Where's the EDIT button?

Have a look here for general information about the forum, rules and announcements.
DimebuGG
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by DimebuGG »

:?: :?: :?: :?:
Finch: A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire
Stifler: Suck my dick - Ron Jeremy

Hides-His-Eyes
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Hides-His-Eyes »

It only stays for a short time for typos etc.

I think it would be better if there was one; I'm always concerned about wanting to remove an unverified layout or schem with a mistake and having to rely on a mod to remove it...
Testing, testing, won too fwee

billonious
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by billonious »

it should be an "edit" button to fix posts. A "don't panic" button could be usefull too :D

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

if you need a schematic or layout deleted, a mod will gladly do it for you. if it's anything else, just think hard about what you post before you hit the button. it's not the end of the world if you have to put up another post. especially considering the potential mess that could happen when the frequent arguments pop up. it's been the policy of the forum since day one, I seriously doubt its going to change any time soon.

another thing you could do, is post unverified layouts with a site like photobucket, so you can easily remove them, then attach them to forum once they are verified.
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

plesur
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by plesur »

You can delete attachments using the control panel long after they've been posted. Got to 'User Control Panel' > 'Manage attachments'. I did this to remove an incorrect schematic.

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

plesur wrote:You can delete attachments using the control panel long after they've been posted. Got to 'User Control Panel' > 'Manage attachments'. I did this to remove an incorrect schematic.
Damn I didn't even know this - thanks so much your feedback. Over the course of the last 3,5y the site was online, we had some people go crazy and delete their former contributions. Editing messages was therefore disabled to avoid this.

modman
Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal

Harold
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Harold »

modman wrote:
plesur wrote:You can delete attachments using the control panel long after they've been posted. Got to 'User Control Panel' > 'Manage attachments'. I did this to remove an incorrect schematic.
Damn I didn't even know this - thanks so much your feedback. Over the course of the last 3,5y the site was online, we had some people go crazy and delete their former contributions. Editing messages was therefore disabled to avoid this.

modman
Isn't "delete" a separate permission? It's really annoying to not be able to edit your posts ...
DIY-Layout.com: Online stripboard layouts

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

Perhaps, but then people could still go back and "edit" their contributions by deleting the contents of their posts.
modman wrote: Let's hope it's not a hit, because soldering up the same pedal everyday, is a sad life. It's that same ole devilish double bind again...

Harold
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Harold »

Nocentelli wrote:Perhaps, but then people could still go back and "edit" their contributions by deleting the contents of their posts.
True, that's why there's probably an option to disable editing after "X" hours. Not being able to edit anything after you submit your post is just weird.

Edit: didn't realise this part of the forum is editable!!! :applause:

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: my jansen bassman 50
Completed builds: rebote 2.5; supreaux; odie; heartthrob tremolo; ross phaser; dr. boogey; thor; baja black toast; slow gear attack, rebote, tri-vibe, small clone, little angel, magnus modulus, echo base, hex fuzz, big muff, 22/7.

Post by rocklander »

Harold wrote:
Nocentelli wrote:Perhaps, but then people could still go back and "edit" their contributions by deleting the contents of their posts.
True, that's why there's probably an option to disable editing after "X" hours. Not being able to edit anything after you submit your post is just weird.

Edit: didn't realise this part of the forum is editable!!! :applause:
it's not a specific 'part' .. as said.. it's for a short period of time.. enough to catch typos, perhaps not enough to think better of the things said and wish to retract :lol:
world's greatest tautologist ...in the world
Ronsonic wrote:...the lower the stakes the more vicious the combat.

Harold
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Harold »

rocklander wrote:it's not a specific 'part' .. as said.. it's for a short period of time.. enough to catch typos, perhaps not enough to think better of the things said and wish to retract :lol:
Just tested it: I can't edit this post, even if it's only seconds old ... :hmmm:

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: my jansen bassman 50
Completed builds: rebote 2.5; supreaux; odie; heartthrob tremolo; ross phaser; dr. boogey; thor; baja black toast; slow gear attack, rebote, tri-vibe, small clone, little angel, magnus modulus, echo base, hex fuzz, big muff, 22/7.

Post by rocklander »

weird.. guess I'm wrong then.. modman should be able to ID which forums have edit and for which time....
world's greatest tautologist ...in the world
Ronsonic wrote:...the lower the stakes the more vicious the combat.

phibes
Transistor Tuner
Information
my favorite amplifier: HIWATT motherfucker!

Post by phibes »

EDIT button is for pussies. Can you imagine how many epic arguments would have been altered if people could go back and edit their own posts. It'd be an epic shitfest, everyone would look like a genius.
GuitarlCarl - "TGP = The Gear Polishers"

Image Ken