Boss RV-3 (or DD-2,3) High Cut Mod? Diagram, values?

A forum devoted to mod, tips and suggestions for upgrading and rehousing your VERY CHEAP commercial stompbox to near boutique excellence.
nihoneiga
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: 63' Fender Bandmaster
Completed builds: Maestro MFZ-1 (my favorite), 1977 Big Muff, Fuzz Factory, EA Tremolo, Super Hard-on, ROG Tubescreamer

Post by nihoneiga »

Hi guys, after two years of building my own pedals I've broken down a purchased a Boss RV-3 just to have some reverb on my board when gigging in Japan (you never know what kind of amp you'll encounter as they are provided by the venue here). I tried reverse engineer the Hermida reverb box that used "the brick" digital reverb but I failed miserably twice so I gave up and bought the Boss.

Anyway, I've listened to a number of samples of Boss RV-3 with a high cut switch mod and I love the option of switching between the two. I think it's a fairly simple procedure and would like to perform this on my new (used) pedal but can't find anything online but vague information about adding a cap and switch to the back of the of the feedback pot.

Could someone spell out for me how to perform the high-cut mod? Cap values, type of switch etc, and/or a diagram would be a godsend! I've been building some of my own pedals but still lack some fundamental logic of how things inherently go together in electronics so the clearer and more hand holding the explanation the better.

Many thanks, and happy new years!

kekke466
Information

Post by kekke466 »

Hi guys, after two years of building my own pedals I've broken down a purchased a Boss RV-3 just to have some reverb on my board when gigging in Japan (you never know what kind of amp you'll encounter as they are provided by the venue here). I tried reverse engineer the Hermida reverb box that used "the brick" digital reverb but I failed miserably twice so I gave up and bought the Boss.

Anyway, I've listened to a number of samples of Boss RV-3 with a high cut switch mod and I love the option of switching between the two. I think it's a fairly simple procedure and would like to perform this on my new (used) pedal but can't find anything online but vague information about adding a cap and switch to the back of the of the feedback pot.

Could someone spell out for me how to perform the high-cut mod? Cap values, type of switch etc, and/or a diagram would be a godsend! I've been building some of my own pedals but still lack some fundamental logic of how things inherently go together in electronics so the clearer and more hand holding the explanation the better.

Many thanks, and happy new years!

I'm trying to achieve the same mod.
After some research I've found out a way to cut the highs by placing a 0.1µF cap in the dry signal line (on the Balance potentiometer).
Because the other potentiometer function as encoders they cannot be used.

BUT, by adding the cap, the balance pot has volume loss on the dry signal, so I'm trying to figure out how to only affect the line of the repeats only.
Did you figure it out yet?

Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Dirk_Hendrik »

boss_rv3_delay_reverb.pdf
(260.64 KiB) Downloaded 307 times
What you want to do is alter the filter curve of the filters built around Q7 and Q8.
Sorry. Plain out of planes.

http://www.dirk-hendrik.com

Fredenando
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Fredenando »

Here are the Boss RV-3 Service Notes:

http://es.scribd.com/doc/77540575/Boss- ... vice-Notes

kekke466
Information

Post by kekke466 »

Okay, I found it!

I put a 47nF cap over the two outer lugs of the balance pot, one is ground and the other is the one from the repeats.
Works great! The pedal sounds so much better without those bright repeats, incredible!

spacelordmother
Information

Post by spacelordmother »

I went into my RV-3 to do this mod and am a bit stumped by the balance pot:

I have been looking at the board (VR 2/2) in the posted schematic and can't seem to figure out which are pins 1 and 3. Would love to learn how to decipher this riddle!

(the board looked that way when I opened it up...)

spacelordmother
Information

Post by spacelordmother »

For anyone else who stumbles upon this page -- In the image above, bottom left lug on the pot connected to ground rolls off highs on the wet signal, 3rd from left on the top if you want to roll off on the dry. I tried a few different cap values, but .047uf did seem to be the most usable, but enough of a change to warrant the mod and a switch to turn it on and off. :thumbsup

NormanB88
Information

Post by NormanB88 »

Hi. I know it's an old Thread. But can someone please tell me the pins where I have to solder the capacitor on? It's hard to figure out from the existing post witch pin o should use.

Many thanks