Interfax - Harmonic Percolator  [schematic]

Discussion regarding early stompbox technology: 1960-1975 Please keep discussion focused and contribute what info you have...
EXISTENZ
Information

Post by EXISTENZ »

mr.stahl wrote:There's a gut pic on page 8. I'll post more later or tomorrow.

Also check out my sound clip on youtube:
More to come. This was done with an early prototype.

The enclosure was completely designed by myself staying as close to the original as I can and made at a local company that is working with sheetmetal.
Same with the print.
Also used the same screws and rivets for the battery holder as in the original.
Hi Mr.stahl, i've looked at yr video, and i love the sound of yr percolator, it's the same that i love in at action park, my favourite shellac's record....
Well i'm starting to buildin my percolator and i want to make the same that you have done, because of my poor english i did't understand which schematic have you used to build your, could you please link the project (schematics, component list, and layout as well if is possible) with some suggestion? You could send them at my email address if you want: ufo@hotmail.it... i really appreciate your help, and congratulations for you amazing HP!!
Nico

Effectsiation
Information

Post by Effectsiation »

mr.stahl wrote:does anybody remeber the early dual NPN HP's?
Here is my clone...
IMG_3025copy.jpg

Mr. Stahl, this is awesome!

Can you tell me where you got those sweet diode-looking axial caps from? I'd never even seen them before checking out the HP, and haven't seen them listed for sale on any websites.

ringworm
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by ringworm »

Effectsiation wrote:those sweet diode-looking axial caps
I think they are some kind of military grade 0.1% metal resistors. I remember reading about them in another HP thread somewhere as they were used in the original interfax models (i think).

inbearsuits
Information

Post by inbearsuits »

Effectsiation wrote:
Here is my clone...
IMG_3025copy.jpg

Can you tell me where you got those sweet diode-looking axial caps from? I'd never even seen them before checking out the HP, and haven't seen them listed for sale on any websites.
Hi

I'd like to ask you the same thing Mr. Stahl. These are probably the most hard-to-find components in there.

Could you tell us their exact values. I think they're 1% resistors, but I don't know their value. I think they might be 60 Gohms, which would be weird, but you never know with that pedal...

phibes
Transistor Tuner
Information
my favorite amplifier: HIWATT motherfucker!

Post by phibes »

inbearsuits wrote:
Effectsiation wrote:
Here is my clone...
IMG_3025copy.jpg

Hi

I'd like to ask you the same thing Mr. Stahl. These are probably the most hard-to-find components in there.

Could you tell us their exact values. I think they're 1% resistors, but I don't know their value. I think they might be 60 Gohms, which would be weird, but you never know with that pedal...
They're just glass resistors. I forget that actual term. Stahl probably used the values in the schemo. As far as the 60 gigaohms goes, I think it's just a marking. I have a few of the same kinda resistors laying around and the values printed on them along with the '60G' so I'm thinking it's just a branding.
GuitarlCarl - "TGP = The Gear Polishers"

Image Ken

inbearsuits
Information

Post by inbearsuits »

I've just made one today, following the old George Giblet's schematic. Actually, it is also my first diy pedal. I've just finished it and tried it and it sounds terrific ! I've bought enough components to make the old dual NPN version, the Pussy Fuzz and the Sardonic Albinator versions too. Can't wait !!

GuitarlCarl
Cap Cooler
Information
my favorite amplifier: anything tube
Completed builds: Ds-1 mods, SD-1 mods, Small Clone mods, Muff build, Axis build, various other transistor booster builds... I can build a badaxe harmonic perc, but I can't get a fuzzface to sound worth a crap!

Post by GuitarlCarl »

That's cool brother. Actually the HP is one of my favorites. It's a odd geeky thing too, socket your next board so you can swap transistors in (better yet breadboard it) because with different trannys it can sound vastly different!!! I like EGC129 in Q1 PNP and 2SC538 in Q2 NPN, you may need to adjust Q2s collector to ground resistor for best results. For mine, equivalence to 91k made the difference.
I want it to sound like bees buzzing around in a 55 gallon drum...

inbearsuits
Information

Post by inbearsuits »

I've just finished the dual 2N3565 model and it's interestingly different. Smoother, almost bluesy, and without the huge volume augmentation of the later model. I'm getting started on the Albini version now.

phibes
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by phibes »

If your going after all the variations be sure to make up Tim Escobedo's take without the clipping diodes. Doesn't sound Percolaterish but it's easy my favorite overdrive/dist with my Hiwatt. Really nice transistor driven sound.

Image Ken

inbearsuits
Information

Post by inbearsuits »

I’m about to finish the Albini version. I’ve been using the NPN-PNP HP-1 and its dual NPN version for several weeks in my band now, and I do get different types of feedback with the two versions like Albini does in the famous Youtube vidéo of him comparing the original and the Barge Concept Clone. I get the huge whistling larsen with the NPN-PNP and the thin very high-pitched whining with the dual NPN, which is the version the people at Barge Concept based their clone upon, which leads me to believe their clone is not half bad…

Zokk
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Zokk »

Did you get the "octave down" effect with your builds?

I've build the Giblet "later version" and the "Albini version" from Madbean, and they sound totally different:
On the Giblet version I used an AC128 and a 2N2222a, it sounds really meaty with this "octave down" stuff, and can do crazy feedbacks too easily. Very nice pedal!

The Albini version got the "original" trannies 2N404a low gain + 2N3565, with added mosfet clipper; and even if it sounds thinner and more "modern" than the Giblet's one, it can make nice feedbacks too. Also it doesn't do the beloved "octave down" effect. It's a very good overdrive/fuzz, but it lacks this ballsy low end I've found in the other version.

At the moment I haven't figured what is wrong with the Albini version, I would like it sounds near the same as the other one with the octave down stuff too :scratch:

inbearsuits
Information

Post by inbearsuits »

I'll probably finish the Albini version tonight so I'll come up with a better comparison of different versions soon but for now, I'm getting a certain amount of lower octave with the Giblet schem and not so much with the older dual NPN version. The former is harsher, with both strong treble and low-end, the latter mellower and it really cleans up nicely. They both have very different feedback proprieties as I described previously.

But the main difference to me is the amount of gain boost I get from them : the Georges Giblet version delivers a HUGE, ear-splitting sound when used with the pots turned all the way up while the older original version has less gain boost (though it does have a fairly good amount of it).

The Giblet for all those reasons will cut more easily in the mix, I assume.

SonicDaeath
Information

Post by SonicDaeath »

I built up Tim E's Harmonic Jerkulator the other day and finally got to try it against my buddies Chuck Collins percolator. The HJ was way bassier and cooler sounding than Collins' IMO. I'm really happy with mine and am glad I didn't shell out for the Germanium components.

phibes
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by phibes »

SonicDaeath wrote:I built up Tim E's Harmonic Jerkulator the other day and finally got to try it against my buddies Chuck Collins percolator. The HJ was way bassier and cooler sounding than Collins' IMO. I'm really happy with mine and am glad I didn't shell out for the Germanium components.
The Jerk is one of my favorite boxes. Through my Hiwatt Custom 100 it can blow up virgins if you're not careful. Gives such a good transistor over-driven sound, definitely doesn't sound like a fuzz but that's a good thing. It's got that low gain distortion but through a high headroom amp, it just sounds so huge, no need for any extra gain. I run the gain pot just at noon. Pretty damn good for a circuit that can be put together with all radioshack parts!

Image Ken

inbearsuits
Information

Post by inbearsuits »

Done ! I've built all four versions. The Pussy Fuzz, imo doesn't sound dramatically different from the "Albinator" it's based on. It cleans up really nicely btw. The two that i find most interesting to AB are the "albinator" and the old dual NPN version. Hey maybe I should try and plug them in series and see what happens if I turn both on ! :lol:

GuitarlCarl
Cap Cooler
Information
Completed builds: Ds-1 mods, SD-1 mods, Small Clone mods, Muff build, Axis build, various other transistor booster builds... I can build a badaxe harmonic perc, but I can't get a fuzzface to sound worth a crap!

Post by GuitarlCarl »

I recently built a Muff with the values to be a HOOf... for my son, he cranks a Perc I built into the Hoof. Says its organlike with endless sustain. Me i like a Perc into a Tubescreamer...

inbearsuits
Information

Post by inbearsuits »

Perc into a Tube Screamer ? That sounds interesting, I'll try that when I get home I think. I've been lent a TS and I love this thing ! Fantastic OD. I never thought about putting an OD after a Fuzz but what the heck, I could use it to just add a little more edge.

GuitarlCarl
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by GuitarlCarl »

Well is the Harmonic Perc really a fuzz? Or is it an overdrive with clipping diodes? Also I use different trannies in mine so I know it sounds different than yours.... IMO any Perc should have trim pots at the +9v resistor and at the ground resistor so you can bias, and should have sockets to try different transistors. Really saves a guy from building the same thing over and over just to hear different transistors... :block: Even changing the diodes makes a difference...

sinner
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by sinner »

Thanks all for contribution. Here's my vero layout

yoopee
Information

Post by yoopee »

hi to all,
I'm trying to build my own HP clone. I have good results with circuit breadboarded now. So, what I'm searching for now is "original" pcb layout.

Anyone have this?

Thank you!

yoopee