Toneczar Dove on Ebay.

Posts on strange stompboxes on ebay, old amps from a garage sale, new boutique businesses, great deals, all these topics go in here.
tonight, we ride
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: Marshall JCM 900 2500
Completed builds: TS-808 kit, Orange Squeezer kit, Super Duper clone, Big Muff (russian re-issue) creamy dreamer switchable mod,

Post by tonight, we ride »

Anyone else seen this? Potential Tracer's Fund investment or am I in the minority by being interested in seeing this? I suppose it's likely that it's a just a variation on the Openhaus circuit though...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TONECZAR-DOVE- ... 3f15162063

Hides-His-Eyes
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Hides-His-Eyes »

It's very pretty
Testing, testing, won too fwee

tonight, we ride
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: Marshall JCM 900 2500
Completed builds: TS-808 kit, Orange Squeezer kit, Super Duper clone, Big Muff (russian re-issue) creamy dreamer switchable mod,

Post by tonight, we ride »

Yeah, very pretty expensive!

I read on the gear page that the polished enclosure gives it better grounding...

mictester
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Mesa Boogie, Roost Sessionmaster, AC30
Completed builds: Hundreds! Mostly originals, a few clones and lots of modifications.

Post by mictester »

tonight, we ride wrote:Anyone else seen this? Potential Tracer's Fund investment or am I in the minority by being interested in seeing this? I suppose it's likely that it's a just a variation on the Openhaus circuit though...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TONECZAR-DOVE- ... 3f15162063
£400?[/i][/b][/color]

I'm in the wrong game!

I could turn out 10 "hand built" things like that a day.... That would be a profit of well over £3000 per day! I'd just need to hype the thing a bit on TGP, goop the board, tell stories about how it's not related to a Tubescreamer, issue silly DMCA claims against FSB, hype it a bit more and just watch the money roll in....

After a while, I could take a very expensive and extended holiday - I could stop making them for a while, and build up a huge waiting list for added credibility (taking 100% deposits while I don't bother making anything)....

I'll need to buy some polish, too.....
"Why is it humming?" "Because it doesn't know the words!"

Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Dirk_Hendrik »

No, you cannot (handbuild). I'd be a very long day. (but definitely worth the money)

You could look at the Cornish style though.
You make a Big muff clone which sells at approx 600 euro's.
You have a waiting list and therefore no need for a dealer network, sales office, personell etc. etc.
You use standard components available at lousy prices. No need to tell you, you know that drill perfectly well.

This means you have to work for say 5 days a month to spit out some 20 units. That's 12000 euro's.

and 3 weeks off!
Sorry. Plain out of planes.

http://www.dirk-hendrik.com

mictester
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Mesa Boogie, Roost Sessionmaster, AC30
Completed builds: Hundreds! Mostly originals, a few clones and lots of modifications.

Post by mictester »

Just for the sake of interest, I built ten identical digital delay units, based on the PT2399, using a quad op-amp and a 4066 (for the switching). They can be battery powered (but take a bit too much current for normal types - it's better to use rechargeables). They sound OK (I don't really like the PT2399) and they already have buyers. The PCBs were already etched (by a local company I use) and I had powder-coated, pre-drilled diecast boxes to put them into....

I got all ten built in less than a working day!

If I was charging "boutique" prices, I could have made (perhaps) £3500 for that day's work!
"Why is it humming?" "Because it doesn't know the words!"

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: my jansen bassman 50
Completed builds: rebote 2.5; supreaux; odie; heartthrob tremolo; ross phaser; dr. boogey; thor; baja black toast; slow gear attack, rebote, tri-vibe, small clone, little angel, magnus modulus, echo base, hex fuzz, big muff, 22/7.

Post by rocklander »

mictester wrote:Just for the sake of interest, I built ten identical digital delay units, based on the PT2399, using a quad op-amp and a 4066 (for the switching). They can be battery powered (but take a bit too much current for normal types - it's better to use rechargeables). They sound OK (I don't really like the PT2399) and they already have buyers. The PCBs were already etched (by a local company I use) and I had powder-coated, pre-drilled diecast boxes to put them into....

If I was charging "boutique" prices, I could have made (perhaps) £3500 for that day's work!
shared the schematics/layouts?
world's greatest tautologist ...in the world
Ronsonic wrote:...the lower the stakes the more vicious the combat.

Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Dirk_Hendrik »

mictester wrote:. The PCBs were already etched (by a local company I use)
had powder-coated, pre-drilled diecast boxes to put them into....

Yes,
When all pre-work is done.. then 10 is rather easy.

Did you use wiring to all jacks, pots and other junk or did you make a smart design that incorporated these on the board already? Reducing the number of wires that need to be stripped and soldered saves hours.

engineelite
Information

Post by engineelite »

I'm considering getting a toneczar dove after hearing a friend's dove because it was absolutely amazing. Blew me away with every guitar and amp that I played it though. I'm a huge fan of DIY building and also this site in general. I'd be willing to send the pedal to whoever is the best guy for the job... take it apart, measure all components, draw a schematic, and put the pedal back together as perfectly as possible and send it back to me.

I'm willing to send it after I get one but I have a couple of requests on my end:

1. I'd like to be reimbursed for shipping.. From whoever wants to volunteer.
2. I'd like for someone to offer to make me a pcb or 2 for free after its all done :)

Thoughts?

Greenmachine
Cap Cooler
Information
my favorite amplifier: Fender Blackface Deluxe Reverb
Completed builds: Electra Distortion
Roger Mayer Octavia
Klon Centaur (Bajaman/Soulsonic)
DOD 440 Envelope Filter
MXR Phase 90
DOD FET Preamp
Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face
Soulsonic Hunny Bunny Overdrive
BYOC Analog Delay
Craig Anderton Headphone Amp
Anderton Mini Amp
Bajaman Real Tube Overdrive
Fender Deluxe 5E3 with Tone Stack Mod.
Fender Princeton 5F2-a
Keen Neovibe
Aquapuss Delay
Anderton AMS-100 Guitar Synth (abandoned)
DOD 280 Compressor
Weird Sound Generator
Beavis Audio Noisy Cricket
80's Rat
ROG Thor
Big Muff
Green Ringer
Shin-Ei Fuzz
MXR Dynacomp
COT50
Really Cheap Compressor

Post by Greenmachine »

Send it to Digi2t. But frankly, usually people don't make demands for pcbs or anything - it goes against the culture of the forum, which is sort of a "share the wealth" for the intrinsic value. Though it is very good of you to offer to do this and I for one appreciate it very much. :D
"[Y]ou want sketchy, dude? I breadboard on a door." -- RnFR, 2011
"This amp is freakin loud, like crazy, I'm going to kill pets loud." -- mich, 2011

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

engineelite wrote: 1. I'd like to be reimbursed for shipping.. From whoever wants to volunteer.
2. I'd like for someone to offer to make me a pcb or 2 for free after its all done :)

Thoughts?
I'm sure whoever volunteers to potentially spend hours painstakingly tracing and drawing the schematic for free will pay to post it back to you. If it gets traced quickly, people often knock out osh Park pcbs anyone can buy direct: if it sounds amazing I'll buy some and send you a couple.
modman wrote: Let's hope it's not a hit, because soldering up the same pedal everyday, is a sad life. It's that same ole devilish double bind again...

engineelite
Information

Post by engineelite »

Nocentelli wrote:
engineelite wrote: 1. I'd like to be reimbursed for shipping.. From whoever wants to volunteer.

Thoughts?
I'm sure whoever volunteers to potentially spend hours painstakingly tracing and drawing the schematic for free will pay to post it back to you. If it gets traced quickly, people often knock out osh Park pcbs anyone can buy direct: if it sounds amazing I'll buy some and send you a couple.
I wouldn't really want the tracer to have to spend their own money to send it back to me as they have volunteered their time and effort already. If a few people wanted to pitch for shipping both ways then that would be awesome.

Good to know about the Park pcbs! Thanks.

I'll let you guys know when the Dove arrives.

IvIark
Tube Twister
Information

Post by IvIark »

If we get a volunteer from one of the very clever and patient guys on here who do that kind of thing, I'll pay postage both ways. I'll pay for your postage as soon as he receives it, and send him the return postage at the same time.
"If anyone is a 'genius' for putting jacks in such a pedal in the only spot where they could physically fit, then I assume I too am a genius for correctly inserting my legs into my pants this morning." - candletears7 - TGP

Intripped
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by Intripped »

If there isn't goop and the PCB is a single or dual layer we can trace the circuit with just some hi-res pics.
No shipping no refund no complications
...but a good camera (and good photographer) is required

Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Dirk_Hendrik »

It could be handy if engineelite gave a hint of his global location. That way someone with tracing capabilities nearby could be easier to find.

engineelite
Information

Post by engineelite »

I'm in CO, USA. If there is no goop, then I could definitely try some hi-res pics first since that might make it easy. I'll update you all as soon as I get the pedal. Thanks.

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YVM-1
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

wait guys
I already have a Dove in my possession...
"Analog electronics in music is dead. Analog effects pedal design is a dead art." - Fran

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YVM-1
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

But the owner of this Dove doesn't want me to destroy it, so I haven't disassembled it.
All the transistors, opamps, and capacitors have had their values removed, so the only way to get accurate values of things like caps would be to totally disassemble it and measure them. And we will likely never be able to know exactly what opamps are in it.

The circuit appears to be almost identical to the OpenHaus - germanium fuzz face style circuit with opamp stages before and opamp tone controls after. Probably almost the exact same thing with values tweaked to give it a much milder drive and a different overall tone.

Sorry I hadn't really posted anything about this yet, but I was reluctant to since I'm not going to completely disassemble this one.
But if engineelite wouldn't mind having his disassembled and potentially wrecked (though I'm sure it could be totally rebuilt easily), I'd be willing to tear his up. There's no goop that I can see.

And, like the OpenHaus, the pcb layout is terrible and I really hope no one copies it exactly, because that would be a completely pointless waste of time. It's constructed in a way that I personally find disturbing. It's all these stiff wires twisted tightly together, so it feels almost impossible to remove from the box without breaking something. He could make some common-sense changes to the layout and these things would be 100x easier for him to build. It's like he's made it unnecessarily complicated and labor-intensive to assemble for no reason at all.
"Analog electronics in music is dead. Analog effects pedal design is a dead art." - Fran

engineelite
Information

Post by engineelite »

^Thanks for the info. I don't mind having the parts disassembled but if it is a safe assumption that the IC's are the same as the openhaus then we should build the circuit with the same opa2604 chips and see if it works before removing them from the dove.

Soulsonic, if you could post some high quality pics that would be awesome! Maybe we could get a start on a layout

Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Dirk_Hendrik »

Great work guys!
engineelite wrote: build the circuit with the same opa2604 chips and see if it works
And this is the problem with dual opamps. It will work. With almost any dual opamp (provided the pinning is the same). Therefore that method will not identify the exact type.