Matching Precision AND Jazz Bass (bridge) pickup?

Pickups, wiring schemes, switch techniques and onboard active electronics for guitars and basses
lolbou
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by lolbou »

Hi,

I'm currently upgrading my (actually my brother's) old Aria Pro II bass (passive CTB series).

It has a precision and a jazz bridge pickup (PJ style).

I may buy a fender US P-bass pickup and a fender US J-bass bridge pickup. Would these match correctly from an output level point of view? I expect to use either one at a time or both, so I guess output level matters?

From the specifications I can find, it's fairly hard to know (to me). :?

I did google for previous records of such matching, but my findings are quite disappointing. Any help or experience appreciated! :thumbsup
- Are you a mod or a rocker?
- Uh, no, I'm a mocker.

skylark44
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by skylark44 »

If you need specs on the pickups for that bass, then check out http://www.matsumoku.org ...you should find any info in the models/labels/specs section http://www.matsumoku.org/models/ariaproii/bass.html , or even in the forums (if the catalog section doesn't help) :wink: . :mrgreen:

lolbou
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by lolbou »

skylark44 wrote:If you need specs on the pickups for that bass, then check out http://www.matsumoku.org ...
Been there already... :wink: But my bass ain't recorded in it. From what I've seen, it's a made in Korea one from 89-90.

What I really need to know is how a stock US precision pickup would match a bridge Jazz one, especially outputwise. I don't know if this really matters, but I would expect both outputs to be somehow balanced in a PJ bass configuration... ?
- Uh, no, I'm a mocker.

lietuvis
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by lietuvis »

Hi. I think you can install and match almost any pickups. Normally on instrument you suppose to be able adjust pickup height: closer or further from strings, this would also adjust pickup output level, this would allow to match two pickups. Hope this helps and I didn't say nonsense.

lolbou
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by lolbou »

lietuvis wrote:Normally on instrument you suppose to be able adjust pickup height: closer or further from strings, this would also adjust pickup output level,
Makes sense indeed, thanks! :wink: Though I wonder how different the output are expected to be... I may go to my local music shop to check a P bass and a J bass at same amp settings!
- Uh, no, I'm a mocker.

DaveKerr
Solder Soldier
Information
my favorite amplifier: Ampeg M-15
Dynacord Preference 500
Completed builds: Fuzz Face (2)
Tonebender MKII (3)
ROG Tri-Vibe
PAiA Ring Mod kit
Ring Mod based on Tim E schematic (2)
Rangemaster
CNO
ROG Splitter-Blender
Clari (Not) cubed deluxe

Post by DaveKerr »

Jason Lollar has some good info on pickup inductance. Even with a lower inductance, you might find that the J pickup sounds pretty well balanced because it emphasizes the high end a bit more than the P. If you feel the need you could always throw a blend pot in there to dial in the balance to taste.
... multiple LFO waveforms (saw up, saw down, triangle, square); a more flexible envelope with attack/release controls as well as inverted envelope. I am afraid it will have more knobs than the TGP annual convention - frequencycentral

skylark44
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by skylark44 »

"J" pickups are punchy & bright (great for slapping, etc..."P" pickups have more low end & rumble. Most stock-type "J" pickups are around the 6-7k output range, and most "P"-stlye pickups are usually around 8.2-8.6k...but several companies have hotter versions of both. The hotter ones usually incorporate ceramic, or AlNiCo-5 magnets...and most "vintage" ones use AlNiCo-2 magnets. :mrgreen:

GuitarlCarl
Cap Cooler
Information
my favorite amplifier: anything tube
Completed builds: Ds-1 mods, SD-1 mods, Small Clone mods, Muff build, Axis build, various other transistor booster builds... I can build a badaxe harmonic perc, but I can't get a fuzzface to sound worth a crap!

Post by GuitarlCarl »

I agree, the differences between those two types of pickup are what make them a nice choice for a variety of tones. and you should be able to adjust pup heights to get the vols close between them. I don't know how much you use your tone control, but don't forget a treble bleeder cap to keep from losing volume when you roll the tone back, especially for that P bass pup. I also like using stacked pots when I rewire those types of bass controls, to give each pup their own vol/tone... split coil jazz pups can help kill the hum when playing them solo too...
I want it to sound like bees buzzing around in a 55 gallon drum...

rbstep
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by rbstep »

You can buy the set for the P/J configuration. Basslines sells several different P/J sets.....

lolbou
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by lolbou »

OKay, just an update...

I went for these Fender 62 pickups : 0992046000 for the Precision, and 0992123000 for the set of 2 JB pickups. My brother-in-law (whose job is to be a bass player) needed one JB neck pickup for his '75, so the set was useful in this very situation.

Now, on my bass, I drilled an extra hole to have a V/V/T configuration while keeping the 3-way selector. Other upgrades are CTS pots, switchcraft selector + jack, Gotoh tuners and new nut. It has also been shielded and properly wired.

The sound is very good (someone did remove the blanket tand pillow that had been over it) and the pickups match nicely. AND the bass is dead-silent, no matter what.

Thx for your input!

ps: I did find some interesting reading on this site : http://www.moore.org.au/pick001.htm. Happy browsing...
- Uh, no, I'm a mocker.

DavidRavenMoon
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: Vox AC30 TB, Marshall JCM800.

Post by DavidRavenMoon »

skylark44 wrote:"J" pickups are punchy & bright (great for slapping, etc..."P" pickups have more low end & rumble. Most stock-type "J" pickups are around the 6-7k output range, and most "P"-stlye pickups are usually around 8.2-8.6k...but several companies have hotter versions of both. The hotter ones usually incorporate ceramic, or AlNiCo-5 magnets...and most "vintage" ones use AlNiCo-2 magnets. :mrgreen:
Standard P pickups are about 11K. This is why P/J basses don't balance well. You can find some under wound P pickups that will work, but then won't sound like a stock P.
"You give a better performance if you skip the eyes" - Raymond Scott
--
Coney Island Guitars