Etching methods discussion (culled from anothe thread)

Frequently asked question on the subject of designing, creating, producing printed boards, veroboards or perfboads and on point-to-point construction techniques.
mich
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by mich »

Well after some crappy iron transfer on results, I have completely switched to uv boards. I use .32 traces and I think 25mil pads and I have no issues. Hand drill all the pad holes as well. I got a uv box from china off eBay and I have yet to have a f'd up board. Uv really is the way to go IMHO

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

yeah, man. that's what i hear. i think i might have to pull the trigger one of these days.
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

culturejam
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by culturejam »

RnFR wrote:yeah, man. that's what i hear. i think i might have to pull the trigger one of these days.
I started off doing UV boards, and they are indeed very precise. But I wanted to use muriatic acid so I could stop using ferric chloride. The problem is that muriatic slowly dissolves the UV resist, so it doesn't work out at all. :(

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

i can't stand that stuff. even if it's cheap, the fumes are intolerable. id rather pay a bit more, and get stains on my hands than breathe that shit in.
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

phibes
Transistor Tuner
Information
my favorite amplifier: HIWATT motherfucker!

Post by phibes »

Seriously, get a laminator and the Pulsar paper and foils. You can do the transfers while watching TV it's that easy. If your going to etch more than 10 boards it's worth the costs. The foils a bit tricky but easy once you get the hang of it. Also saves on etching. I pour about a shots worth of ferric cloride on a sponge and just wipe for a few minutes. I should probably get my ass moving on putting up a photo essay...
GuitarlCarl - "TGP = The Gear Polishers"

Image Ken

Chugs
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Chugs »

What is this laminator, Pulsar paper and foils technique you speak of? Sounds like something my girlfriend might let me do in the house. :mrgreen: She is adverse to the idea of me etching boards with "vats of chemicals", as she so eloquently puts it.

phibes
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by phibes »

I'll put a photo essay up in the FAQ section today. :thumbsup Gotta drink more coffee first.

Image Ken

Chugs
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Chugs »

Excellent. :applause:

Grendahl
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Grendahl »

Chugs,

I think that this is what he's talking about.

http://www.pcbfx.com/main_site/pages/di ... n_pcb.html
Resistance is futile...
( if < 1 ohm )

phibes
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by phibes »

Yeah that's it. Just cropped all the images in photoshop. Gonna do the write up now.

Image Ken

lolbou
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by lolbou »

culturejam wrote:The problem is that muriatic slowly dissolves the UV resist, so it doesn't work out at all.
You need to use sodium hydroxide (7 g/L) which is a base to dissolve the UV resist. Muriatic acid is, well, an acid, and won't do anything... Check my how-to! :wink: Though I need to correct some of the equations for the etching part (back then I missed one reactant, but I need some extra cinetics data)...
RnFR wrote:i can't stand that stuff. even if it's cheap, the fumes are intolerable.
Chugs wrote:Sounds like something my girlfriend might let me do in the house. :mrgreen: She is adverse to the idea of me etching boards with "vats of chemicals", as she so eloquently puts it.
I did it in my kitchen this winter (reactions are temperature dependant). No problem , no bad smell, no nothing).

1) Exposing is harmless. Only mind your eyes if needed.
2) Dissolving the UV resist is using diluted sodium hydroxide (0.175 mol/L). Don't drink it. Wear gloves. No need to panic. Until now, no gases whatsoever...
3) Use low quantities of HCl and H2O2 ( 5 mm deep is way enough) and open the window. Etching is fast (with concentrated peroxide). Leave the tank outside if you will, or pour it in a bucket of water to almost stop the reaction...
- Are you a mod or a rocker?
- Uh, no, I'm a mocker.

phibes
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by phibes »

Image Ken

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Self-Built Valve Amp Head :)
Completed builds: Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face,Tone Bender Professional Mk 3,Tone Bender 3-Knob,Baja BK Butler Tube Driver,Baja Real Tube Overdrive,Roger Mayer Octavia,EH Soul Preacher,Tech 21 XXL Distortion,MFOS Weird Sound Generator.

Post by DrNomis »

There's a better alternative to Ferric Chloride I've found, Ammonium Persulphate, when you mix it in warm water, the result is an almost clear solution, it doesn't stain your fingers, the fumes from it aren't as bad as from Ferric Chloride, or Muriatic Acid, and it's much easier to dispose of, on the bottle, it is classed as an Oxidizing Agent.... :D

It seems to do a pretty good job of etching boards, I'm waiting on Jaycar Electronics to get some more in stock.... :D
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.