Wampler - Triple Wreck  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
caspercody
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by caspercody »

Sikor,
Thanks for getting back about the underside picture. Is there any way to get cap values? Maybe start at top left work your way down, then start at top middle work your way down......?

Thanks
Rob

tuemmueh
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by tuemmueh »

You shouldn't need to desolder anything, just remove the poti-nuts and maybe the dc-nut and remove the board. That's the advantage of pcb-mounted pots and wired switches and jacks!

Sikor
Information

Post by Sikor »

caspercody wrote:Sikor,
Thanks for getting back about the underside picture. Is there any way to get cap values? Maybe start at top left work your way down, then start at top middle work your way down......?

Thanks
Rob
Ok I'll try to read component values.
But having 2 young sons: (2y and 6m) I do not have really any time for even playing guitar :cry:
So, please do not expect that right away, but I'll try to do it in a reasonable future :wink:
Practice cures most tone issues - John Suhr
--
My Musikmesse 2012 gallery and more...

DimebuGG
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by DimebuGG »

quaternotetriplet wrote::applause:
Thanks!!
Bro, why won't you let your mate plugzzzz chime in here to provide the schematic?. :thumbsup
Calling plugzzzz, shed some light man.. :D
Finch: A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire
Stifler: Suck my dick - Ron Jeremy

plugzzzz
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by plugzzzz »

DimebuGG wrote:
Thanks!!
Bro, why won't you let your mate plugzzzz chime in here to provide the schematic?. :thumbsup
indyguitarist wrote:I'll save ya some trouble.
All IC based except for the boost stage, which is a npn boost into a big muff style control (cream/crunch). The boost hit's the front end of the distortion circuit.

input - buffer - 1st gain stage similar to guv'nor - inverting gain stage - diodes to ground - non inverting gain stage with diode soft clipping - baxandall - non inverting gain stage - twin t filter - inverting gain stage - LP filter on toggle - output
indy already answered your question about the schem sorry im not sharing this one =P get your self a wampler triple wreck its one hell of a distortion box you wont regret it...

MoonWatcher
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by MoonWatcher »

C’mon now – where’s the spirit in that?

Going back to the original pic, there are already some visual clues.

In the lower RH corner, the mid supply rail is clearly displayed - where it sez 4.5V. You can then trace that around the board to the different resistors, and note their value(s), which will give you a good idea as to which pin they terminate at.

In the lower LH corner, you can clearly see the "out" terminal, and can trace it back a resistor or two.

I'd have to guess that all of the big caps are 1uF, which either puts them on the output of an op amp stage, or typically as part of a high pass filter. The inverting stages won't require it.

The bass pot is reverse log, which will give you an idea as to how it is wired up.

Smaller valued caps (once we know their values) will be in the negative feedback loops. Also look for resistors with values like 470K/560K/680K/1M that will connect to them.

There are 5 clipping diodes. Chances are a pair of them shunt to ground, and the other 3 are in a negative feedback loop.

Whenever you have a noninverting feeding into an inverting stage, you need a coupling cap - those should be pretty easy to decipher, as well.

I'll repeat what I said about redundancy/mirroring with cap/resistor values in a Baxandall or twin T - look for caps and resistors that are in pairs, or with a value halved/doubled.

If there truly are "verbatim" elements of a Guv'nor circuit, you should see some 220nF couplers, a 680K resistor in an inverted neg feedback loop, etc.

Based on all of that, along with what Brian has told us, can probably get you most of the way to the finish line. What we need at this point are cap values for everything that is not (presumably) 1uF. Also a little initiative with giving a rundown of the resistor values will allow most of the dots to be connected. Sometime between now and then, maybe someone might pop the board out of theirs if we need to get the last 5-10% of the way there.

Mugshot
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Mugshot »

got links of sound clips from those who have built this already?
signatures are for the weak.
FiveseveN wrote:
considering the low quality of the transistors and caps
Are Asian electrons inferior to American electrons?

newly
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by newly »

may i know what is the closest thing i can do to achieve the BLUE channel of TRIPLE WRECK? I don't need the boost.
Please advise.

seedseed
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by seedseed »

Hi everyone,

I've read this thread through and had a good look at the pics has anyone actually managed to work the schematic out for this one i'd love to have a crack at putting one together if anyone has anything can they let me know know iam happy to help thanks.

okgb
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by okgb »

Let me think about buying one .............
Nah , the reputation is not that compelling

It's just fun to see how things are done

theItalianDiYer
Information

Post by theItalianDiYer »

look at this......it seems that someone has cloned the triple wreck!!
http://talk.philmusic.com/board/index.p ... 742.0.html

indyguitarist
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by indyguitarist »

theItalianDiYer wrote:look at this......it seems that someone has cloned the triple wreck!!
http://talk.philmusic.com/board/index.p ... 742.0.html
I'd be curious to see the schem... from the sound of the video it sounds pretty damn close!!

theItalianDiYer
Information

Post by theItalianDiYer »

I registred myself a few months ago in that site.....but I haven't found nothing!!

euronymous0001
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by euronymous0001 »

theItalianDiYer wrote:I registred myself a few months ago in that site.....but I haven't found nothing!!
:secret: me thinks that he is not going to give the schematic anywhere
plugzzzz wrote:
DimebuGG wrote:
Thanks!!
indyguitarist wrote:I'll save ya some trouble.
All IC based except for the boost stage, which is a npn boost into a big muff style control (cream/crunch). The boost hit's the front end of the distortion circuit.

input - buffer - 1st gain stage similar to guv'nor - inverting gain stage - diodes to ground - non inverting gain stage with diode soft clipping - baxandall - non inverting gain stage - twin t filter - inverting gain stage - LP filter on toggle - output
indy already answered your question about the schem sorry im not sharing this one =P get your self a wampler triple wreck its one hell of a distortion box you wont regret it...

DimebuGG
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by DimebuGG »

first try...
Attachments
triple wreck.PNG
triple wreck.PNG (9.08 KiB) Viewed 3912 times

DimebuGG
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by DimebuGG »

feel free to correct... :D

TheLemon
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by TheLemon »

DimebuGG wrote:feel free to correct... :D
I always appreciate when people take words and already gathered ideas and try to put them into a schematic.. I didn't get to much feedback when I put a schematic of the "Boost" and "Tone" controls for the TIM pedal out there (Which happened to turn out great) but I'll be the first one to say good job for taking the time to work on a basic schematic.. All we need at this time is a confirmation and some component values..

caspercody
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by caspercody »

Thanks DimebuGG!!

I got an email back from plugzzzz about getting his schematic, and he does not want to share. To bad, but I still want to see if we can get a schematic for this pedal.

Thanks
Rob

DimebuGG
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by DimebuGG »

caspercody wrote:Thanks DimebuGG!!

I got an email back from plugzzzz about getting his schematic, and he does not want to share. To bad, but I still want to see if we can get a schematic for this pedal.

Thanks
Rob
Don't thank me yet, it's not even final nor correct. Forget about the schem from the other guy. It might hurt his "clone" sales upon sharing the schematic.

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

DimebuGG wrote:
caspercody wrote:Thanks DimebuGG!!

Thanks
Rob
Don't thank me yet, it's not even final nor correct. Forget about the schem from the other guy. It might hurt his "clone" sales upon sharing the schematic.
yeah, as if anyone here would actually buy one of his clones. :roll:
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO