Joyo Ultimate Octave: how to make it useable?

A forum devoted to mod, tips and suggestions for upgrading and rehousing your VERY CHEAP commercial stompbox to near boutique excellence.
ttenroc
Information

Post by ttenroc »

Is it possible to add a Fuzz lift switch so that I can use the octave up without fuzz?

goonierat
Information

Post by goonierat »

Hi everyone,

I did the cap mod - was easy! Took me 20 mins!

Here's a (really bad quality, sloppy playing) demo of the sounds. I absolutely LOVE the octave on this now. As good as a Foxx Tone MAchine IMO

digitalzombie
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by digitalzombie »

Nice vid! I can really hear the difference in the octave compared to my stock model.

I will try replacing/rotating the caps soon. Can anyone speak to whether or not this adds any headroom? Seems like I really have to crank the volume knob to get anywhere decent in the mix.

g.sound
Information

Post by g.sound »

thanks for your interesting post on the subject of this pedal. I actually really like the sound of it as it is but i am curious about the cap switching mod to bring out the octave effect a bit more. My question is, does this mod affect the sound of the fuzz in normal non-octave mode?

digitalzombie
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by digitalzombie »

So, here's a newbie question: if the polarized capacitors are facing the wrong direction in the circuit, how is the circuit even working? I've been researching electronics recently, and I thought that might stop the signal entirely, like a diode facing the wrong direction. In fact, I saw a tutorial about capacitors on YouTube yesterday where the polarized caps facing the wrong direction would actually explode! Not sure what kind of voltage was being fed into them, or even if that matters. Any insight would be useful to me, because I feel weird flipping my caps around if my initial thought is that the circuit shouldn't work at all if that's the case.

nippletwister
Information

Post by nippletwister »

Joined this board so I could view this thread.

Just picked up a five pack of Joyo pedals - the Ultimate Drive and Vintage Overdrive are like a wet dream, the 6 Channel EQ does what it is supposed to. The compression and Ultimate Octave are disappointing. I agree with above posts in regards to the compression this pedal lays in. Looking forward to cutting the pedal open and making these changes.

Pedalpusher
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Pedalpusher »

I did the cap rotate mod. It drained me as I have big fingers that made it difficult. So I decided to try swapping the other caps later on. The octave effect is much better now.

drfried
Information

Post by drfried »

digitalzombie wrote:So, here's a newbie question: if the polarized capacitors are facing the wrong direction in the circuit, how is the circuit even working? I've been researching electronics recently, and I thought that might stop the signal entirely, like a diode facing the wrong direction. In fact, I saw a tutorial about capacitors on YouTube yesterday where the polarized caps facing the wrong direction would actually explode! Not sure what kind of voltage was being fed into them, or even if that matters. Any insight would be useful to me, because I feel weird flipping my caps around if my initial thought is that the circuit shouldn't work at all if that's the case.
As coupling AC signal caps, polarized electros definitely DO work when backwards, just not very well (the reversed DC bias presents resistance to the AC signal). The low DC voltages present here do not present a damage risk - the tutorial refers to high-voltage amp circuits, a whole other scenario. Take my word for it, reversing those two electros in the Joyo UO DOES improve the octave function markedly - I've done it!

digitalzombie
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by digitalzombie »

drfried wrote: As coupling AC signal caps, polarized electros definitely DO work when backwards, just not very well (the reversed DC bias presents resistance to the AC signal). The low DC voltages present here do not present a damage risk - the tutorial refers to high-voltage amp circuits, a whole other scenario. Take my word for it, reversing those two electros in the Joyo UO DOES improve the octave function markedly - I've done it!
Thanks. Now I just wish my soldering job went better since my signal is cutting in and out. :(

v8media
Information

Post by v8media »

Hmm. Rotated the two caps and it didn't get noticeably synthier/octavier, and it hurt my ears. Turned 'em back and it's more controllable. Right now the stripe (which I believe is negative) is right on the caps. Which way are you guys turning them for a more synth/octavy sound? Maybe they've switched them, or maybe mine is different or faulty in some way?

digitalzombie
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by digitalzombie »

v8media wrote:Hmm. Rotated the two caps and it didn't get noticeably synthier/octavier, and it hurt my ears. Turned 'em back and it's more controllable. Right now the stripe (which I believe is negative) is right on the caps. Which way are you guys turning them for a more synth/octavy sound? Maybe they've switched them, or maybe mine is different or faulty in some way?
You know, I thought about that, whether maybe they started turning them around recently from the factory, but my caps were facing the same direction as the OP so I just assumed that was right. I think I should look at a schem of the circuit, just to make sure the next component in line matches what's on paper that should be coming from the cathode. I'm going to try to finish this tonight and see how I feel.

Kaptenkork
Information

Post by Kaptenkork »

If I remember it correctly I had a foxx clone that I changed the couplingcaps to 1microF and didnt notice any loss of bass. It did get clearer in a good way. As I remember I changed the clipping diodes to to one led and one germanium on one side and one led and 2 germanium on the other to get it a little mor like a overdrive with a little lezz fuzz and more volume.Think I lessened the midscoop to in the tonesection

As I recall it became a really good sounding pedal. For some reason I couldn´t resist sellig it and regret that.

Anyway I just ordered a joyo and will do the same mod to this.

This maybe dont help but could be something to think about if someone else likes to experiment.

digitalzombie
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by digitalzombie »

Any suggestions for making the effect more saturated? When I ordered this I was kind of hoping the graphic on the front was alluding to a copy of a Ram's Head Muff, with an awesome upper-octave somehow...

bonefish
Information

Post by bonefish »

Two quick questions:
First, I've been trying to desolder, but having issues melting current solder on board and am paranoid about damaging board. How hot did you have to crank-up your soldering iron to actually desolder the components. I went up to around 630F and was still having challenges.

Second, there are two mods, one is rotating the cap, and the other is flipping the cap. What change to sound does each mod make.

Thanks!

v8media
Information

Post by v8media »

I find that a larger tip is easier, even though you have it cranked up that hot, I'd bet you have a small tip? That makes for a smaller point of contact with the thing you're soldering. I rotated them using a cheapo 25w soldering iron with a fairly large tip. Instead of trying to get both pins at once, I heated up one at a time and slowly nudged one side at a time out. Same thing to get the pins back in, pressing a bit while going side to side melting the solder you're pushing the pins into. Let cool in between presses if things are getting hot.

nippletwister
Information

Post by nippletwister »

Just did the switch & reverse operations as suggested in the image. Notable improvement in octave effect, less compression overall. Still not as good a fuzz effect as a couple others I have.

Kaptenkork (or anybody) - can you point out where the clipping diodes are on the board? I have some leftover LED's and other resistors and have wanted to mess with that.

Kaptenkork
Information

Post by Kaptenkork »

Its the 2 diodes between one of the pots and the toneswitch

nippletwister
Information

Post by nippletwister »

The two big ones. Yeah, that's sort of what I figured. Thanks!

bonefish
Information

Post by bonefish »

Ok, I completed the mod and now the pedal will not power on! I guess that means I didn't complete the mod. Anyhow, the ribon cable came loose during the mod and I'm afraid I might not have reconnected properly. Could someone shoot me a pic detailing how those should be connected? Looking at it from the bottom, if you could include the bottom of the button/switch and the bottom of the board, that may be easiest. Thanks!

Jirbox
Information

Post by Jirbox »

Great mods for this pedal. Is there anyway to mod the pedal so I can use the octave without the fuzz?