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Finch: A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire
Stifler: Suck my dick - Ron Jeremy

For this message the author DimebuGG has received thanks: 5
Desdog (20 Mar 2015, 18:35), dorothegreat (21 Jan 2011, 09:37), modman (01 Jun 2015, 20:51), MoonWatcher (22 Jan 2011, 14:30), sinner (23 Jan 2011, 14:51)
User avatar
DimebuGG
Solder Soldier
 
Posts: 210
Joined: 02 Sep 2008, 12:37
Location: Doha, Qatar
Has thanked: 8 times
Have thanks: 160 times

Re: Wampler -Triple Wreck-

Postby DimebuGG » 21 Jan 2011, 05:19

feel free to correct... :D
Finch: A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire
Stifler: Suck my dick - Ron Jeremy
User avatar
DimebuGG
Solder Soldier
 
Posts: 210
Joined: 02 Sep 2008, 12:37
Location: Doha, Qatar
Has thanked: 8 times
Have thanks: 160 times

Re: Wampler -Triple Wreck-

Postby TheLemon » 21 Jan 2011, 05:40

DimebuGG wrote:feel free to correct... :D


I always appreciate when people take words and already gathered ideas and try to put them into a schematic.. I didn't get to much feedback when I put a schematic of the "Boost" and "Tone" controls for the TIM pedal out there (Which happened to turn out great) but I'll be the first one to say good job for taking the time to work on a basic schematic.. All we need at this time is a confirmation and some component values..
TheLemon
Breadboard Brother
 
Posts: 100
Joined: 15 Oct 2008, 04:55
Has thanked: 9 times
Have thanks: 21 times

Re: Wampler -Triple Wreck-

Postby caspercody » 21 Jan 2011, 18:36

Thanks DimebuGG!!

I got an email back from plugzzzz about getting his schematic, and he does not want to share. To bad, but I still want to see if we can get a schematic for this pedal.

Thanks
Rob
caspercody
Solder Soldier
 
Posts: 239
Joined: 15 Jul 2009, 15:34
Has thanked: 29 times
Have thanks: 37 times

Re: Wampler -Triple Wreck-

Postby DimebuGG » 22 Jan 2011, 07:39

caspercody wrote:Thanks DimebuGG!!

I got an email back from plugzzzz about getting his schematic, and he does not want to share. To bad, but I still want to see if we can get a schematic for this pedal.

Thanks
Rob


Don't thank me yet, it's not even final nor correct. Forget about the schem from the other guy. It might hurt his "clone" sales upon sharing the schematic.
Finch: A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire
Stifler: Suck my dick - Ron Jeremy
User avatar
DimebuGG
Solder Soldier
 
Posts: 210
Joined: 02 Sep 2008, 12:37
Location: Doha, Qatar
Has thanked: 8 times
Have thanks: 160 times

Re: Wampler -Triple Wreck-

Postby RnFR » 22 Jan 2011, 10:09

DimebuGG wrote:
caspercody wrote:Thanks DimebuGG!!

I got an email back from plugzzzz about getting his schematic, and he does not want to share. To bad, but I still want to see if we can get a schematic for this pedal.

Thanks
Rob


Don't thank me yet, it's not even final nor correct. Forget about the schem from the other guy. It might hurt his "clone" sales upon sharing the schematic.

yeah, as if anyone here would actually buy one of his clones. :roll:
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO
User avatar
RnFR
Old Solderhand
 
Posts: 5138
Joined: 09 Jan 2008, 07:02
Location: Inner Earth
Has thanked: 150 times
Have thanks: 174 times

PreviousNext

Return to Boutique Stompboxes dissected...

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: flegs, illus1on7 and 10 guests