Way Huge - Swollen Pickle

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

Here they are:

Way Huge Swollen Pickle guts and schematic

Feel free,
analogguru
Last edited by analogguru on 29 Jun 2007, 21:41, edited 1 time in total.
There´s a sucker born every minute - and too many of them end up in the bootweak pedal biz.

markm
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by markm »

I'd love to do a layout for this thing but, are the chips still available?

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

I'd love to do a layout for this thing but, are the chips still available?
These are quad transistor arrays which should still be in production. If not there should be a lot of NOS around. They were even produced in (Ex)-East-Germany, Russia with the same pinout.

With the same layout you can also use four independent transistors.
I think the array was only used to confuse a little bit and make the people believe that this is a special chip.

anyway for reference here are some other guts:
https://cgi.ebay.com/Way-Huge-Swollen-P ... dZViewItem

And I have a name for your pedal, how do you like:
:roll: Stolen Nickle :roll:

analogguru
There´s a sucker born every minute - and too many of them end up in the bootweak pedal biz.

bajaman
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by bajaman »

....or perhaps "Bloated Gherkin"
:lol: :lol: :lol:

beans1
Information

Post by beans1 »

Man I have tore the net up looking for the layout or even more the part values used in this pickle pedal. I know all about happy bobs web page but it does not give any part values and the tone stack does not sound right in any stock conf. big muff clone. I have bult 3 different types. The IC used is 4 2n3904 in one I dont remember the part number off hand but I do have it in my files if you guys want it. If you guys know the part values that he used can you share them with me ? Thanks.
I did figure out a way to make a big muff PI sound real close to his pickle tho . You change out the 39K for a 22K and in the tone stack change the 2 caps one for a .0022 and the other for a .068 this gives it a real nice scoped tone. When you turn the tone low it would make for a killer bass player bost pedal.Oh allmost for got I used 560pF caps insted of 470( Its what I had on hand)
Hay I hope this helps you guys out some.
Beans1

Torchy
Information

Post by Torchy »

beans1
Information

Post by beans1 »

Thanks I need to take that schem down it dont belong to me and I dont think it has the right part values in it. As i was reading though the forum here I seen where some one posted a schem of skreddy mayo and Im pretty sure its a nock off of the muff with pickle parts values.
Maybe sandstorm will tell tell us for sure.
Thanks
Beans

Greg
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Tophat Emplexador & Supreme 16.
Completed builds: LOTS..

Post by Greg »

Is this the schematic that's wrong ?

Greg
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Greg »

Sorry... duplicate of ag's link.
Last edited by Greg on 07 Jan 2008, 03:06, edited 1 time in total.

Skreddy
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Skreddy »

beans1 wrote:Thanks I need to take that schem down it dont belong to me and I dont think it has the right part values in it. As i was reading though the forum here I seen where some one posted a schem of skreddy mayo and Im pretty sure its a nock off of the muff with pickle parts values.
Maybe sandstorm will tell tell us for sure.
Thanks
Beans
I'm out of the closet now (for a long time)--it's me, remember? :wink:

But no; I don't claim to know exactly what parts are in the Swollen Pickle. I did take my tone-stack values directly from a file that Jeorge posted a couple of years or so ago, though. So if that tone stack doesn't work for you, I can't help.

As for the Mayo, no; it's got nothing to do with the Pickle; it's just a triangle-knob clone with a few minor mods to tweak the tone for transistors that didn't have quite the same character as the circa 1969 Fairchild 2N5133's. Oh, and a flat-mids-switchable tone stack.

beans1
Information

Post by beans1 »

I realy dont know for sure if it is wrong or not but i do know if it was right Mr. W.H. would be here asking us to take it down so im guesing thats not it. Im going to try and buy one in the hear future the the mystery will be over thats for sure.

Greg
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Greg »

BYOC have just released a "Pickled Beaver" mod kit for their Muff clone.

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YVM-1
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

Greg_G wrote:BYOC have just released a "Pickled Beaver" mod kit for their Muff clone.
Yeah, that looks cool. I actually wouldn't mind doing kind of a half n' half thing; use the transistor array from the Pickle, but use values that would make it closer to a Green Russian.
"Analog electronics in music is dead. Analog effects pedal design is a dead art." - Fran

celadine
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by celadine »

IMHO, there is no need for an expensive MAT04 type here. Your favorite low gain individual silicon transistors should do it. Or even the MPQ3904 itself.

The 475k value resistors can be the more common 470k. Otherwise that schematic is fine.

beans1
Information

Post by beans1 »

celadine wrote:IMHO, there is no need for an expensive MAT04 type here. Your favorite low gain individual silicon transistors should do it. Or even the MPQ3904 itself.

The 475k value resistors can be the more common 470k. Otherwise that schematic is fine.
Why not I mean if your only going to build one or 2 pedals and alot of people drop alot more money then that on geranium transistors. I have no intress in selling the mans work as my own but I would like to build one for me and one for my son..

celadine
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by celadine »

The MPQ3904 array that is supposed to be the original chip (only Mr. Huge knows for sure) is basically 4 unmatched 2n3904 transistors. Somewhere along the line things got confused, and people must have thought that the chip had to be a matched quad array, such as the mat04. The only reason I would recommend not using the mat04, which looks like a very fine set of transistors, is the price: 7-8$ a chip.

So, its no skin off my back either way, just trying to set aside the idea that one needs an expensive matched quad transistor array to replace a dirt cheap unmached array. 8)

bumblebee
Diode Debunker
Information
my favorite amplifier: ‘65 Twin Reverb
Completed builds: Fuzz & Preamps mostly.

Post by bumblebee »

so is there a layout for the chip version?

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YVM-1
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

bumblebee wrote:so is there a layout for the chip version?
BYOC is selling a kit of it. :lol:
"Analog electronics in music is dead. Analog effects pedal design is a dead art." - Fran

bumblebee
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by bumblebee »

woow,didnt see that coming.

bumblebee
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by bumblebee »

I don't know how correct this schem is going to be, I done the values from a photo, some where barely visible, the others I got from a supposed SP diy project on the web.
Take it with a grain of salt, although it differs slightly from other supposed SP schems, barely.
I so dislike the modern digital world that I need to use semi-digital effects to emulate the analog world of cassette, VHS, and vinyl.