Important: boutique sections closed... DMCA kicks in.

Have a look here for general information about the forum, rules and announcements.
mictester
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Mesa Boogie, Roost Sessionmaster, AC30
Completed builds: Hundreds! Mostly originals, a few clones and lots of modifications.

Post by mictester »

RnFR wrote:apparently the first stage has to have temperature compensation. he still won't tell me at what temperature this becomes necessary, though.
A quick test, with a 2N2222 (not a bad choice for the first transistor in a Tonebender), showed that with sensible choices for the resistors, the collector voltage started to move at about 110 C.

Unless you're gigging on Venus, or boiling your gear in salt water as you play, there's little chance of attaining this kind of temperature in normal use.

Back in the days when I used to design amplifiers for accelerometers that had to work in paper mills at well over 100 C, I used to design silicon circuits with temperature compensation. I also design temperature compensation into my RF oscillator circuits. However, for audio frequencies, and at the normal human range of temperatures, any kind of compensation in a Tonebender is just plain stupid.
"Why is it humming?" "Because it doesn't know the words!"

oscarv77
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by oscarv77 »

juanro wrote:Hi teemuk,

I'm not affiliated with freestompboxes.org in any form (save by being a user), but I think you'll find my personal blog interesting:

http://ponelequehablode.blogspot.com/

Regards,
Juanro
tee hee :applause:

ddpawel
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: Marshall JCM800 2203

Post by ddpawel »

I'm not affiliated with freestompboxes.org in any form (save by being a user), but I think you'll find my personal blog interesting:

Regards,
Juanro
Very nice. I've got a bunch of Intersil CA3046's. Finally, I'll use them for something.

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

oscarv77 wrote:

Regards,
Juanro
tee hee :applause:
See, this is the most idiotic thing about Lance's actions (and Bill's, let's not forget): I know the Retro fuzz and Klon schematics are posted all over the net - When the boutique folder went, a quick google seacrh and a bit of trawling non-english websites got me the Retrofuzz schematic in minutes. They can't possibly hope to police the whole of the internet and issue DMCA take-downs from now on, can they? It's just a bit of bloody-mindedness on Lance's behalf because a couple of people on this site didn't swoon at his awesome circuit.
modman wrote: Let's hope it's not a hit, because soldering up the same pedal everyday, is a sad life. It's that same ole devilish double bind again...

juanro
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by juanro »

You see, I would love to see Lance send DMCA notices to Blogger (Google?)
In fact, I don't care for fuzzes in general and this implementation in particular, but now I somehow feel the urge to make a cause about this.

Juanro
La única verdad es la realidad.

Mugshot
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Mugshot »

he still hasnt answered why he used an array for his TONEBENDER DERIVATIVE, aside from vbe matching and consistent hfe ranges (sorry, i dont buy that temperature stabilization shit for a silicon device). but most importantly - and idk, maybe the obvious reason - was _____________. you fill in the blank. nothing more, nothing less.
signatures are for the weak.
FiveseveN wrote:
considering the low quality of the transistors and caps
Are Asian electrons inferior to American electrons?

juanro
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by juanro »

Well, the use of the transistor array is fine; the sales blurb & hype is fine; the "our fuzz is the best" is fine; the germanium and temperature references are shady (but technically "true", is a silicon tonebender, all right) but calling the IC "Proprietary Chip Set", or this: "Rxxxx Cxxxxx has developed a proprietary chipset that delivers pure MK2 fuzz tones without the use of germanium" is when they hit the curb, completed with start to throw shit everywhere over the fact that their fuzz is analized here.
Imagine this, instead: "This is our modern incarnation of the classic mk2, this is how it sounds, this is the price" Would that have sold less? I don't think so. Then it will be opened here, Lance passes by and says, "yeah pretty clever to use the 3046 right? also you can try this and that, and note the input stage biasing we were trying to mimic the input characteristics of a Ge transistor but with Si stability" would that have sold less? Hordes of RCTF clones flooding the market and driving them out of business? Again, don't think so.
Now they have been exposed as liars and worst - are engaged in this useless, virtual fight wich they can't win against a very motivated community.
But hey! This is a free world, anyone is entitled to be an asshole.

Juanro

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

mictester wrote:
RnFR wrote:apparently the first stage has to have temperature compensation. he still won't tell me at what temperature this becomes necessary, though.
A quick test, with a 2N2222 (not a bad choice for the first transistor in a Tonebender), showed that with sensible choices for the resistors, the collector voltage started to move at about 110 C.

Unless you're gigging on Venus, or boiling your gear in salt water as you play, there's little chance of attaining this kind of temperature in normal use.

Back in the days when I used to design amplifiers for accelerometers that had to work in paper mills at well over 100 C, I used to design silicon circuits with temperature compensation. I also design temperature compensation into my RF oscillator circuits. However, for audio frequencies, and at the normal human range of temperatures, any kind of compensation in a Tonebender is just plain stupid.
Finally an answer! alright, let's see here...110 degrees Celsius =

230F???? [/color] :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol: oh Lancey, you crack me up!!
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

dwstanford
Information

Post by dwstanford »

That was the heat index today in Memphis. Im sick of my transistors unbiasing right before they melt. :)

Greg
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Tophat Emplexador & Supreme 16.
Completed builds: LOTS..

Post by Greg »

juanro wrote:Well, the use of the transistor array is fine; the sales blurb & hype is fine; the "our fuzz is the best" is fine; the germanium and temperature references are shady (but technically "true", is a silicon tonebender, all right) but calling the IC "Proprietary Chip Set", or this: "Rxxxx Cxxxxx has developed a proprietary chipset that delivers pure MK2 fuzz tones without the use of germanium" is when they hit the curb, completed with start to throw shit everywhere over the fact that their fuzz is analized here.
Imagine this, instead: "This is our modern incarnation of the classic mk2, this is how it sounds, this is the price" Would that have sold less? I don't think so. Then it will be opened here, Lance passes by and says, "yeah pretty clever to use the 3046 right? also you can try this and that, and note the input stage biasing we were trying to mimic the input characteristics of a Ge transistor but with Si stability" would that have sold less? Hordes of RCTF clones flooding the market and driving them out of business? Again, don't think so.
Now they have been exposed as liars and worst - are engaged in this useless, virtual fight wich they can't win against a very motivated community.

Juanro
Thank You feature doesn't seem to be working.. all part of the restructuring I guess..
So - Thanks for a well thought out and intelligent post juanro !!.
culturejam wrote: We are equal opportunity exposure artists.

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: my jansen bassman 50
Completed builds: rebote 2.5; supreaux; odie; heartthrob tremolo; ross phaser; dr. boogey; thor; baja black toast; slow gear attack, rebote, tri-vibe, small clone, little angel, magnus modulus, echo base, hex fuzz, big muff, 22/7.

Post by rocklander »

Greg_G wrote: Thank You feature doesn't seem to be working.. all part of the restructuring I guess..
So - Thanks for a well thought out and intelligent post juanro !!.
ha! I had the same issue.. :applause:
world's greatest tautologist ...in the world
Ronsonic wrote:...the lower the stakes the more vicious the combat.

Mugshot
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Mugshot »

juanro wrote:Well, the use of the transistor array is fine; the sales blurb & hype is fine; the "our fuzz is the best" is fine; the germanium and temperature references are shady (but technically "true", is a silicon tonebender, all right) but calling the IC "Proprietary Chip Set", or this: "Rxxxx Cxxxxx has developed a proprietary chipset that delivers pure MK2 fuzz tones without the use of germanium" is when they hit the curb, completed with start to throw shit everywhere over the fact that their fuzz is analized here.

Juanro
in short, he was banking on technobabble for profit. allegedly :lol:

imma check tayda if they stock on transistor arrays, too. :lol:
signatures are for the weak.
FiveseveN wrote:
considering the low quality of the transistors and caps
Are Asian electrons inferior to American electrons?

deltafred
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by deltafred »

Greg_G wrote: Thank You feature doesn't seem to be working.. all part of the restructuring I guess..
So - Thanks for a well thought out and intelligent post !!.
Still works for me.

Thanks Juanrmo. :applause:
Politics is the art of so plucking the goose as to obtain the most feathers with the least squawking. - R.G. 2011
Jeez, she's an ugly bastard, she makes my socks hurt. I hope it's no ones missus here. - Ice-9 2012

Greg
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Tophat Emplexador & Supreme 16.
Completed builds: LOTS..

Post by Greg »

deltafred wrote:
Still works for me.

Are you sure.. juanro has no thanks from you.. :scratch:
culturejam wrote: We are equal opportunity exposure artists.

earthtonesaudio
Transistor Tuner
Information
Completed builds: Metal Simplex, Fuzz Factory, two Fab Echos-modded, Noisy Cricket, Earth & Space Wah, TS-7-modded, passive xover/splitter box, opamp fuzz

Post by earthtonesaudio »

RnFR wrote:
mictester wrote:

Finally an answer! alright, let's see here...110 degrees Celsius =

230F???? [/color] :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol: oh Lancey, you crack me up!!
Last month I had the interesting assignment of fixing a (fanless) 800W linear voltage regulator that kept burning its output devices. The MOSFETs would get to about 160C then the nonconductive screws holding them to the heatsink would boil, then the device would lift off the heatsink and fail almost instantly. My solution was to clamp them down with a big block of aluminum. Low tech, but it worked!
rocklander wrote:hairsplitting and semantics aren't exactly the same thing though.. we may need two contests for that.

culturejam
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by culturejam »

earthtonesaudio wrote:Last month I had the interesting assignment of fixing a (fanless) 800W linear voltage regulator that kept burning its output devices. The MOSFETs would get to about 160C then the nonconductive screws holding them to the heatsink would boil, then the device would lift off the heatsink and fail almost instantly. My solution was to clamp them down with a big block of aluminum. Low tech, but it worked!
Hurry and patent that!!!!111one!!

:blackeye :slap:

deltafred
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by deltafred »

Greg_G wrote:
deltafred wrote:
Still works for me.

Are you sure.. juanro has no thanks from you.. :scratch:
Oh I see what you mean Greg, I sat scratching my head for a while wondering what you meant.

I haven't got used to the 'Thanks' button yet, you will have to excuse me it is and age thing.

I did notice that I spelled juanro incorrectly, sorry if it "Juanrmo" means something derogatory in Spanish.
Politics is the art of so plucking the goose as to obtain the most feathers with the least squawking. - R.G. 2011
Jeez, she's an ugly bastard, she makes my socks hurt. I hope it's no ones missus here. - Ice-9 2012

juanro
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by juanro »

I did notice that I spelled juanro incorrectly, sorry if it "Juanrmo" means something derogatory in Spanish.
Juanro is short for my two names (Juan Rodrigo), Juanrmo is nothing bad, just unpronounceable :)

deltafred
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by deltafred »

Greg_G wrote: Are you sure.. juanro has no thanks from you.. :scratch:
Update.
When I try thanking juanro with the thanks button I get the message "Invalid thank" :scratch:

juanro
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by juanro »

Yeah, I'm just that ungrateful :twisted: