New Fuzz Face-like boxes

Looking for a particular component or hardware part and you just cannot find it? Got comoonents surplus and want to get rid of it? Post it all here... No sales of working pedals, put these in the 'Seen for sale' section please.
Roa
Information

Post by Roa »

Hi there, I just wanted to share a few pics of a box that we are going to use for our last build, we are going to manufacture it ourselves. Hope you like it!

This one is so that you can see the real size of the box. We´ve build it much smaller than the original, closer to a regular size pedal.

And this is a photoshop. I´m not very good at it, but hopefully you´ll get a general idea of how is going to look.

Whatever impressions you may leave will be helpfull!

azrael
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by azrael »

Pretty cool, though I imagine it must be expensive! Is it worth it?

rousejeremy
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by rousejeremy »

That looks fantastic!

Roa
Information

Post by Roa »

azrael wrote:Pretty cool, though I imagine it must be expensive! Is it worth it?
Still waiting for a final price... We built a set of 10 to see how it would turn out. The box itself is not very expensive, but... how could I explain...Let me show you a picture of the inside.

As you can see de center has to be machined with a lathe. The channel for the bottom plate needs to be done with a lathe as well and the whole outside needs to be polished before it is painted, so that is the hard work. Anyway building 100 boxes I expect it not to be too expensive, and we liked the box so much that we will do it anyway! :horsey:

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Self-Built Valve Amp Head :)
Completed builds: Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face,Tone Bender Professional Mk 3,Tone Bender 3-Knob,Baja BK Butler Tube Driver,Baja Real Tube Overdrive,Roger Mayer Octavia,EH Soul Preacher,Tech 21 XXL Distortion,MFOS Weird Sound Generator.

Post by DrNomis »

Cool.... :thumbsup

Can you keep us informed about pricing and ordering?, thanks in advance..... :thumbsup
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.

earthtonesaudio
Transistor Tuner
Information
Completed builds: Metal Simplex, Fuzz Factory, two Fab Echos-modded, Noisy Cricket, Earth & Space Wah, TS-7-modded, passive xover/splitter box, opamp fuzz

Post by earthtonesaudio »

Wow, that is dedication. Good luck!
rocklander wrote:hairsplitting and semantics aren't exactly the same thing though.. we may need two contests for that.

kleuck
Cap Cooler
Information
Completed builds: I build and sell my own :)

Post by kleuck »

Hope the price will be reasonable...and you will ship to France.
Randall Aïken said :
Q: Is there any advantage to using solder with a 2% silver content?
A: Yes. Silver solder keeps werewolves away from your amp.

Roa
Information

Post by Roa »

Well I already got a quote... :evil: The predrilled and painted boxes will be around 25€/piece... Kind of pricey don´t you guys think? I mean, is a neat job and it´s pretty unique to have that kind of box in a normal pedal size, but don´t know about it. Any comments???

Govmnt_Lacky
Information

Post by Govmnt_Lacky »

Roa wrote:The predrilled and painted boxes will be around 25€/piece... Kind of pricey don´t you guys think?
I would say so. :shock:

GuitarlCarl
Cap Cooler
Information
my favorite amplifier: anything tube
Completed builds: Ds-1 mods, SD-1 mods, Small Clone mods, Muff build, Axis build, various other transistor booster builds... I can build a badaxe harmonic perc, but I can't get a fuzzface to sound worth a crap!

Post by GuitarlCarl »

Maybe in quantity thats a bit... but for a guy like me who does one offs for himself, its a cool box and I like the smaller footprint. I'd buy one if ya take paypal and didn't kill me on shipping. For you guys I guess ya gotta figure how many ya gotta sell before you MAKE money... :blackeye
I want it to sound like bees buzzing around in a 55 gallon drum...

phibes
Transistor Tuner
Information
my favorite amplifier: HIWATT motherfucker!

Post by phibes »

Roa wrote:Well I already got a quote... :evil: The predrilled and painted boxes will be around 25€/piece... Kind of pricey don´t you guys think? I mean, is a neat job and it´s pretty unique to have that kind of box in a normal pedal size, but don´t know about it. Any comments???
That doesn't seem too bad. What was the quantity on the quote? When dealing with manufacturing you don't usually start seeing big price breaks until the quantities hit 1,000.
GuitarlCarl - "TGP = The Gear Polishers"

Image Ken

Roa
Information

Post by Roa »

Guitarlcarl, if you want one is no problem. I have friends going to Tampa once a month so they could probably send it from there and it shouldn´t be too expensive.

Phibes, the quantity is 100. you´re totally right about the price brakedown, anything less than 1000 is a "custom" job for many shops.

phibes
Transistor Tuner
Information
my favorite amplifier: HIWATT motherfucker!

Post by phibes »

Most definitely, the 100 quantity is tough to push any deals with. Though you said they're gonna be painted and drilled right? If that's included, the cost isn't too bad at what you got quoted. That shaves off a lot of labor so you gotta factor that in from your end.

It's a unique enclosure, people won't mind shelling out some extra bones for it.
GuitarlCarl - "TGP = The Gear Polishers"

Image Ken

skylark44
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by skylark44 »

I like it...kinda reminds me of an "IED" (Improvised Explosive Device...I'm an ARMY veteran)...paint it Olive Drab, and give 'em another name, if you ever make a different pedal with the same enclosure (and don't forget my royalties, if you do :wink: )...and they'd sell like hotcakes :thumbsup . :mrgreen:

kleuck
Cap Cooler
Information
Completed builds: I build and sell my own :)

Post by kleuck »

Expensive, but unique, can you have them unpainted and cheaper ?
I'd prefer to make the final look on my own.
Randall Aïken said :
Q: Is there any advantage to using solder with a 2% silver content?
A: Yes. Silver solder keeps werewolves away from your amp.

prehistoric
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by prehistoric »

i think this is a really great idea, and kudos to you for pulling it off!

i understand the cost is going to be more than other boxes, it is really special. i will buy some.
please don' let people's comments about the price get you down, it is worth what you will charge. think of it this way, if very few people buy the boxes, you can have a more exclusive product when you sell the completed pedals in the enclosures.

The Rotagilla
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by The Rotagilla »

I'd be in for a couple, preferrably without the toggle and LED holes if that's possible.
The television will not be revolutionized.

agoldoor
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by agoldoor »

Considering that Dunlop is charging 65 bucks for a fuzz face enclosure, I'd say 33 bucks for one of these guys is very decent, on top of the fact that it's uniquely smaller too, very cool Roa!

I'll take two!

Roa
Information

Post by Roa »

agoldoor wrote:Considering that Dunlop is charging 65 bucks for a fuzz face enclosure, I'd say 33 bucks for one of these guys is very decent, on top of the fact that it's uniquely smaller too, very cool Roa!

I'll take two!
Wow, I´m amazed that so many people want the boxes! It wasn´t our initial idea to sell them, but I guess it won´t be a problem to send some boxes to the states, because we haven´t had any US customers yet and it would be just a few.

Anyway, if we do send the boxes I will take no advantage or profit from it. I want to make that clear so that there are no misunderstandings. I´m not here to sell my products, just to share them and learn everything I can.

We would send the boxes un-drilled and unpainted, as those are easy tasks for any of you and you can do it to your needs/specs. We would like to keep that "uniqueness" of the box for our product meaning that we wont sell more than 10 per person so that DIYers and custom builders may use them, but not mass builders.

That would probably take the cost of the box down to 20€ or less, I´ll have to double check. As soon as I get a quote I will tell you and open a list for whoever wants them. Again thanks for the feedback is really great to have so many "technical consultants" helping! :thumbsup

Cub
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by Cub »

These look amazing ! I might want to put one on the shelf in my rack, but I don't know if I have room for one. Could you please tell us the diameter ?
I wish I were a chestnut tree, nourished by the sun.
With twigs and leaves and branches and conkers by the ton.