Where to get components and parts?

Ok, you got your soldering iron and nothing is going to hold you back, but you have no clue where to start or what to build. There were others before you with the same questions... read them first.
Tonetweaker
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Tonetweaker »

Hey all...

I didn't see a thread like this (searching for "components" was not a good idea... :lol: ), so I thought I would start one as I'm sure I'm not the only newbie here basically starting from scratch... Please forgive me if I'm duplicating threads.

As I mentioned in my introduction, I built a few pedals many years ago, but haven't really done anything major in quite some time.

Since I am jumping into this with both feet (as I tend to do with things like this), I though I'd ask for everyone's advice about finding the best places to purchase components and parts in bulk to build up a stockpile of basic components. I have all the basic electronics gear and soldering equipment required, but I don't really have anything on-hand to build with. Obviously, I could buy components in ones and twos as needed for individual projects, but that seems like a fairly expensive proposition, especially since I'm sure I'll end up building many of the projects mentioned here.

Are there any good vendors out there that sell reasonably priced "grab bags" of basic components (resistors, caps, transistors, diodes, switches, jacks, boards, wiring, etc., etc.)??

Also, what about vintage components? I recently got hooked on the idea of building a vintage Arbiter Fuzz Face as a starter project and ordered a few of the replica boards from eBay, but I realize that finding period correct components (aka ~ with mojo) may be quite a challenge? Are there any specific vendors that specialize in those types of components?

How about solid enclosures? Any vendors out there selling good ones at a reasonably low price?

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Cheers...
Steve
In Soviet Russia, dirt box fucks YOU!! ~ Seiche

.Mike
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by .Mike »

Hi Steve,
  • Futurlec - Great prices on many items, specifically PCB mount, knurled shaft pots. Good capacitor grab bags (electrolytic, film, and ceramic) and diode grab bags. Nice machined DIP sockets. Good, cheap metal film resistors, photocells. Knobs are hit-or-miss. LEDs aren't very good. Shipping time 2-4 weeks to the US from Asia.
  • Tayda - Also great prices on many items. Cheaper on pots than Futurlec, but shipping can add up. Ridiculously cheap on many items, including PT2399 Echo ICs. Also long shipping times from Asia. Occasional coupon codes. Excellent service.
  • Smallbear - Specifically geared towards building effects. Lots of great stuff, including analog BBDs, tested/measured Ge transistors, vactrols, and more. A one stop shop, but sometimes better prices can be had on some items by ordering elsewhere. Fairly quick shipping from NY.
  • Pedal Parts Plus - A limited selection of parts. Good prices on 3PDT stomp switches, but they really shine in terms of enclosures. Nice powder-coated enclosures in tons of colors for cheap. Fast, reasonably-priced shipping from Louisiana (I think).
  • Mouser - Excellent source for lots of stuff. The go-to supplier when buying new production items in bulk. Millions of items. Catalog can be overwhelming. Reasonable, fast shipping from TX.
  • Newark, Digi-Key - Similar to Mouser. Millions of items. Reasonable, fast shipping from the US.
  • ABCFAB - Excellent copper-clad PCB material at excellent prices, with cheap/free shipping from the US.
  • Mike Maddux - Good prices on a limited selection. Good guy to do business with. Great prices on 3PDT stomp switches and quality bare enclosures. Reasonable shipping.
  • Mammoth - Newcomer to the parts game. Enclosures, and various assorted parts.
Welcome! :)

Mike
My website: America's Debate | My effects site: Just one more build...

Tonetweaker
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Tonetweaker »

Awesome, Mike!

I was aware of Mouser and Small Bear, but I didn't know about the other sites you listed. I will definitely be hitting them up to build up a basic stockpile of parts. I appreciate the help... :thumbsup

Cheers...
Steve

PS ~ If anyone knows of any sites or vendors that carry vintage parts for classic rebuilds, please let me know. Thanks!
In Soviet Russia, dirt box fucks YOU!! ~ Seiche

LooseCannon
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by LooseCannon »

Thanks for the detailed list Mike!

I'm new to building as well, and was also trying to decide where to buy components.

I decided on pedalpartsplus because as mike mentioned they sell finished drilled enclosures, and I didn't wanna mess with finishing\drilling myself. It's also very easy to find everything there because of their organized website and limited selection, but that also means they might not have everything you need. But compared to Mouser with their millions of items it's much easier for a beginner like myself.

LooseCannon
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by LooseCannon »

I just checked out the Mammoth website, they also sell finished\drilled enclosures. Might be a good alternative to pedalpartsplus.

bigmufffuzzwizz
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: 1973 Sunn Model T

Post by bigmufffuzzwizz »

Great rundown of parts stores Mike!! Those are the main guys! I like futurlec's stock so much and prices are the best but they just take so damn long to ship :x
Magic Pedals Home of The Shrine Fuzz!

xaxxop
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: Gallien Krueger 400RB
Completed builds: DIY: Boss ce-2, EH big muff, MXR microamp, DOD FX25, Stingray Preamp

Post by xaxxop »

Where to get components and parts in the uk? I've just moved to Scotland. thank you
Leandro

Lucifer
Cap Cooler
Information
my favorite amplifier: Vyse BBQ Blue

Post by Lucifer »

xaxxop wrote:Where to get components and parts in the uk?
You could do a web search for ‘components’ - and it would probably show you the main suppliers (in the UK), such as RS, Farnell, CPD (a branch of Farnell), Rapid Electronics, Maplin, etc, as well as the many smaller suppliers that spring up all over the place. Personally, I find Rapid to be reasonably priced with excellent service. But they don’t have every component that you might need, so I also use Banzai in Germany (can be a bit expensive, and usually deliver within a couple of weeks).

eBay is also a good place to look. Sometimes it’s individuals offering stuff, and sometimes it’s companies (usually in the far east) such as Tayda (mentioned by someone else).

It takes a while to build up a decent stock, so do comparisons between the different suppliers to see which suits your pocket.

Most of all, have fun.
”Sex is great - but you can’t beat the real thing !” - The Wanker’s Handbook

xaxxop
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: Gallien Krueger 400RB
Completed builds: DIY: Boss ce-2, EH big muff, MXR microamp, DOD FX25, Stingray Preamp

Post by xaxxop »

thank you very much for the info :thumbsup
Leandro

colm
Information

Post by colm »

I use Farnell, very quick delivery

gonna order from here soon, they have a nice selection http://www.musikding.de/