Ibanez - AF2 Airplane Flanger  [schematic]

All about modern commercial stompbox circuits from Electro Harmonix over MXR, Boss and Ibanez into the nineties.
rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: my jansen bassman 50
Completed builds: rebote 2.5; supreaux; odie; heartthrob tremolo; ross phaser; dr. boogey; thor; baja black toast; slow gear attack, rebote, tri-vibe, small clone, little angel, magnus modulus, echo base, hex fuzz, big muff, 22/7.

Post by rocklander »

Dirk_Hendrik wrote:Rocklander will too and once he tasted the SMD fruit... he'll never go back :mrgreen:
used to repair cell phones in the 90's ... I've tried that particular fruit.. it just doesn't suit my current palette :wink:
world's greatest tautologist ...in the world
Ronsonic wrote:...the lower the stakes the more vicious the combat.

jrjoe21
Information
my favorite amplifier: DIY Chieftain-R66 clone
Completed builds: Many

Post by jrjoe21 »

just ordered one :D ... Will let you know hot I like it.
“Happiness in intelligent people is the rarest thing I know.” - E. Hemingway

gilmour_pugliese
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: DIY Hiwatt DR504

Post by gilmour_pugliese »

marshmellow wrote:Need is a wide term. I made a layout for the Univibe that fits a 125B enclosure, that is a good enough reason for me. Bulky EHX-sized boxes aren't so much my thing.
any chance to see it? :popcorn:

pedalgrinder
Cap Cooler
Information
my favorite amplifier: Ampeg SVT
Completed builds: pedals with pots switches and everything

Post by pedalgrinder »

I don't believe the fact of smd fixing makes you any better tech what a load of shit i've fixed many smd products and units. My opinion is that it is nothing more than a pain in the arse. I can deal with it and repair it. But it's still a ballbreaker just cause you pull your dick over it doesn't make it the best. It's not necessary for pedals and i stand by that!
What's the best thing about fat chicks and scooters? There both fun to ride around until your mates find out!

pedalgrinder
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by pedalgrinder »

actually there are pick and place machines for through hole but smd became the more predominant one due to multi layer boards internal components and the like. So the wank of oh it makes it a cheaper pedal what planet do you live on. Clearly you don't understand electronic manufacturing.
What's the best thing about fat chicks and scooters? There both fun to ride around until your mates find out!

Ice-9
Degoop Doctor
Information
my favorite amplifier: Marshall
Completed builds: Far to many to afford the enclosures for them all. :)

Post by Ice-9 »

SMD is far chaeper to manufacture than through hole components even from the very first stage. For one, making the leadless components is a huge saving on the manufacture of leaded components and then there is the no need for any drilling of the pcb (or very little)

I prefer to proto SMD boards as there so easy to assemble and repair. I think people have to get a grip on technology and move on, all the stuff people consider mojo from vintage effects are in fact the cutting edge of tech when they were first made.
It's fairly straight forward, if you want to start it , press start. You can work out the rest of the controls for yourself !

No silicon heaven ? preposterous ! Where would all the calculators go ?

pedalgrinder
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by pedalgrinder »

Thats not true depends how its developed and what machinery is chosen to make the units it has nothing to do with moving on it has to do with what manfacturing equipment is chosen.

Chugs
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Chugs »

Ice-9 wrote:...all the stuff people consider mojo from vintage effects are in fact the cutting edge of tech when they were first made.
So true!!!

pedalgrinder
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by pedalgrinder »

what a load of shit. The circuits that were developed in that era a lot of them were unique. And some i would go as far to say ahead of there time. Through hole has nothing to do with those era circuits. A lot of them are done using smd these days. But in all reality smd is more than likely used as these companys produce more than just pedals so they have allready invested in smd machinery. If they were doing only pedals or smaller circuits the through hole equipment would be of the same cost factor and in all reality smd is really not needed for analog pedals. Nothing new or better has come about with the so called latest technology why has everyone avoided full digital pedals smd or through hole has nothing to do with it. So your dreaming if you think it was the cutting edge of the time. Yes new parts were developed as time went on but thats when a majority of unique designs were created when the actual time and effort was put in to it.

uncleboko
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by uncleboko »

I stocked up with dil opamps from Texas so that I never need to use smd, which are very very bad for tired eyes!!

FluffChop
Information

Post by FluffChop »

Surface mount components can reduce the size of a finished product. This is the size of a Jetlyzer so size wasn't a factor. A flanger circuit using leaded components could be half the size of this unit.

They wanted it to be the size it is and they manufactured it using SMD.

The worst of both worlds.