Wampler - Plexi-Drive  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
azrael
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by azrael »

Did you use eagle to make that layout? if so, can you upload your .brd and .sch files?

lukatosh
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by lukatosh »

i'm afraid that i delete them :(

but the layout, PCB and part list are on page 3 :)

azrael
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by azrael »

why would you delete them? meh, waddling through your layout is tedious haha

lukatosh
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by lukatosh »

i had to reinstall windows on my laptop

I only save that rar file...i thought that everything was inside of it... but no :(

azrael
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by azrael »

Well, I waded through your schematic, seems to check out.
Check for shorts anywhere. It should not be behaving as you report.

box
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by box »

Hi,
nice link regarding above:
http://www.4shared.com/office/xypcM8j6/ ... Chris.html
Regards,
box

mganzer
Information

Post by mganzer »

This layout was produced by the brazilian Chris on handmades.com.br
Original Thread:
http://www.handmades.com.br/forum/index ... pic=3135.0

tjk3052
Information

Post by tjk3052 »

I just finished building this using the layout on page 2. I added an input cap and a pull down resistor as discussed on page 3. I picked through 10 jfets and got 3 that bias at 5.3-5.6V, which I guess is a little high, but I kept it as is because it sounds good. Not as much gain as I thought it would be, but it sounds good without any tweaks.

https://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac1 ... veGuts.jpg
https://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac1 ... iDrive.jpg

HHR18
Information

Post by HHR18 »

I want to sort some J201s on voltage without having to open up my Plexi-Drive again (it was a tight fit with the veroboard). Is there any way to create a separate voltage test circuit for j201s? I can't be that hard but I'm a noob so I can't, for the life of me, figure out how. Thanks!

BAARON
Information
Completed builds: About 50-60 pedals, five amps, and literally countless guitars.

Post by BAARON »

If you want to see how they're going to behave (voltage-wise) in the Plexi-drive circuit, just build a little circuit mimicing one of the gain stages (since they're all biased the same). Put a transistor socket on your board with a 1k resistor from source to ground, a 1M resistor from gate to ground, and a 15k resistor from drain to your 9v power source. Voila. Measure your voltages - no mathematical calculations needed to see how they're going to perform in a Plexi-drive configuration.

HHR18
Information

Post by HHR18 »

BAARON wrote:If you want to see how they're going to behave (voltage-wise) in the Plexi-drive circuit, just build a little circuit mimicing one of the gain stages (since they're all biased the same). Put a transistor socket on your board with a 1k resistor from source to ground, a 1M resistor from gate to ground, and a 15k resistor from drain to your 9v power source. Voila. Measure your voltages - no mathematical calculations needed to see how they're going to perform in a Plexi-drive configuration.
Thanks for the confirmation, I build exactly that circuit just before your reply and was able to measure the voltages :) These J201s are all over the place, out of 10 only 2 or 3 where within the 4.5 - 5.0V range. Gonna try it with these new ones, the old ones had voltages of 5.8 and higher!

HHR18
Information

Post by HHR18 »

The two new amp simulations by Wampler (Black '65 and Tweed '57) feature 3 band EQ. What would need to be added or changed to get this on this pedal?

geiristudio
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by geiristudio »

I built a box with two Plexi-Drives using the layout Mark made (http://www.tagboardeffects.com). I already built a single one but I loved the tone so much that I gave that one to my friend and built a double one for myself. On the right side I keep it low-gain for "tube-like" saturation/crunch and the left side I have a bit more gain for some rhythm stuff. I also use Marks offboard wiring layout which eliminates popping on every pedal because the input is grounded through the switch.

Anyways, here's a photo of my build:

I put the two bass switches on the back.

Sorry for the large image. I just couldn't be bothered making it any smaller.

Cheers!

andregarcia57
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by andregarcia57 »

indyguitarist-wampler-plexi-drive is the same pedal?
those are trimpots to set 4.5v in J201?
thanks
Attachments
indyguitarist-wampler-plexi-drive-n-fulltone-xotic-barber_MLB-F-3212727291_102012.jpg

dludo59
Information
Completed builds: Fulltone OCD, MXR Phase 90, Custom Boost & Custom Metal pedals

Post by dludo59 »

I recently stumbled on the Plexi Drive while searching for information about j201 pedals and designs. So I decided to breadboard this one :wink:

I really like the sound it gives but I have some doubts and questions about all the gain/biasing stuff. When I ordered parts for this build I didn't know JFETs and especially j201's had to be biased, so I only got a bag of 4 j201's... At first the sound was gatted because my drain voltages were sitting at approx. 2.6V for each transistor with 15k stock resistor (they all seemed to have the same characteristics - except for Q3...). So I had to set the drain voltages for Q1, Q2 and Q3 by modifying the stock 15k resistors with these values : 10k for Q1 and Q2, and 7.4k for Q3. This gives me approx. 4.8V as drain voltage for all transistors.

However, I have 2 questions that puzzle me :

- when the gain control is turned all the way down, I have no sound : is this the normal behaviour of the design ? I know the 1k resistor going to ground on the first gain stage should ensure a minimal gain, but just wondering...
- how much can the overall gain be affected by using lower values for drain resistors ? Is it correct to assume the gain for each transistor is roughly calculated by dividing the drain resistor by the source resistor value ?

When the gain is cranked all the way up the sound is overdriven but it seems a little anemic to me...

Thanks guys !

Gboutique
Information

Post by Gboutique »

dludo59 wrote:I recently stumbled on the Plexi Drive while searching for information about j201 pedals and designs. So I decided to breadboard this one :wink:

I really like the sound it gives but I have some doubts and questions about all the gain/biasing stuff. When I ordered parts for this build I didn't know JFETs and especially j201's had to be biased, so I only got a bag of 4 j201's... At first the sound was gatted because my drain voltages were sitting at approx. 2.6V for each transistor with 15k stock resistor (they all seemed to have the same characteristics - except for Q3...). So I had to set the drain voltages for Q1, Q2 and Q3 by modifying the stock 15k resistors with these values : 10k for Q1 and Q2, and 7.4k for Q3. This gives me approx. 4.8V as drain voltage for all transistors.

However, I have 2 questions that puzzle me :

- when the gain control is turned all the way down, I have no sound : is this the normal behaviour of the design ? I know the 1k resistor going to ground on the first gain stage should ensure a minimal gain, but just wondering...
- how much can the overall gain be affected by using lower values for drain resistors ? Is it correct to assume the gain for each transistor is roughly calculated by dividing the drain resistor by the source resistor value ?

When the gain is cranked all the way up the sound is overdriven but it seems a little anemic to me...

Thanks guys !
That is wrong.... Brian recommend set up all j201 (matched) to 4.5V - 5VDC max in drain voltage., do not change any resistor value.. You must sort a set of 3 J201 to accomplish it. This is important for to have a true clone PlexyDrive..

dludo59
Information
Completed builds: Fulltone OCD, MXR Phase 90, Custom Boost & Custom Metal pedals

Post by dludo59 »

Gboutique wrote:That is wrong.... Brian recommend set up all j201 (matched) to 4.5V - 5VDC max in drain voltage., do not change any resistor value.. You must sort a set of 3 J201 to accomplish it. This is important for to have a true clone PlexyDrive..
Ok, guess I'll have to buy a bunch of j201 and pray to have the perfect trio then !

lukatosh
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by lukatosh »

dludo59 wrote:
Gboutique wrote:That is wrong.... Brian recommend set up all j201 (matched) to 4.5V - 5VDC max in drain voltage., do not change any resistor value.. You must sort a set of 3 J201 to accomplish it. This is important for to have a true clone PlexyDrive..
Ok, guess I'll have to buy a bunch of j201 and pray to have the perfect trio then !
hello!... I don't understand....

you need to:

1.- match 3 jfets at any vgs
2.- match 3 jfets at 4.5v?

i've got 3 matched but at 0.6v

dludo59
Information

Post by dludo59 »

lukatosh wrote:hello!... I don't understand....

you need to:

1.- match 3 jfets at any vgs
2.- match 3 jfets at 4.5v?

i've got 3 matched but at 0.6v
Hello,

You have to match 3 j201 at 4.5-5v (drain voltage). Your only luck is to buy several j201 and hope to stumble on a good trio. Unfortunately you have no way to predict the values you will get, so you have to buy large quantities. Check Ebay for that.

Nicht Bernd
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Nicht Bernd »

Why not puting a Trimmpoti for the 10R resistor?