No effect - Tonepad EA Tremolo

Forum dedicated to helping people debug and troubleshoot non-functional pedals or builds. Please use an clear and informative title, indicating circuit and basic problem. Don't forget to mark the issue as fixed if this is the case.
WCraigConrey
Information
my favorite amplifier: Vox AC15 CCX

Post by WCraigConrey »

Hello all,
I just buttoned up a build of the EA Trem as per Tonepads board and diagram. I ended up with good bypass, and, when engaged, the level control works as a clean boost. No tremolo effect is present. Running an audioprobe presented no trem throughout the audio path, HOWEVER, there is a slight and subtle trem effect near the end of note decay. I know this occurs naturally, but it varies with the rate of the speed pot. (?????!!!)
To the FSB policemen, I see that this has occured in the EA Trem done by ROG, but those problems were cornered to LED orientation problem. I have no LED yet, and it will serve only as status.

I used massive (100V) caps for the NP 1 uFs, would this possibly hinder the signal? Also, I substituted a 1.2K resistor for the 1K at speed lug 2 to center 1uF. I will later post a picture of the build. Thanks to all who reply! It's what makes the board so grand!

Reference site:
http://tonepad.com/getFile.asp?id=130

reneshelle
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by reneshelle »

Does the depth knob do anything? I would check that for starters.

The audiosignal gets passed, that means that the problem (most likely) is to be found in the "Q2/Q3" (non-audio) area of the circuit. Try probing around a bit there and see what you find

I'm no EE but I think that your caps should be fine.

WCraigConrey
Information

Post by WCraigConrey »

No, the depth knob does nothing. I have the Q2 FET and the Q3 tranny oriented like the parts layout picture on the website. I soldered them directly on the board without sockets. I wonder if I could have superheated them. Does anyone know about what voltages should be present?

reneshelle
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by reneshelle »

Try a new q2... I've never build one so I can't measure voltages...

check pinouts for the fet

WCraigConrey
Information

Post by WCraigConrey »

I have found two bad joints so far. The traces have been coming delaminating from the board as I've pulled components to replace "maybebads." It's time to etch a new board and try again later. Thanks Reneshelle for your ideas. This topic can be deleted.

andregarcia57
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by andregarcia57 »

I also made some changes to solve problem of speed 10 no effect;
Attachments
TREMOLO EA Mods ANDY.jpg