Do no load pots actually "click" ?

Pickups, wiring schemes, switch techniques and onboard active electronics for guitars and basses
JVanDe7
Resistor Ronker
Information
Completed builds: DAM Red Rooster clone, Zvex Octane 3 clone, Zvex Fuzz Factory clone, Maestro MFZ-1 clone, Fulltone Soul Bender clone, Fulltone 69 clone, Green Russian Muff clone, Dallas Rangemaster clone, Mosrite Fuzzrite clone, EA Tremolo, VOX Clyde McCoy wah, Jordan Bosstone clone, Analogman Sun Face clone...

Post by JVanDe7 »

I just received a CTS 250k no load pot in the mail, and it's my first one I've ever dealt with. I plan to use it for the bridge tone control on my Stratocaster. I want the added oomph and treble of no-load in that bridge slot.

Anywho, it doesn't actually click into place when turned fully on/up. The description of the part lead me to believe it would. Did I receive a regular audio pot maybe? Or is that just how they are?
“Walk tall, kick ass, learn to speak Arabic, love music and never forget you come from a long line of truth seekers, lovers and warriors.”
― Hunter S. Thompson

lolbou
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by lolbou »

Not a real "click" to me (I mean no click sound), but more like a detent that can be easily felt. From a 1997 US Strat.
- Are you a mod or a rocker?
- Uh, no, I'm a mocker.

JVanDe7
Resistor Ronker
Information
Completed builds: DAM Red Rooster clone, Zvex Octane 3 clone, Zvex Fuzz Factory clone, Maestro MFZ-1 clone, Fulltone Soul Bender clone, Fulltone 69 clone, Green Russian Muff clone, Dallas Rangemaster clone, Mosrite Fuzzrite clone, EA Tremolo, VOX Clyde McCoy wah, Jordan Bosstone clone, Analogman Sun Face clone...

Post by JVanDe7 »

There is no detent on this one. It looks different though. Lugs 1 and 3 have a weird thing at the base. I'll do a quick DMM test...

Okay it works. There is absolutely no detent but it goes up to 280k and then to "1" which is wide open I assume. Weird that there is no notch/detent. It says CTS on the pot and looks quality/legit. Bought from guitarelectronics.com
“Walk tall, kick ass, learn to speak Arabic, love music and never forget you come from a long line of truth seekers, lovers and warriors.”
― Hunter S. Thompson

lolbou
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by lolbou »

There has to be a sorta inside "dent" made in the pot casing (bottom) to have this detent. Maybe yours is too shallow to actually be felt?
- Are you a mod or a rocker?
- Uh, no, I'm a mocker.

.Mike
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by .Mike »

I have a couple of the Fender brand no-loads from guitarelectronics.com. They definitely have a detent at the end.

In fact, the product description specifically says that they click into place.

The CTS description, though, doesn't say that they click into place, so I bet they don't.

I would rather not have it click into place. Even after 5 years, I find the detent to be too deep, and it is difficult to gradually move away from the detent.

I did see that Bourns released a no-load pot, PDB241-GNL, in the last few months. Distribution is poor, though, and the only shop that sells them online wants about $13 to ship me one!

Mike
My website: America's Debate | My effects site: Just one more build...

JVanDe7
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by JVanDe7 »

Right on. Good point. Might be better that it doesn't click into place. I just wanted to be sure I got what I asked/paid for. And I did.

I wanted it because I changed my Strat wiring - moved the middle tone control to the bridge pickup instead (so now only the middle pickup has no tone control). And I love having the tone control there instead of in the middle, but I still want to be able to achieve that raw treble bridge sound.
― Hunter S. Thompson

cpm
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by cpm »

cant a regular guitar pot be modded into this no-load thing? if its open at the legs you can cut with a sharp knife the top track.
i remember doing it some time to a smaller pot for a pedal...

rizibiz
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by rizibiz »

I modded regular CTS tone pots on all of my strats to no-load pots.
It's easy just follow this guide:
http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/pots.htm

I love them. However they do make a barely audible noise when the wiper contacts the carbon track. :secret: