Top Gear - Flanger

Discussion regarding early stompbox technology: 1960-1975 Please keep discussion focused and contribute what info you have...
nightraven
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by nightraven »

picked this one up off eBay for real cheap. don't know how it sounds yet because i need to get the battery snap replaced but in the meantime maybe this is of interest to some people:

it sure as hell looks cool!
https://fuzzboxes.org | authoritative and clickbait-free resource for 1960s fuzz pedals

Greenmachine
Cap Cooler
Information
my favorite amplifier: Fender Blackface Deluxe Reverb
Completed builds: Electra Distortion
Roger Mayer Octavia
Klon Centaur (Bajaman/Soulsonic)
DOD 440 Envelope Filter
MXR Phase 90
DOD FET Preamp
Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face
Soulsonic Hunny Bunny Overdrive
BYOC Analog Delay
Craig Anderton Headphone Amp
Anderton Mini Amp
Bajaman Real Tube Overdrive
Fender Deluxe 5E3 with Tone Stack Mod.
Fender Princeton 5F2-a
Keen Neovibe
Aquapuss Delay
Anderton AMS-100 Guitar Synth (abandoned)
DOD 280 Compressor
Weird Sound Generator
Beavis Audio Noisy Cricket
80's Rat
ROG Thor
Big Muff
Green Ringer
Shin-Ei Fuzz
MXR Dynacomp
COT50
Really Cheap Compressor

Post by Greenmachine »

What an awesome looking pedal. Thanks for the pics.
"[Y]ou want sketchy, dude? I breadboard on a door." -- RnFR, 2011
"This amp is freakin loud, like crazy, I'm going to kill pets loud." -- mich, 2011

borislavgajic
Opamp Operator
Information
Completed builds: ...script phase90,ETI phaser,Ross phaser,mutronC200,vox wah,WH10,FW-3,mutronIII,DrQuack,Penfoldautowah,Tubezipper,
Dipthonizer,seekwah,Talkingpedal,morleywha
...soulpreacher,dynacomp,compulator
...buzzaround,fuzzfactory,screwdriver,sho,superdouper,St-9,RogerMayer octavia,Tychobrahe octavia,paralelluniverse,string damper,slowgear
...CE-2,ibanez fL301,EH theCloneTheory
EHX bassmicrosynth,EHX EnglishMuffin,Tube Phaser,springtubereverb ,greyDOD,FulldriveII mosfet,OCD,VOX repeat percussion,RingStinger,Meatball,12stage phaser....

Post by borislavgajic »

that is great find!!!!

cheers

Boris

candletears7
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by candletears7 »

That is awesome. I love it! Bet it sounds nice and fat.

nightraven
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by nightraven »

more pics as per request:

i'm getting the battery snap replaced on monday so we will see how it sounds then (the seller told me the pedal worked other than a bunch of crackling pots, not sure how he tested it but time will tell!)
https://fuzzboxes.org | authoritative and clickbait-free resource for 1960s fuzz pedals

borislavgajic
Opamp Operator
Information
Completed builds: ...script phase90,ETI phaser,Ross phaser,mutronC200,vox wah,WH10,FW-3,mutronIII,DrQuack,Penfoldautowah,Tubezipper,
...buzzaround,fuzzfactory,screwdriver,sho,superdouper,St-9,RogerMayer octavia,Tychobrahe octavia,paralelluniverse,string damper,slowgear
EHX bassmicrosynth,EHX EnglishMuffin,Tube Phaser,springtubereverb ,greyDOD,FulldriveII mosfet,OCD,VOX repeat percussion,RingStinger,Meatball,12stage phaser....

Post by borislavgajic »

how does it sounds???

some video demmo please???
:thumbsup

nightraven
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by nightraven »

i wish i knew -- it's still dead :(
i had the BBD checked out and that is still fine. the effected signal sounds the same as the bypassed signal but it's just a lot brighter. i've messed around with the trimpots and they don't do anything. neither do the main controls. any ideas?

borislavgajic
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by borislavgajic »

Try to change socketed IC/s 4011,and other one....seems like LFO is not getting to BBD.....

if that does not work, you can always send it to me...or sell it to me :wink:

Boris

nightraven
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by nightraven »

i'll go to the electronics shop next week to pick up replacements of the socketed IC's. a guy on another forum said that it could be a bad capacitor. how can i check them without taking them out of the pedal though? i have a digital multimeter.
thanks for the offer boris but if it comes to sending the pedal to a pro i'd rather keep it within the UK. serbia is far away :( i'm not planning on selling it though, sorry! at least not at the moment

borislavgajic
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by borislavgajic »

nightraven wrote:i'll go to the electronics shop next week to pick up replacements of the socketed IC's. a guy on another forum said that it could be a bad capacitor. how can i check them without taking them out of the pedal though? i have a digital multimeter.
thanks for the offer boris but if it comes to sending the pedal to a pro i'd rather keep it within the UK. serbia is far away :( i'm not planning on selling it though, sorry! at least not at the moment
I was joking a little.........but one day if you decide to sell, would be nice to tell me :block:
I think that first you replace those two....4011 and 4013........after that we will see.......it is lfo problem if you get audio through pedal.......all 3 pots are for controlling lfo.........

take it slow.....or take to proffesional repair.......that pedal deserve best treatment........I can suggest mictester,or DirkHendrik......... :thumbsup

cheers
and hope for demmo ....soon :thumbsup

Boris

nightraven
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by nightraven »

Dirk Hendrik fixed a flanger for me before actually, but we had a small falling out on another forum a while ago so i don't know if he'll want to help me again...
if changing the IC's doesn't work i'll send him a mail. he fixed that other pedal for me very quickly and his price was very reasonable :)

Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Dirk_Hendrik »

???
can't be that bad ;) Drop me a line.
Sorry. Plain out of planes.

http://www.dirk-hendrik.com

Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Dirk_Hendrik »

It's on my bench now. Questions? Ask while still open. Nightraven saved me the trouble of making pics already.

borislavgajic
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by borislavgajic »

Dirk_Hendrik wrote:It's on my bench now. Questions? Ask while still open. Nightraven saved me the trouble of making pics already.

can you post schematic with part values please?......I am interested in making PCB for this one but can not see all components :block:

and yes ....how does it sounds to you???
some demmo please?

thanks
Boris

Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Dirk_Hendrik »

Sounds fine.
As for the other stuff, you'll have to work together with nightraven in the future. I'd love to but I really lack the time for tracing since some 3 months.

nightraven
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by nightraven »

Dirk_Hendrik wrote:....
Sounds fine.
it's up and running? :D

Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Dirk_Hendrik »

Did not get to updating emails yet. It's in the mail already ;)

nightraven
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by nightraven »

damn you're quick!! check your emails now though ;)

mictester
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Mesa Boogie, Roost Sessionmaster, AC30
Completed builds: Hundreds! Mostly originals, a few clones and lots of modifications.

Post by mictester »

Dirk_Hendrik wrote:....
Sounds fine.
I had one of these a long time ago. It used to whistle at one part of its sweep. No matter what tweaks I made. In the end, it got a better output filter, and the whistle went (or was at least severely attenuated. I think I gave the thing away because I didn't like it.
"Why is it humming?" "Because it doesn't know the words!"

nightraven
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by nightraven »

mictester wrote:I had one of these a long time ago. It used to whistle at one part of its sweep. No matter what tweaks I made. In the end, it got a better output filter, and the whistle went (or was at least severely attenuated. I think I gave the thing away because I didn't like it.
so there is another one of these out there. unless the "wise old guitar player" who gave my Flanger to its previous owner was you! would be pretty cool :D