Barber Electronics - Tone Press  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

Here is the:

haarguitars.nl/test/Merken/Barber/tone%20press.jpg
.haarguitars.nl/test/Merken/Barber/tone%20press%20inside.jpg

analogguru
There´s a sucker born every minute - and too many of them end up in the bootweak pedal biz.

invictus
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by invictus »

thanks for these great stuff. :D

markm
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by markm »

AG, what comp circuit is the based from?
Do you thinks it's a modded Dyna?

brightboy
Information

Post by brightboy »

Here's an even larger gut shot:

That was part of this review:

http://www.in2guitar.com/press.html

Cheers,

Brightboy

indyguitarist
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by indyguitarist »

Just for the record ( :D )
Dave (Barber) is one of the nicest guys you'll ever talk to. I don't see HOW in the world he makes a living building such great pedals at such a low price, but IMO if you have an inclination to own one, buy it - it's worth it! :)

With that said, Dave posted on TGP (IIRC) that it is indeed the ross type circuit with an additional inverting opamp stage on the end. My gut says it probably is a blending circuit very very similar to the sparkledrive, especially since the blend is a dual pot.

I should also note that I'm getting ready to release a compressor with a clean blend that is similar but a different blend circuit and I'm putting a high boost stage on the end. If you get a chance, give it a try - it's good tones!

Brian

teller
Information

Post by teller »

indyguitarist wrote:Just for the record ( :D )
Dave (Barber) is one of the nicest guys you'll ever talk to. I don't see HOW in the world he makes a living building such great pedals at such a low price, but IMO if you have an inclination to own one, buy it - it's worth it! :)

With that said, Dave posted on TGP (IIRC) that it is indeed the ross type circuit with an additional inverting opamp stage on the end. My gut says it probably is a blending circuit very very similar to the sparkledrive, especially since the blend is a dual pot.

I should also note that I'm getting ready to release a compressor with a clean blend that is similar but a different blend circuit and I'm putting a high boost stage on the end. If you get a chance, give it a try - it's good tones!

Brian
Looking at that picture, there is just the OTA and no op-amp, Barber site says FETs are handling the dry and blend, but it could be anything! :)

indyguitarist
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by indyguitarist »

teller wrote:
indyguitarist wrote:Just for the record ( :D )

Brian
Looking at that picture, there is just the OTA and no op-amp, Barber site says FETs are handling the dry and blend, but it could be anything! :)
very well could be - I was just basing my post off of one that Dave posted a while back on a forum. It actually may have been diystompboxes.com that posted at, I don't recall.

I know the one I'm working on is a ross type circuit with an inverting opamp stage that mixes the cleans similar to the sparkledrive. After that is a tonestack that is a little similar to the tubescreamer tonestack, except it is a 25k pot, lugs 1 and 3 connecting to pins 1 and 2 on the opamp, lug 2 on the pot connects to a .0047uf.

I don't think barber has the same thing going on, but the function is probably similar minus the tonestack.
bw

teller
Information

Post by teller »

I hear ya, I know how forums can be, so easy to misunderstand something..not to mention trying to remember who said what. :D

I

OrionManMatt
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: AC30
Completed builds: BB Preamp, volume pedals, tap tempo boxes, etc.

Post by OrionManMatt »

Any current news on this?

I was pretty intrigued by the ability to mix in the clean signal (well, and the price, too). I guess my main issue with the pedal is that it seems to raise the noise floor as your note decays. So the sound is pristine until you let a note sustain and the hiss rises up to meet you, which is fine if you're not looking for it to act as a sustainer. Any thoughts on why that is and how to potentially correct it?

indyguitarist
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by indyguitarist »

OrionManMatt wrote:Any current news on this?

I was pretty intrigued by the ability to mix in the clean signal (well, and the price, too). I guess my main issue with the pedal is that it seems to raise the noise floor as your note decays. So the sound is pristine until you let a note sustain and the hiss rises up to meet you, which is fine if you're not looking for it to act as a sustainer. Any thoughts on why that is and how to potentially correct it?
That's *any* pedal compressor. Everything gets boosted along with the signal, including any background hiss.

https://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/ ... #msg498993

https://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/ ... #msg478966

https://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/ ... #msg470309

3 posts from the man himself, mark hammer, about it.
bw

OrionManMatt
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: AC30
Completed builds: BB Preamp, volume pedals, tap tempo boxes, etc.

Post by OrionManMatt »

And who is this Mark guy? :wink: I've actually been looking at his Tangerine Peeler, some OS clones, and trying to think about applying the clean mix of the Barber Tone Press, et al.

Thanks for reminding me of that point. I suppose the very thing that is so nice about the Barber is what makes me forget for a second what the pedal is. Or something like that. Not sure I can quite elucidate what thought is going through my head right now, but it's certainly one that's making me say "D'oh."

Great stuff, Indy.

Zztop128
Information

Post by Zztop128 »

Hi

Does anyone has the schematic and/or layout from this pedal?

Thanks

B.

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

Is it really so hard to use the search-button before starting a new topic concerning the same pedal ?

analogguru
There´s a sucker born every minute - and too many of them end up in the bootweak pedal biz.

Seljetnoma
Information

Post by Seljetnoma »

Is that a 3080 inside the tonepress?
I found an other gutshot....
dodoaudrin.com.br/loja/popup_extra_images.php?peiID=21&lau_custid=tgbms8ric5mflqsjhgq5kl5704

Frank

selectortone
Information

Post by selectortone »

The BYOC Dynacomp/Ross kit has a blend control. It also has Tone and Attack controls. It's a very nice sounding and versatile pedal.

oneleg
Information

Post by oneleg »

DOES ANYONE KNOW barber tone press Schematics?

Seljetnoma
Information

Post by Seljetnoma »

Can anyone send me or post the schematic of the tone-press if it's still available?
Thanks a lot.

F

The Rotagilla
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by The Rotagilla »

oneleg wrote:schematic......
Was this a request or an offering? Did I miss it? :scratch:
The television will not be revolutionized.

briggs
Tube Twister
Information
my favorite amplifier: Briggs Custom Suprono
Completed builds: Too many to still class myself as sane....

Post by briggs »

It's an OTA - read the last page. The general set up looks to be a ross compressor style circuit with a clean blend function.

I am Klon.

madbean
Information

Post by madbean »

Any chance we could get some pics from you?