EHX - Small Stone ( LM13600 )  [schematic]

All about modern commercial stompbox circuits from Electro Harmonix over MXR, Boss and Ibanez into the nineties.
makrz
Information

Post by makrz »

small correction
Attachments
1.gif
1.gif (1.94 KiB) Viewed 4455 times
1-1.GIF
1-1.GIF (289.9 KiB) Viewed 4455 times

GodSaveMetal
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by GodSaveMetal »

makrz wrote:Hello, my small stone works very well.
You have your archive of this draw in SPRINT LAYOUT??? please you would post it???? thanks a lot!!! you have the external wirings of this??? please you would also post it?? thanks a lot for your hard work!! :applause: :applause:

makrz
Information

Post by makrz »

GodSaveMetal wrote:
You have your archive of this draw in SPRINT LAYOUT??? please you would post it???? thanks a lot!!! you have the external wirings of this??? please you would also post it?? thanks a lot for your hard work!! :applause: :applause:
Attachments
sstone.GIF
sstone.GIF (135.36 KiB) Viewed 4406 times
smallstone.rar
(30.63 KiB) Downloaded 608 times

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Self-Built Valve Amp Head :)
Completed builds: Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face,Tone Bender Professional Mk 3,Tone Bender 3-Knob,Baja BK Butler Tube Driver,Baja Real Tube Overdrive,Roger Mayer Octavia,EH Soul Preacher,Tech 21 XXL Distortion,MFOS Weird Sound Generator.

Post by DrNomis »

Well, seeing that I'm a fan of Jean Michelle Jare's music, and knowing that he uses an EH Small Stone to get the phasing-effect on his albums "Oxygene" and "Equinoxe", I've just gotta build me one of these..... :thumbsup
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information
Completed builds: Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face,Tone Bender Professional Mk 3,Tone Bender 3-Knob,Baja BK Butler Tube Driver,Baja Real Tube Overdrive,Roger Mayer Octavia,EH Soul Preacher,Tech 21 XXL Distortion,MFOS Weird Sound Generator.

Post by DrNomis »

Damn, that should have been "Jean Michelle Jarre", there was no edit button so I couldn't edit my last post, so I had to post my corrections.... :slap:
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.

mictester
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Mesa Boogie, Roost Sessionmaster, AC30
Completed builds: Hundreds! Mostly originals, a few clones and lots of modifications.

Post by mictester »

DrNomis wrote:Well, seeing that I'm a fan of Jean Michelle Jarre's music, and knowing that he uses an EH Small Stone to get the phasing-effect on his albums "Oxygene" and "Equinoxe", I've just gotta build me one of these..... :thumbsup
You'll find (as he did) that the phaser is a bit noisy, and introduces some distortion of its own. It's OK for guitar, but not really suitable for keyboards. JMJ used a Doepfer phaser on the early stage rig I saw, and then he went entirely digital by about the time of the third album.
"Why is it humming?" "Because it doesn't know the words!"

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by DrNomis »

mictester wrote:
DrNomis wrote:Well, seeing that I'm a fan of Jean Michelle Jarre's music, and knowing that he uses an EH Small Stone to get the phasing-effect on his albums "Oxygene" and "Equinoxe", I've just gotta build me one of these..... :thumbsup
You'll find (as he did) that the phaser is a bit noisy, and introduces some distortion of its own. It's OK for guitar, but not really suitable for keyboards. JMJ used a Doepfer phaser on the early stage rig I saw, and then he went entirely digital by about the time of the third album.

That's something I didn't know, I just assumed that he used an EH Small Stone.... :shock:

GodSaveMetal
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by GodSaveMetal »

makrz wrote:
GodSaveMetal wrote:
Thanks makrz; I see that it is a good work!!!!!!!!!! :applause: :applause:

Basoni
Information

Post by Basoni »

makrz wrote:
GodSaveMetal wrote:
You can post again? thanks!!!

gena_p1
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by gena_p1 »

from archives...
Attachments
smallstone.rar
(30.63 KiB) Downloaded 696 times
smallstone.rar
(30.63 KiB) Downloaded 450 times

gena_p1
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by gena_p1 »

Sry guys, I attached the same archive twice, and have no "edit massage" button.

GodSaveMetal
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by GodSaveMetal »

gena_p1 wrote:from archives...
Yeah great and thanks; please tell me if a sustitution for the LM13600 would be LM13700 with no changes??? :hmmm: or what I will chanche? :roll: cuz in my country it unabaliable the LM13600 but I found the LM13700; thanks for your interest and work!!! :applause:

mictester
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Mesa Boogie, Roost Sessionmaster, AC30
Completed builds: Hundreds! Mostly originals, a few clones and lots of modifications.

Post by mictester »

GodSaveMetal wrote:
Yeah great and thanks; please tell me if a substitution for the LM13600 would be LM13700 with no changes??? :hmmm: or what I will chanche? :roll: cuz in my country it unabaliable the LM13600 but I found the LM13700; thanks for your interest and work!!! :applause:
That's fine - the 13700 is a direct replacement for a 13600. You won't need to make any circuit changes at all.
"Why is it humming?" "Because it doesn't know the words!"

GodSaveMetal
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by GodSaveMetal »

mictester wrote:
GodSaveMetal wrote:
Yeah great and thanks; please tell me if a substitution for the LM13600 would be LM13700 with no changes??? :hmmm: or what I will chanche? :roll: cuz in my country it unabaliable the LM13600 but I found the LM13700; thanks for your interest and work!!! :applause:
That's fine - the 13700 is a direct replacement for a 13600. You won't need to make any circuit changes at all.
OK thanks a lot !!!!!!!!!!! :applause:

Basoni
Information

Post by Basoni »

mictester wrote:
GodSaveMetal wrote:

The very EH uses the LM 13700 (SMD) on the Nano Small Stone!!!

theehman
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by theehman »

Basoni wrote: The very EH uses the LM 13700 (SMD) on the Nano Small Stone!!!

Didn't know they were doing that circuit. They asked me for a copy of the LM13600 Small Stone schematic a couple of years ago.
Ron Neely II
Electro-Harmonix info: http://electroharmonix.vintageusaguitars.com
Home of RonSound effects: http://www.ronsound.com
fx schematics and repairs

yiyorebel
Information

Post by yiyorebel »

Hello .... anyone can help me .... I need to know what the in, out , 9v , ground , and connecting the brightness switch ..... thank you very much . regards

yiyorebel
Information

Post by yiyorebel »

Hello , sorry for opening a mean old theme , I tell them , finish my small stone , I did work and it sounds incredible , the problem that after disconnecting it to put it in its box , stopped working , that did not happen , does not pass signal guitar when I touch with my hand 68nF capacitor upper ranges , the truth is that not be done. Any help thank you.
PD . excuse the English , use google translator.
regards

minnow
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by minnow »

Hello everyone. Yet another revival of an old (and possibly uninteresting) thread.

I was comparing the Sprint layout by makrz which was re-upped by gena_p1 against the schematic (uncleboko / analogguru): viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3567&hilit=13600#p38758
I noticed four differences. I have highlighted them in the attachment:
1. 1K8 on layout vs 1K on schematic
2. 100 on layout vs 100K on schematic
3. 33uF capacitor polarity swapped in layout
4. 47nF cap connects LM324 pins 1 & 4 on layout vs pins 5 & 7 on schematic (this is too heavyweight for me)
FSBSStone.PNG
Looking at the LM324 datasheet, #4 (47nF cap connection) gets too complicated for me:
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (30.52 KiB) Viewed 3785 times
Should corrections be made on the PCB to match the schematic?
If the 47nF is not critical, could it be left out altogether?

Regarding 33uF polarized caps - could 47uFs be used instead?

Also, could anyone please slap me and tell me I should attempt a Tonepad Ross Phaser instead?
I supposed it is because this layout is big. And I could use a big enclosure I have without a purpose.

minnow
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by minnow »

Hi everyone. Some updates on this.
I have built this according to the layout (not the schematic values, refer to notes):

1. 1K8 on layout (vs 1K on schematic)
2. 100 on layout (vs 100K on schematic)
3. 33uF capacitor polarity (polarity follow schematic, not the layout)
4. 47nF cap connects LM324 pins 1 & 4 on layout (vs pins 5 & 7 on schematic)

It works! Great sounding phaser (coming from someone who dislike phaser effect).

However, there is a kind of "noise" that happens during the trebly end of the sweep (swirl). Like a flourescent lamp "eeeeeeek" noise.
When the sweep (swirl) is on the dark side of the moon, noise is not present / noticeable.
Hope my explanation is not too confusing.
This is noticeable in both switch positions. The position with deeper sweep has more noticeable "noise".

I have tried this effect without the guitar plugged in, meaning the pedal outputs directly to the amp, with a battery.
So ruled out my guitar pickups causing this problem.
I turned off my lights, turned off computer monitor (unplugged from mains) and tried the amp on two different power mains.
The amp is quiet with other pedals.

During my build, every component measured prior to soldering, and measured for contact after soldering.
STILL, probably a build error from my side.
But any help / clue on what to look out for will be great.

Could it be switch wiring error?

One more thing, when I unplug the guitar cable to the pedal, one switch position howls and squeals. Plug in again and it's gone.

I hope anyone else who has built it or anyone working on this can chime in and get this project in FSB going.
As always, thanks everyone!