Bearfoot - Honey Bee  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
culturejam
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by culturejam »

I just noticed this from another Bearfoot thread at TGP:
Donner wrote:The Honey Bee has slightly evolved since its birth in 2002 and the BearFoot version is the latest and yes some will hear differences.

culturejam
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by culturejam »

I cleaned up the mess I started the other day. All of the Donner/rape commentary has been moved to the Catfight thread.

sinner
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by sinner »

culturejam wrote:I cleaned up the mess I started the other day. All of the Donner/rape commentary has been moved to the Catfight thread.
You've made me sad - I like rape

WhiteKeyHole
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by WhiteKeyHole »

I'm not seeing why increasing C4 would lead to any difference, the corner frequency is already suitably below the lowest note on a guitar.

:scratch:

WhiteKeyHole
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by WhiteKeyHole »

Probably down to part tolerances placing the corner frequency higher than the ideal value. A 4u7 would be enough to cover that.

atreidesheir
Diode Debunker
Information
my favorite amplifier: thd univalve

Post by atreidesheir »

Whoismarykelly wrote: from Donner:

"Yes there is a whole team on this. If it was just me I wouldn't even be as fast as BJ so that wouldnt be much help .... St. Louis, among other things, is an old industrial town and I found some professional assemblers that used to do F16 and F18 avionics for McDonnell Douglass among other things and they can bring in more people if needed and they are top shelf and milspec...... my paint helper restores vintage automobiles and the lettering is done by a guy that also does lithographing and magazine layouts.
I will do some parts selection on some of the secret stuff BJ needed to share to get them 'right', and Ill be doing custom finishes later on and things like that, but for the most part I have professionals doing what they do best and I hope we can keep up with most of the demand and avoid long waits or lists ..."
Interesting. I did not realize they used glitter glue in vintage automobile restoration. I also will sleep better knowing our avionics technicians have something to fall back on. And there are more waiting for Donner's call.
Should I feel special because I know Bjorn's proprietary technology and trade secrets.
I hope the McDonnell Douglass people kept their security clearances to work in that high pressure environment.
"Contemplate it - on the tree of woe." :Thulsa Doom

noelgrassy
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: MOTS Magnatone & Trainwreck
Completed builds: Tonebender Mk II w/ 3 OC75's, Burns BuzzAround w/NKT 275,Rangemaster w/ OC44, Fuzz Face w/ SKS363's, CJOD, Harmonic Percolator w/2N404A & 2N3635(vintage correct box,sliding pots, 1%glass resistors),Stack-O-Dimes & Whipple Wahs,

Post by noelgrassy »

What's down right laughable is Donner referring to his self-informed paint slinging as anything resembling actual
painting! I have some of his work and it is appallingly garish and devoid of any skill beyond a familiarity with poster
paint applied by a toddler's fist. :slap:
Not to diminish Donner's rise to fame but Bjorn's coat tails must be threadbare from hauling this hump over the fjords :hug:
I hope this doesn't come off as "bashing" or worse. I really just wanted to express a personal & subjective observation with a hint of detached vehemence.
Just saying I'm not going to lose any sleep worrying about a slander or libel lawsuit
from Donner's team of solicitors. My "Donner box" shall be submitted as irrefutable evidence to which I speak. :blackeye

Peace and Hair Grease,
Noel Grassy. :hug:
Copyright does not protect facts, ideas, systems, or methods of operation, although it may protect the way these things are expressed. US Copyright Office

Lonkero
Solder Soldier
Information
my favorite amplifier: Tech 21 trademark 10

Post by Lonkero »

I built Honey Bee clone based on madbeans yellow shark for a friend. In my opinion it's tone is over middey, sounds a bit like like tons of bees buzzing around you, soulless and very very dark. I cannot understand why anyone would wanna ruin their tone with that.

But if you wanna search something good out of it, at least it's not a some usual tone.

My tip for anyone planning to build it is to test it on solderless breadboard before putting it together.

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

Where did the schematic go that the whole thread is referencing?
Please repost if you've got it.
Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal

TheLemon
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by TheLemon »

hbschematic.jpg

Seiche
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Seiche »

so can someone summarize the differences between the bearfoot and the bjfe version one more time, as this thread has been butchered since ibodog has left the building. :|

WhiteKeyHole
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by WhiteKeyHole »

WhiteKeyHole wrote:Reference is "YellowShark_ver2.5" schematic.
C5: 220n with 4K7 in series

Seiche
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Seiche »

that's all? so i'd have to cut a trace on the pcb, right?

what's with this plexi/tweed sound thing on the top schematic?

WhiteKeyHole
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by WhiteKeyHole »

Don't know why that schematic is in here.

You don't need to cut any traces. Take a lead from the resistor and a lead from the capacitor and twist/solder them together, then install the resulting component as normal, using the free leads.

mmolteratx
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by mmolteratx »

Did this double sided layout up for PCB mounted pots that will fit in a 1590B. I'm gonna just toss it in the Dorkbot group buy and figured others might want to do the same. So here are the Eagle files. All I request is absolutely no commercial use. No for profit cloning, period.

Schem: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8021347/HBOD.sch
Board: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8021347/HBOD.brd

mmolteratx
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by mmolteratx »

Well so much for those special parts they said were needed for it to sound right. I just got one in a trade and opened it up, all Xicon resistors and whatever box caps they could find at the usual DIY places. :lol: In their defense, build quality has increased. The board is stuffed neatly, it's secured to the enclosure and the spaghetti wiring has decreased a ton.

phibes
Transistor Tuner
Information
my favorite amplifier: HIWATT motherfucker!

Post by phibes »

I like that layout. How does the dorkbot thing workout? Did you get boards?
GuitarlCarl - "TGP = The Gear Polishers"

Image Ken

Seiche
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Seiche »

phibes wrote:I like that layout. How does the dorkbot thing workout? Did you get boards?
+1, any updates on that?

Seiche
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Seiche »

so is R9 47k or 147k/150k?

mmolteratx
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by mmolteratx »

Got 2 extra boards if anyone wants them. $11 shipped for one, $19 shipped for both.